Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #106
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Okay, I hadn't yet played with the new and "improved" Bookerly, so, that was the perfect excuse to go ahead and try my hand at handling the Panose stuff like FontForge, but with fontTools instead: fix-panose.py.

And, apparently, it works .

My usual shenanigans for Bookerly, which I used to do by hand via FontForge:

Code:
fonts=("${(@f)$(ls -1 ./Bookerly-*.ttf)}")

for font in "${fonts[@]}" ; do
	gftools fix-vertical-metrics -a 802 -d -198 -l 0 "${font}"
	mv -v "${font%.*}.fix.ttf" "${font}"
	gftools nametable-from-filename "${font}"
	mv -v "${font}.fix" "${font}"
	fix-panose.py "${font}"
	mv -v "${font}.fix" "${font}"
done
(That's ZSH. Too lazy to dumb that down ;p).

And it behaves .

Sidebar, since I'm using an unhinted CFF Literata 3, and I tried the latest unhinted TTF Bookerly:

ACCESS (Monotype's iType?) *really* doesn't like unhinted fonts, CFF or TTF.
RMSDK appears to deal with unhinted CFF mostly properly (makes sense, it's Adobe), but deals with unhinted TTFs only slightly less badly than ACCESS.

TL;DR: You'll probably want to stick to hinted TTFs, or eventually unhinted CFFs if you read plain ePubs.
(Official Literata builds ship as TTF anyways).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-18-2020 at 08:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:54 AM   #107
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Sidebar, since I'm using an unhinted CFF Literata 3, and I tried the latest unhinted TTF Bookerly:

ACCESS (Monotype's iType?) *really* doesn't like unhinted fonts, CFF or TTF.
RMSDK appears to deal with unhinted CFF mostly properly (makes sense, it's Adobe), but deals with unhinted TTFs only slightly less badly than ACCESS.

TL;DR: You'll probably want to stick to hinted TTFs, or eventually unhinted CFFs if you read plain ePubs.
(Official Literata builds ship as TTF anyways).
It all depends on the hinting...

I've seen some hand-hinted fonts that look truly awful on the Kobo (RMSDK, TTF), but no font with the hints stripped have every given me any problems, so YMMV.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #108
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, some old/complex truetype hinting going kablooey doesn't surprise me all that much .

My experience with unhinted fonts has been pretty much uniformly terrible, on the other hand (but I tend to prefer CFF, which prooobably doesn't help).
Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
It all depends on the hinting...

I've seen some hand-hinted fonts that look truly awful on the Kobo (RMSDK, TTF), but no font with the hints stripped have every given me any problems, so YMMV.
ChareInk isn't hinted and it works well with RMSDK, Access, and Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #110
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ChareInk isn't hinted and it works well with RMSDK, Access, and Kindle.
Ah. Then you might add "depends on taste/sensibility", to the list, too, because I'd definitely consider that one to render like crap on Kobo .

(And I do mean on Kobo. Because, while I don't necessarily *like* it, it renders much better on Kindle and/or with recent FreeType versions in KOReader or Plato).
Old 05-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #111
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi sherman, thank you for maintaining the ReadifyFont script.

I wanted to alert you to a possible shortcoming I found when running the output of the latest Literata v3 build through the script where Styles (SubFamily) attribute wasn't modified as expected to match the configuration in the script, so I had to manually correct these before using the ReadifyFont output on my Kobo device.

More details in this post.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #112
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JeanPierre: Literata 3 is a curious beast, because the main target is a variable font.

Which means the "fixed" builds end up having wonky metadata, sometimes dangerously so on Kobo.

Here are my own notes on how I deal with Literata (when building it from source): http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser.../REMINDER#L125
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #113
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Something is not right. Or, I do not understand (which sounds more plausible). I start with the downloaded Bitter HT font and work from there, in three manners.

(a) Modify with ReadifyFonts the fonts Medium and MediumItalic, to rename them to Regular and strip panose info. Add the downloaded fonts Bold and BoldItalic.

(b) The same four files as above. Modify ALL of them via ReadifyFonts.

(c) The same four files as above. Edit the two Medium fonts via FontForge. Add the downloaded fonts Bold and BoldItalic.

I tried with Kobo KEPUB reader (with store KEPUB books) and with KOREADER with sideloaded EPUB files). The only option that works is (c). Otherwise the fonts are defect (letters like B, d, p have their "eye" filled in black).

This is not consistent. For some other fonts, the three options are equivalent.

Last edited by gogu1904; 08-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #114
jesson345
Enthusiast
jesson345 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Error info:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\kobo\KoboifyFonts-v0.3.1\KoboifyFonts-0.3.1.py", line 136, in <module>
for key, val in fontDic.iteritems():
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'iteritems'

What should I do?
jesson345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:07 AM   #115
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesson345 View Post
Error info:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\kobo\KoboifyFonts-v0.3.1\KoboifyFonts-0.3.1.py", line 136, in <module>
for key, val in fontDic.iteritems():
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'iteritems'

What should I do?
That looks like an error you get when you run a Python 2 script using Python 3. Changing "iteritems" to "items" on line 136 of the script might fix it (I can't remember if the Python 3 dictionary has the method items). Or install Python 2 and run it under that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:11 AM   #116
jesson345
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like an error you get when you run a Python 2 script using Python 3. Changing "iteritems" to "items" on line 136 of the script might fix it (I can't remember if the Python 3 dictionary has the method items). Or install Python 2 and run it under that.
Thanks!I will try it.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:14 AM   #117
jesson345
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Thanks again!It worked!
Old 05-05-2022, 05:01 AM   #118
iandol
Enthusiast
iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Isn't it recommended to use the more recently maintained ReadifyFont scripts rather than the older kobify-fonts one? At least that script seems to work with either version of Python...

https://github.com/shermp/ReadifyFont

Last edited by iandol; 05-05-2022 at 05:32 AM.
iandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:46 AM   #119
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandol View Post
Isn't it recommended to use the more recently maintained ReadifyFont scripts rather than the older kobify-fonts one? At least that script seems to work with either version of Python...

https://github.com/shermp/ReadifyFont
Quote:
b9a7d4e on Nov 10, 2016
Err... "recent". Yeah, it's been a while since I worked on any of this font stuff.

I kept meaning to move to using something like fonttools instead of FontForge, but it never quite happened. Maybe some day...
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:12 AM   #120
zertyuiop
zertyuiop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Here are my own notes on how I deal with Literata (when building it from source): http://trac.ak-team.com/trac/browser.../REMINDER#L125
Can you please share your notes again as well as fix-panose.py?
zertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font