Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
glorya
glorya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sorry if I "muddied" the waters ,,, my Dell is a Dimension. If I do a "reset" at this point in time, will I lose everything on my Kindle? If not, after doing that I will follow #4 suggestion also. I do have a Targus 4 port "thing-a-ma-jig" that plugs into one of my USB ports ... reminds me of what would be an extension cord bu thas the capability of putting 4 USB plugs into it. Is this what you mean in #5? I don't think the problem is Kindle, I think it is Dell ... couldn't be the operator, could it :-) LOL
glorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorya View Post
Sorry if I "muddied" the waters ,,, my Dell is a Dimension. If I do a "reset" at this point in time, will I lose everything on my Kindle? If not, after doing that I will follow #4 suggestion also. I do have a Targus 4 port "thing-a-ma-jig" that plugs into one of my USB ports ... reminds me of what would be an extension cord bu thas the capability of putting 4 USB plugs into it. Is this what you mean in #5? I don't think the problem is Kindle, I think it is Dell ... couldn't be the operator, could it :-) LOL
If the Targus 4-port USB hub has a separate power supply then it is what SirBruce was talking about. If the Targus 4-port USB hub is just the hub and a USB cable, then it won't help because it will be expecting to draw power from the Dell computer. The #5 suggestion is to overcome the possibility that your Dell computer is not supplying enough power to the USB ports. This is more likely to be the case if your computer is an older one without USB 2.0.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
glorya

My Dell is less than 2 yrs old running WIN-XP2 with enough hard drive space and memory, and it can see "My Book" which is an external hard drive. No problem there, just Mr. Kindle. My laptop is almost 3 yrs old and it recognizes the Kindle ... older but wiser??? :-) LOL The Targus does not have a separate power supply and just draws power, I figured that it wasn't what SirBruce was talking about but wanted to clarify. Thank you Elsi.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
A regular reset (not the factory defaults one) won't cause you to lose anything.

Don't know much about the Targus but given what Elsi said it sounds like it's not the same thing, but it's worth trying anyway if you can plug into that instead.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
glorya

I contacted Amazon once again and with no problem the technician said they would mail out a new Kindle 2 immediately and I would receive it the next day. They also emailed me a pre-paid UPS label to return the defunct Kindle. I did receive the new one the next day and it is working well. In fact it is working so well, I have been ordering more than I should from Amazon's website. :-) Thanks to you all for your input. Great site, great helpers. And it sure is nice doing business with Amazon when they stand behind their product. They have a satisfied customer.
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Thanks for letting us know how things turned out!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote