Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Do You Hulu?

BenG mentioned it the other day in the thread about Joss Whedon's Internet Musical. "Dr. Horrible" is indeed archived at http://www.hulu.com. But I'm finding Hulu to also be a great general-purpose alternative to live TV, which lately seems to consist of reruns, god-awful reality shows, and series with so many commercial breaks that it's difficult to follow the narratives.

Hulu is a free, legal video streaming service that has an amazingly eclectic selection of TV seriies from all the way back to the 1960s to the present. Hulu is supported by advertising, but the commercial breaks are infrequent and never longer than 30 seconds. Best of all, none of the advertisements have been for prescription drugs, which is a pet peeve of mine, but I digress.

I plan to use Hulu to skip the hoopla of the Olympics, the upcoming political conventions, and the mudslinging campaigns that will inevitably follow. I want to check out the old "Alfred Hitchcock Hour". I might decide to see if "Kojak" has stood the test of time as a police drama. I'm going to be a television archaeologist and dig out some gems that I missed before, without the effort of using TiVo or Netflix.

I don't know if the Hulu service model is economically viable, but I'm going to use the hell out of it for as long as it lasts!
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
sounds wonderful........I'm going there now! Thanks for the idea......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
sounds like a really interesting service, especially for those of us who like OLD television (Adam West as Batman, anyone ?). i hope it's not limited to US residents...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
sounds like a really interesting service, especially for those of us who like OLD television (Adam West as Batman, anyone ?). i hope it's not limited to US residents...
OH, I now have to put that series on my "I want" list.......I did love that show.......way better than the newer, darker ones. But then again, I feel the same way about the superman movies, altho the first one was okay.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

holy camp classic, batman, that series is comedy genius !!! and did you ever see the movie ?? oh my god, you will fall on the floor laughing ; i'm giggling just thinking about it.

"quick ! batman ! the bat-shark-repellant-spray !!" hahaha !!!!!
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Yes, the movie was wonderful....
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I can't believe its not available on DVD.......

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Movie-A...858294&sr=1-32
Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I can't believe its not available on DVD.......

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Movie-A...858294&sr=1-32
what do you mean ? it looks like it's available on dvd in that page. otherwise you can just get it as a download ; then you don't even have to wait for shipping. you could watch it today.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
.... i hope it's not limited to US residents...
Bah! I'm getting:

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States"

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

bastards. that drives me crazy. same thing with pandora.

time to try it with a proxy i think...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Bah! I'm getting:

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States"

and for me
not seeing the 'used' options...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I can understand your frustration.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Not to worry -
nothing lost, nothing gained
status quo - 'tis maintained.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not to worry -
nothing lost, nothing gained
status quo - 'tis maintained.
alas.

(i know i know : it doesn't rhyme.
my disappointment is to blame.)
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For Non US residents, there is a way to get access to it if they want.

They could use a proxy server, which goes through a US I.P. address.
The only problem is that most Proxies are slow, so not that ideal for video.

The one I recommend is Hotspot Shield From AnchorFree

Its a free download, supported by them inserting a few ads over the webpages, which can be closed pretty easily.

I won't recommend you doing any thing that really needs security such as banking, etc over it, but for streaming media, its pretty good.

Edit-
I checked that that the first 3GB in a month are free, if you want to use more, you have to pay. but hey, thats slill a lot of hours of TV
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote