Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
Ckeen
Ckeen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
PRS 505 Starting up...

Hi, this is my first post out of desperado, after a month of buying this sony reader from ebay, I am not in USA, my Reader just frozen on USB connected, then I reset using a paper clip pushing a hole at the back and slide the power button then it freezed at Reader starting up...
Then I browsed internet finding solutions and found wikimobile for 10 resets (pushed paper clip and slide power buttons ten times) then pressed both book mark button and volume + for a few seconds, then it goes into firmware updating and says firmware update did not complete or something, then I hooked up USB cable to PC and it says firmware updating and freezed there for a long time.
Again I disconnected from USB and do the reset and now its been frozen on Reader updating...
HELP please, I ve tried to fully charged the battery using USB before doing the 10 resets and no luck
I am thinking about Russification using SD cards and download the files, unzip to SD card and put into SD slot and press 6 button but nothing happened.
Hear there will be firmware update in the future but nothing concrete, even one available then how to do the update I cant even connect to ebook software.
Pls help me... I know there are someone out there with the knowledge and I am prepared to be guided even though I am not into all these stuff, I just want something to get rid of allergic smell and microorganisms from old dusty paper books.
Ckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm sorry but doing 10 resets was a bad idea. There is currently no official firmware update for 505, so you're stuck waiting for it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckeen View Post
Hi, this is my first post out of desperado, after a month of buying this sony reader from ebay, I am not in USA, my Reader just frozen on USB connected, then I reset using a paper clip pushing a hole at the back and slide the power button then it freezed at Reader starting up...
Then I browsed internet finding solutions and found wikimobile for 10 resets (pushed paper clip and slide power buttons ten times) then pressed both book mark button and volume + for a few seconds, then it goes into firmware updating and says firmware update did not complete or something, then I hooked up USB cable to PC and it says firmware updating and freezed there for a long time.
Again I disconnected from USB and do the reset and now its been frozen on Reader updating...
HELP please, I ve tried to fully charged the battery using USB before doing the 10 resets and no luck
I am thinking about Russification using SD cards and download the files, unzip to SD card and put into SD slot and press 6 button but nothing happened.
Hear there will be firmware update in the future but nothing concrete, even one available then how to do the update I cant even connect to ebook software.
Pls help me... I know there are someone out there with the knowledge and I am prepared to be guided even though I am not into all these stuff, I just want something to get rid of allergic smell and microorganisms from old dusty paper books.
Get a gmail account and email Sony and tell them it's stuck at firmware update and see if you can get them to send you the firmware to reflash. You can't lose anything by trying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Ckeen

Jon, do you know the email address for sony reader support, I tried the sony website but only found telephone number for the support under portable reader, if I call them, do you think they will bother since I am not in US. It will cost me as well for international call. Now really regret doing 10 resets. Now my options are to wait for firmware update or get the existing firmware somewhere as you said either from Sony or someone from US who already got the firmware from Sony, is there other option I can consider ?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
scotteggshell
scotteggshell began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER 505
I have a 505 with a similar problem (thread on this forum). Although mine acted up for a while before totally crashing.

With Igor's help I managed to start a terminal session with the unit and it appears to have some sort of virtual drive problem as it tries to unmout a drive which is unavailable or busy, the reboots. If you are good at linux you can see the capture file on the thread I started.

I am currently waiting on Firmware......

Scott
scotteggshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Ckeen

I could not wait for the firmware cause my reader just stuck on firmware update and frozen, does not response at all whether connected to USB or reset holes and anything. I ve already sent it back to Sony via seller in US for repair, very good support from the seller.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I hope you get it back soon. Let us know how it goes.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote