Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
ShanMcG
ShanMcG doesn't litterShanMcG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 & Nook Color
Apps without Rooting

I rooted my NC the other day and much to my surprise I wasn't sold on all the android features. I have an iphone which I am very happy with and I guess I just don't need all the fuctionality of a tablet right now. I'm a big ereader fan and I really enjoy the stock NC but would like to add a few apps. Is there any way to do this without rooting? Basically I would like to enable some Android features while maintaining the Nook Color UI. Is there any way to do this?

p.s I don't have access to the BN Apps store because I live in Canada...so thats not an option
ShanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
If you rooted your NC, as in used the Manual Nooter process to gain root access, then you would still have the B&N UI, as well as the ability to install apps. It sounds like you may have replaced the B&N operating system with a custom ROM.

What did you actually do? What instructions did you follow?

Most likely what you need to do is revert to stock, update to 1.2 (if that's not your stock ROM already), and use Manual Nooter to gain root access. You'll find all of the above in XDA's Nook Color Development forum:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Wait... I just saw your other thread and apparently you're using a CM7 SD card, so all you need to do is eject that card, make sure your stock OS is 1.2 (it will be somewhere under Settings), and follow the instructions to root with Manual Nooter: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1054027
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
ShanMcG

Yep, I have since restored the OS to stock, still need to install the 1.2 update but that should be easy enough. Thanks for the link to the manual nooter. Sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for. There is so much information on rooting that its mind numbing. Your replies are much appreciated! Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
ShanMcG

I was successful in installing the manual nooter and its EXACTLY what I want. Thanks again.
Advert