Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony or Nook Touch
Sony 73 60.83%
Nook Touch 47 39.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #46
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That alone would stop me from buying the Nook. I create my own PDF's (don't like any implementation of an epub reader so far), and those tend to become somewhat larger than a pdf (for example, the book I'm now reading is 1.5Mb in Epub and 4.7Mb in PDF). I'm also one that loves to keep all her books on her reader as I never know what my fance wants me to read at any time. And all those PDF's amount to about 400Mb so far (and the collection is growing...)
How much storage do you need?

Would 4 Gigs be enough? How about 8? Or 16 Gigs?

How about 32 Gigs? Would that do it for you?

MicroSD cards are getting cheaper every day, and unlike the Sony 350 (the only Sony in the Nooks price range) the Touch Nook has a MicroSD card slot.

Of course, if you can find one, and don't mind paying about a $100 more, so does the PRS-650.

Now, to manage that HUGE amount of space, you will probably want folder level navigation capabilities, but don't worry the Nook has this built in (where, sadly, the PRS-650 does not).

But the good news is . . .

You can match BOTH the expandable memory and folder navigation capabilities of the Nook, if you are simply willing to find, and buy, the much more expensive PRS-650, and then risk turning it into a much more expensive BRICK by hacking the firmware.

Last edited by delphin; 06-08-2011 at 06:24 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #47
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post

MicroSD cards are getting cheaper every day, and unlike the Sony 350 (the only Sony in the Nooks price range) the Touch Nook has a MicroSD card slot.

Of course, if you can find one, and don't mind paying about a $100 more, so does the PRS-650.

Now, to manage that HUGE amount of space, you will probably want folder level navigation capabilities, but don't worry the Nook has this built in (where, sadly, the PRS-650 does not).

You can match BOTH the expandable memory and folder navigation capabilities of the Nook, if you are simply willing to find, and buy, the much more expensive PRS-650, and then risk turning it into a much more expensive BRICK by hacking the firmware.
This is BS. I have 1GB worth of books on my 650 and a 8GB SDcard full of books, audiobooks and music for it. It blends them in with the collections in a couple of seconds. Maybe four or five and that's it, if at all this long. There is no need for any folder structure. It tells you if the book is on the devices storage or on the SDcard via a little icon.

As you can name the collections every name you want them to, it can be set up like you would with a folder structure, too. It is simply just a matter of being organized in Calibre.

The reason why the Nook is cheaper is it is a Simple Touch Reader. It has simple functions but no finesse.

And the 650 has been in stock constantly since the end of April at the SonyStoreWebsite. I'd rather you'd stop spreading false informations!!!! It is the second time today I read you making the untrue claim they are not to be found.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

The ability to put an external card doesn't mean I don't want internal memory too.

Quote:

I'll pay more if it offers me extra functionality. And, most of all, I'll pay more if I find it looks better.

Quote:
I was first thinking the same. But then, after working on the Sony, I found out the collections work very well too. But a sub-collection feature would be very handy, I agree.

Quote:

I "found" my Sony without troubles, and flashed the firmware with even less trouble. And I didn't do that for the folder browsing, but rather the extra applications that were included (and because I wanted to see how it worked...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #49
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Lists of features are no substitute for the experience of trying out each device. You wouldn't marry someone with whom you'd been corresponding until you'd actually met them, would you? Same thing, ideally, with a reader. You're going to depend on having an intimate relationship with the thing, so you'd better go to bed with it first:

Go to stores. Try both out. Trust your preference.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Lists of features are no substitute for the experience of trying out each device. You wouldn't marry someone with whom you'd been corresponding until you'd actually met them, would you? Same thing, ideally, with a reader. You're going to depend on having an intimate relationship with the thing, so you'd better go to bed with it first:

Go to stores. Try both out. Trust your preference.
That's not always an option... I've never even seen a Sony 650 (or 350) in a store. The Kindle can only be ordered online, and those few readers I have seen are behind layers of glass and most often not even powered.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #51
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
As you can name the collections every name you want them to, it can be set up like you would with a folder structure, too. It is simply just a matter of being organized in Calibre.

The reason why the Nook is cheaper is it is a Simple Touch Reader. It has simple functions but no finesse.

And the 650 has been in stock constantly since the end of April at the SonyStoreWebsite. I'd rather you'd stop spreading false informations!!!! It is the second time today I read you making the untrue claim they are not to be found.
The Nook is NOT 'Simple' compared to the Sony, it just has different features.

Yes, the Sony's do have a half-assed Landscape mode (that Sony never bothered to make work correctly) and marginally better PDF handling.

But the Nook has the ability to override EPUB document settings, with user selectable Fonts and Line Spacing, which gives it much better EPUB handling.

Let's see, I have about 1500 EPUBs on my Sony, and about a dozen PDFs, so which should I consider more useful?

The Sony PRS-650 has a MP3 player that most folks rarely, if ever, use. (because it will suck down your battery in hours instead of weeks)

The Nook Touch has WiFi access which allows direct purchase of books -PLUS- a better store to purchase them from -PLUS- access to GMail, Facebook, and Twitter. (yes I know that Barnes and Nobel isn't available outside the U.S. without jumping through some hoops, but neither is the Sony Store).

And organizing by 'tags' or 'collections' is NOT the same as organizing by folders, because folders are hierarchal (folders can go inside other folders, but collections can't go inside other collections).

The Nooks now do BOTH 'collections' (shelves) -AND- folder navigation.

And YES there is some value to having both of these, which is why this feature was added to PRS+
(but you shouldn't have to risk hacking your reader to have this feature, and with the Nook you don't)

So, given a fair comparison, the Nook certainly isn't more 'Simple' than the Sony, in some respects it's actually more sophisticated, and in others it's just different.

And as far as availability of the Sony PRS-650 goes . . .

Not everybody wants a putrid-pink PRS-650

And the PRS-650B, in black, remains chronically in short supply and much harder to find.

Last edited by delphin; 06-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Are all Sony users so defensive? No one is denying that your reader may have a better feature set for your needs, or telling you to cast your reader into the mouth of an active volcano and go buy a Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I chose Sony because the nook treats eBooks not purchased via B&N as second class eBooks. 250MB dedicated to non B&N bought eBooks? No way.
Quote:
The ability to put an external card doesn't mean I don't want internal memory too.
Seriously? You would rather pay a $100-ish premium for a few hundred MB than spend $15 on more book storage than you will likely use in your lifetime? What is it that distinguishes the flash storage inside the device from what you put in the slot, other than the flexibility to transfer the latter to another device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragyn View Post
I am not happy with B&N's proprietary drm, nor their interfaces: Books I load being segregated from books downloaded directly.
As the reviews have it, the STR interface is not segregated like the old Nooks. Not wanting to support the DRM and "ecosystem" model I can understand, but you can buy epubs anywhere except Amazon, so you needn't have any interaction with B&N whatsoever after purchase.

The STR's pros are definitely greater for those who are new to e-readers, read casually (not referencing and annotating academic publications or technical manuals), and want access to a bookstore without messing around on their PCs (we forum-flies might be surprised by the strength of that demographic). I personally find the social features a bit silly, but they have some appeal with the bookclub crowd, for whom reading is very social.

Just in terms of bang-for-your-buck, the STR is the first e-ink reader I'd even consider, and still hasn't reached a point that I'd pull the trigger. If nookdevs & co. wring a little more functionality out of it and/or the pricepoint gets closer to $100, I might change my mind, but otherwise I'll be sticking with tablets.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Nook is NOT 'Simple' compared to the Sony, it just has different features.

Yes, the Sony's do have a half-assed Landscape mode (that Sony never bothered to make work correctly) and marginally better PDF handling.

But the Nook has the ability to override EPUB document settings, with user selectable Fonts and Line Spacing, which gives it much better EPUB handling.

Let's see, I have about 1500 EPUBs on my Sony, and about a dozen PDFs, so which should I consider more useful?

The Sony PRS-650 has a MP3 player that most folks rarely, if ever, use. (because it will suck down your battery in hours instead of weeks)

The Nook Touch has WiFi access which allows direct purchase of books -PLUS- a better store to purchase them from -PLUS- access to GMail, Facebook, and Twitter. (yes I know that Barnes and Nobel isn't available outside the U.S. without jumping through some hoops, but neither is the Sony Store).

And organizing by 'tags' or 'collections' is NOT the same as organizing by folders, because folders are hierarchal (folders can go inside other folders, but collections can't go inside other collections).

The Nooks now do BOTH 'collections' (shelves) -AND- folder navigation.

And YES there is some value to having both of these, which is why this feature was added to PRS+
(but you shouldn't have to risk hacking your reader to have this feature, and with the Nook you don't)

So, given a fair comparison, the Nook certainly isn't more 'Simple' than the Sony, in some respects it's actually more sophisticated, and in others it's just different.

And as far as availability of the Sony PRS-650 goes . . .

Not everybody wants a putrid-pink PRS-650

And the PRS-650B, in black, remains chronically in short supply and much harder to find.
B&N is not even selling their stuff to Europeans when we do the hop a hoop thing. No way to get their ebooks here. Sony is just fine with an US address and an European CC. B&N checks the CC and if it is European they won't sell you the dirt under their fingernails.

The social stuff is not a feature in my book. Wifi only counts if the shop is actually willing to sell you something via wifi as does Amazon with their Kindle. You can buy with them whereever you are. With the nook that is impossible. Stay in the US if you want a book for your nook, please, we at B&N can't be bothered with your holiday destinations.

It is no argument to say I want a different color and as long as I can't get it, there is no supply for me to mention... Are you kidding me? Ok. I go for a pink nook. They don't sell it in pink? Oh, there ain't no nooks!!! There ain't no nooks!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #54
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
B&N is not even selling their stuff to Europeans when we do the hop a hoop thing. No way to get their ebooks here. Sony is just fine with an US address and an European CC. B&N checks the CC and if it is European they won't sell you the dirt under their fingernails.

The social stuff is not a feature in my book. Wifi only counts if the shop is actually willing to sell you something via wifi as does Amazon with their Kindle. You can buy with them whereever you are. With the nook that is impossible. Stay in the US if you want a book for your nook, please, we at B&N can't be bothered with your holiday destinations.

It is no argument to say I want a different color and as long as I can't get it, there is no supply for me to mention... Are you kidding me? Ok. I go for a pink nook. They don't sell it in pink? Oh, there ain't no nooks!!! There ain't no nooks!!!

Don't you think it has more to do with getting the international trade agreements and geographical restrictions in place more than Barnes and Noble wanting to thumb their noses to the international crowd

I'm sure Barnes and noble would love to be selling their products across the world .
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #55
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How about replying to the point that was made? There's a big difference between not being available in one's color of choice and only being available in one, atrocious color. No one is going to spend $200+ for something they don't even want to look at.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #56
taosaur
intelligent posterior

For a point in the Sony readers' favor, there's been some discussion of the dictionary logs over in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=135658&page=3

Now that's a pretty cool feature! The Sony dictionaries seem to be very well integrated in general. Apparently, they keep a log with each book you've read of what words you looked up while reading it--do I have that right?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #57
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
For a point in the Sony readers' favor, there's been some discussion of the dictionary logs over in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=135658&page=3

Now that's a pretty cool feature! The Sony dictionaries seem to be very well integrated in general. Apparently, they keep a log with each book you've read of what words you looked up while reading it--do I have that right?
Jepp!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #58
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Seriously? You would rather pay a $100-ish premium for a few hundred MB than spend $15 on more book storage than you will likely use in your lifetime? What is it that distinguishes the flash storage inside the device from what you put in the slot, other than the flexibility to transfer the latter to another device?
No. There are other features that I use a lot on the Sony which the Nook doesn't have. Such as annotating PDF files. And as I said before, I'm willing to pay more for design. And I really don't like the design of the Nook....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #59
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
No. There are other features that I use a lot on the Sony which the Nook doesn't have. Such as annotating PDF files. And as I said before, I'm willing to pay more for design. And I really don't like the design of the Nook....
That's all well and good, and based on your stated preference for PDFs (unfathomable, but whatevs) the PRS series is almost certainly a better fit for you. Just don't toss around red herrings about storage.

While I haven't used either reader, it seems like the Sony set is better for PDF handling, supporting more file types, and annotation. That last may come down to preference, given that we haven't heard much about the new Nook's annotation, but reviews of the keyboard have been very positive, so it depends on your preferred input method and whether you want your notes as RTFs.

The Nook has price, speed, limited wireless capability, an on-device store, syncing with mobile devices, and social features. Someone mentioned gmail, facebook and twitter, but I'm pretty sure the STR does not have them, beyond the sharing features. It does have generally more powerful and flexible hardware, which may mean more capability down the road.

As for form, comfort, and build quality, opinions differ.

All of the above are legitimate reasons to prefer one device over the other, but it comes down to priorities and lifestyle, which vary wildly.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #60
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Are all Sony users so defensive? No one is denying that your reader may have a better feature set for your needs, or telling you to cast your reader into the mouth of an active volcano and go buy a Nook
Of course not all Sony owners are so defensive. I have a Sony, I like it. I have Nook Classic, I like it & I have Kindle...I like less but it is still a ood reader for many people. I just prefer touch. I like the new Nook Touch & to be honest, If B&N had come out with this before I first saw a Sony, I probably would have bought the Nook Touch. But now that I have a Sony350, I'm not interested in buying the Nook Touch.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote