Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony or Nook Touch
Sony 73 60.83%
Nook Touch 47 39.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Sony or Nook Touch

Let's do a poll...

If you are looking for a touchscreen eink reader (don't have one at this moment) which one would you buy, have you decided yet and why?

To simplify I will put Sony but really applies to any of the new models which are Touchscreen...

PS: missed new Kobo, apologies ... but feel free to make a comment. Also, not sure if I'm missing another eink reader which is touchscreen also, go ahead and vote for your favorite if not here ...

Last edited by jocampo; 06-06-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Missed Kobo touchscreen
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
If I didn't own a Sony myself, my decision would be based on my going to a B&N, trying out the Touch myself, and then going to any store that still had the Sony and trying that as well.

If you want access to a wide proprietary market as well as the vast open library of ePub, and you value the continued development of the product you buy, then the Nook Touch seems the better choice. If your priority is durability and aesthetics, then I lean rather heavily toward Sony. If you have a specific size in mind, then that would take precedence as well. That's why I own a 6" Kindle and 5" and 7" Sony Readers, respectively.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I chose Sony because the nook treats eBooks not purchased via B&N as second class eBooks. 250MB dedicated to non B&N bought eBooks? No way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
For Sony:
1) does everything the Nook can do, and a lot more.
1) It's better built.

For Nook
1) Price.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would chose the nook. I like a lot of the features it has.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I do have a Sony & I've tried the Nook Touch several times now (& would get one if I really wanted it). My choice is definitely the Sony.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
For me the only appeal the Nook Touch has is the price. Besides that the Sony is better suited for my needs.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I would go with the nook touch

better UI
faster responsivness
better ebookstore platform (sony vs barnes and noble
better price
wireless downloading (with the exception of the 950)
better feel to it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Nook for me. I want a simple, no-frills reader at an affordable price, with good battery life. The nook fits the bill nicely.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Voted for Sony, from reports here, the nook simple touch still seems a little too simple.

But I am waiting for real person reviews of the kobo and hoping for good reports.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I am torn, I have two Sonys (a 505 and 700 Touch) and a Nook Classic 3g/WiFi. I love all three pretty much equally.
Nook - better price, side loading on micro sd card not a problem. Bookshelves okay but tedious to organize, the battery I can replace easily, the charge life not so good.

Sony (in general - in my personal experience) Sonys more expensive better made, side loading onto sd card even easier, collections(bookshelves) easy and convenient. I
load both Sonys through calibre, much more convenient although Reader software works well, I just prefer Calibre. I cannot replace the battery myself, however the charges last longer.

I just can't pick one over the other. I guess it depends on your priorities.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
For me the only appeal the Nook Touch has is the price. Besides that the Sony is better suited for my needs.
I agree except that I wish Sony would modify the firmware so that I could directly buy ebooks from B&N without having to strip the DRM. Actually, I would prefer B&N do away with its DRM and just use the same basic Adobe DRM that Sony, Kobo, and others are using.

After looking at the various videos and posts on the Nook Touch, the Nook seems like a stripped down, limited-capability version of the Sony. Especially the dictionary "feature" on the Touch.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Sony. That Nook Touch looks ugly with that huge bezel on the sides and top.

And I finally found a comparison between the Sony and the Nook (most compare it to the Kindle...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-new-york/nook-touch-vs-sony-prs-650-review
Nook Touch vs Sony PRS 650: Where the Nook Touch Wins
  • Better battery life. The Sony PRS 650’s 2-week battery life looks paltry next to the Nook Touch’s: on a single charge, you get two months of use with wireless off (or 3 weeks with wireless on). (I never believe this until proven by non-reviewers)
  • Built-in WiFi plus free WiFi access in B&N stores and AT&T hotspots. The Sony Touch has no wireless access of any sort; eBooks can only be loaded to your device using USB connection. (don't care about wireless on my reader at all)
  • Less flashing. With its performance-optimized display, you get 80% less flashing or black-and-white ghosting between page turns on the Nook Touch.
  • Quick book scan. Just hold down the page turn bar to scan a book or a magazine. (don't know what to think about this, to be honest)
  • Jump to a specific page in a book. You also press the page turn bar to do this. (I wonder how I always jump to a specific page in my book if the Sony doesn't support this...)
  • B&N store. It offers better range of books and prices for non-agency books than the Sony Reader Store. (neither are available to me, besides, I'd buy books anywhere and strip the DRM...)
  • Book lending. You can lend certain books for free to family and friends for up to 14 days. (you'd need family and friends that also have the same taste in books (which I don't have) and also a Nook (again, which I don't have))
  • Social features. These add extra fun to reading. The Nook Touch lets you tweet your readings, post your favorite books, share reading recommendations, and see what your friends are reading. (oh fun, something that I don't even use on my pc... I find those "social features" way too hyped)
  • Price. The Nook Touch costs $139 only, while the Sony Touch is priced $229.
So, that's two points in the Nook's favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-new-york/nook-touch-vs-sony-prs-650-review
Nook Touch vs Sony PRS 650: Where the Sony Reader Edition Wins
  • eWriting features. The Sony PRS 650 allows you to write down notes on the margins of a book, underline important passages, take down notes, draw, and scribble using the included stylus. The Nook Touch has no eWriting features.
  • Supports multiple eBook formats. The Reader Touch Edition can display Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, EPUB, BBeB, TXT, and RTF files. The Nook Touch supports ePub and PDF files only. (I only use PDF so, to extra formats aren't important for me)
  • Audio playback. It can play MP3 and AAC audio files. The Nook Touch has no audio support whatsoever. (I have a MP3 player for my audio files)
  • 2 built-in English dictionaries and 10 translation dictionaries. The Nook Touch has Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary to use for reference.
So, that's 2 points in favour of the Sony.

But, beside the fact that I find the Nook Touch ugly (-1 point for the Nook), I really love the highlighting feature of the Sony. It's the main reason I wanted the Sony next to my Mini. Why have a touch screen if you can only use it to select books and go to the next page?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sony!!!

There is a reason why the Nook is cheaper: It has only half of Sonys features.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Sony!!!

There is a reason why the Nook is cheaper: It has only half of Sonys features.
and that is the crux of the matter do you want to pay extra for features you won't ever use? No? then the nook touch is a better overall choice. If you need those extra features then the Sony is your choice. Though they do have to do something about their pricing. It's the worst,unless you find a clearance sale.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote