Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
What comes with the Reader initially?

I found the Sony site a little vague in this regards.

Does the Reader come with any sort of cover? Does it come with a charger, or just a usb cord? Can one charge on usb without having device drivers on it? (I'd do that at work.)

I'm approved on the sony card, and now I'm just (desperately) waiting the card to arrive so I can apply for my reader. I just want to decide if I need to order any accessories with the initial package.

In other news, I found out that my wife's blackberry can use mobipocket, and immediately installed it. The battery drains too fast for me, though.
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
It comes with an AC adaptor/charger, usb cable and a cover. It also has the Connect software of course.

You can charge (slowly) on USB without additional drivers. Of course, if you are on less than WinXP you will need drivers for USB support. I believe those come on the CD also.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
As edbro said, you can charge via the USB connection, but you do have to have the ConnSoft installed on the computer (I believe that libPRS500 will also allow it to charge). ConnSoft can be problematic to install unless you have WinXP or later, but libPRS500 can help with that too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The Reader will also charge on a Mac USB without drivers (since the Sony Connect Software works only with Windows XP and Vista.) I have libprs500 installed on one machine (WinXP) and it does not charge the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Huh. I thought it did. Well, I'm batting a thousand today, ain't I?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
The Reader can be charged through either the USB port (if you observe the niceties noted above) or through a separate, dedicated charger jack.

That said, the battery life is measured in weeks (unless you're making heavy use of the MP3 player) so you'll probably find you don't need a charger at work.

Welcome aboard!
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Huh. I thought it did. Well, I'm batting a thousand today, ain't I?
libprs500 is sufficient for charging under Linux. I don't understand why it wouldn't be the same under Windows.

Another thing I've noticed is that, when connected to a USB port *without* the software running, the reader loses battery power rapidly.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The Reader will also charge on a Mac USB without drivers (since the Sony Connect Software works only with Windows XP and Vista.) I have libprs500 installed on one machine (WinXP) and it does not charge the Reader.
Even with the GUI running?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Do you have the optional libprs500 USB driver installed? The Reader won't charge without that (if you don't have Connect installed, that is).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
bluelight
bluelight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
that's weird. Libprs500 recharge my reader nicely, and i'm on window xp O.o
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
I just want to decide if I need to order any accessories with the initial package.
It comes with a nice plastic cover with leather trim- not cheap looking at all. However the brown leather cover is very well made and would make an excellent addition. The brown one is made of a thick leather with a velvet texture (the other two colors are smooth textured), the inside lined with soft felt. It gives the reader the feel and look of an expensive leather journal and that wonderful leather book aroma- well worth 29.00 IMHO. However you can pick it up at any regular Borders Books (not Borders express though) Make sure you place the reader face down on a rigid flat surface when removing and replacing the cover to avoid breaking the screen!

In addition to the included charger, cover, and connect software cd, the reader comes preloaded with a dozen or so book excerpts (full chapters) and five entire books- Vanguard by David Mack (Star Trek), The Italian's Stolen Bride by Emma Darcy (Harlequin romance), 1984 by George Orwell, Emma by Jane Austen, and Excavation by James Rollins.

Amusingly, one of the excerpts included was Pride and Prejudice. Why couldn't Sony just include the whole book?- Are they really worried about giving away too many classics that you could get for free right here anyway? Needless to say I replaced it straightaway with the full free illustrated version- Thank you HarryT !
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
You can spend a few bucks on a PSP USB 2in1 cable and plug it in the charging port instead of the mini USB port. Works great and faster. No driver needed and even works with a dummy USB port without a computer.

Available on Ebay or other sources such as:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4383
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
You can spend a few bucks on a PSP USB 2in1 cable and plug it in the charging port instead of the mini USB port. Works great and faster. No driver needed and even works with a dummy USB port without a computer.

Available on Ebay or other sources such as:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4383
Why not get the AC adapter for the PSP at only about $2 more? It's faster to charge the Reader via the AC adapter then the USB and the USB will not charge if the battery is totally drained.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.612
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not get the AC adapter for the PSP at only about $2 more? It's faster to charge the Reader via the AC adapter then the USB and the USB will not charge if the battery is totally drained.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.612
Well, the USB 2in1 cable is more handy and also works even the battery is totally drained if you use the round plug not the mini-usb plug. I have one for my work computer.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
Well, the USB 2in1 cable is more handy and also works even the battery is totally drained if you use the round plug not the mini-usb plug. I have one for my work computer.
How is it more handy when it takes longer to charge?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote