Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony or Nook Touch
Sony 73 60.83%
Nook Touch 47 39.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
and that is the crux of the matter do you want to pay extra for features you won't ever use? No? then the nook touch is a better overall choice. If you need those extra features then the Sony is your choice. Though they do have to do something about their pricing. It's the worst,unless you find a clearance sale.
First of all: I do use them. There are some I wouldn't have thought I'd use like the MP3player, but I do use it to read along to unabridged audio books.

Second: I don't find the prices of the Sony outrageous as all ebook readers have similar prices over here because they are not artificially downpriced by competing bookstores to sell their content. Any 6" Pocketbook or Cybook is about the price of a Sony without the Pearl screen or IR touch.

Third: I could buy a Nook touch for about 100€ less as a Sony even with shipping and VAT on top of the price as the dollar is so low, but I'd never do it. It does not offer the features the Sony offers, it does have ghosting as was stated by several people and it does not look half as sturdy as a Sony. I once owned a reader in a rubber casing (the Italica) and I do prefer the aluminium to it.

I do use it every day for several hours. I want to have the best money can buy. I save on other things. I don't have hundreds of TV programs that I have to pay for, as I don't watch TV but rather read. I sold pbooks I won't ever read again in order to buy a new reader. It is a question of priorities and mine are not to save on the one item that gives me the greatest pleasure in my life. If it were the same reader I could save some if I were to buy it in another store for example, I'd do so, but to go with an inferior item and berave myself of pleasure and conveniance. Never.

Last edited by Poppaea; 06-07-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: to fix a link + to add the last paragraph
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
That review had "quick book scan" as a plus for the Nook, but Sony can do that too. Just hold down the page forward button and the pages will start turning forward quickly. I believe there is a way to do it with a gesture too but I can't remember how.

Anyway, I love my 650 and I don't regret it, but I think there is probably not much reason to pay a premium for it now. The 350 and 950 are in a different class, since there are no (????) other readers in those sizes.

I'm sure someone will chime in if there are, in fact, other readers in those sizes.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Let's do a poll...

If you are looking for a touchscreen eink reader (don't have one at this moment) which one would you buy, have you decided yet and why?

To simplify I will put Sony but really applies to any of the new models which are Touchscreen...

PS: missed new Kobo, apologies ... but feel free to make a comment. Also, not sure if I'm missing another eink reader which is touchscreen also, go ahead and vote for your favorite if not here ...
I have the Prs350 and the new Nook. I like the new nook alot, its the first e-ink reader that got the size right, it feels like a book, the screen is as good as the sony, and the refresh only happens a 1/6th as much. It's a bigger screen, more real estate with better fonts. I like the Store better than Sony's store, easier to find the books you are looking for, nice menu layout. The Nook Touch is the one I'll be keeping.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
That review had "quick book scan" as a plus for the Nook, but Sony can do that too. Just hold down the page forward button and the pages will start turning forward quickly. I believe there is a way to do it with a gesture too but I can't remember how.
Yes with swipe. Just hold down your finger when you swipe. While I love my 350 I admit I am tempted by the nook. I did get to look at one for about 5 minutes and if I hadn't already had a sony I would have bought one.

Last edited by alism; 06-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
and that is the crux of the matter do you want to pay extra for features you won't ever use? No? then the nook touch is a better overall choice. If you need those extra features then the Sony is your choice. Though they do have to do something about their pricing. It's the worst,unless you find a clearance sale.
In the end, you should always put the positives and negatives next to each other and then decide which ones has the most positives and least negatives. And if it's equal, think about what positive points you find more important or negative points more annoying. In the case of the Nook vs Sony, I find the ability to highlight and note taking so much more important than the lower price of the Nook, my choice would go for the Sony (if I was in the market to buy a device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, I figured that, so I wasn't sure what they meant by that quick book scan. Could be they just didn't notice it, just like the ability to go to a given page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I have the Prs350 and the new Nook. I like the new nook alot, its the first e-ink reader that got the size right, it feels like a book, the screen is as good as the sony, and the refresh only happens a 1/6th as much. It's a bigger screen, more real estate with better fonts. I like the Store better than Sony's store, easier to find the books you are looking for, nice menu layout. The Nook Touch is the one I'll be keeping.
Comparing the Nook to the 350 in screensize is stupid, naturally, the Nook has more real estate. It's a 6" vs the 5" of the 350....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
In the end, you should always put the positives and negatives next to each other and then decide which ones has the most positives and least negatives. And if it's equal, think about what positive points you find more important or negative points more annoying. In the case of the Nook vs Sony, I find the ability to highlight and note taking so much more important than the lower price of the Nook, my choice would go for the Sony (if I was in the market to buy a device).

Yes, I figured that, so I wasn't sure what they meant by that quick book scan. Could be they just didn't notice it, just like the ability to go to a given page...

Comparing the Nook to the 350 in screensize is stupid, naturally, the Nook has more real estate. It's a 6" vs the 5" of the 350....
hi Sweetpea, you do have the ability to highlight and take notes on the Nook touch as well. For me the lower price, faster processor, better bookstore platform, better accessories, better apps for other mobile devices and all for more screen real estate then Sony's closest price competitor make the nook an overwhelming choice.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I've had nooks & kindles, and I sold them all as I love the highlighting, notation features of the reader software, and I can save my notes & highlights to an rtf document file for future reference and/or printing. If you don't need this feature, it won't be an issue for you.

I also like the fact that there is no wifi big brother monitoring my every book on my Sony. I had some side loaded books on my nook that could not be opened because I removed the (B&N) DRM. Same books opened just fine on my Sony.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hi Sweetpea, you do have the ability to highlight and take notes on the Nook touch as well. For me the lower price, faster processor, better bookstore platform, better accessories, better apps for other mobile devices and all for more screen real estate then Sony's closest price competitor make the nook an overwhelming choice.
So for you it is all about the dress and not the Barbie.

Well, I like to have a fine Barbie before I try to doll her up!

We can shop any bookstore we like to, and the Sony bookstore has everything every other bookstore has, too. It might not have ones favourite layout, but it is no different than the other stores. If it were for the bookstore alone I'd go Amazon and never B&N.

Also you can't compare the Nook touch to the 350. Either you compare 6" devices or you don't compare at all. The closest price competitor to the Nook are Kindle and Kobo. Period.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
So for you it is all about the dress and not the Barbie.

Well, I like to have a fine Barbie before I try to doll her up!

We can shop any bookstore we like to, and the Sony bookstore has everything every other bookstore has, too. It might not have ones favourite layout, but it is no different than the other stores. If it were for the bookstore alone I'd go Amazon and never B&N.

Also you can't compare the Nook touch to the 350. Either you compare 6" devices or you don't compare at all. The closest price competitor to the Nook are Kindle and Kobo. Period.
out of the sony's it's the closest price wise and also physical size. the new touch isn't all that much bigger than the 350. And these are the two company's we are comparing.

and it all depends on the barbie, I can't believe I'm using this analogy LOL but the nooks UI, and processor and it's speed is quite fast. It may not have the PDF extra features nor the abililty to export highlights and notes but to alot of people those are features that would be almost useless. I know they would be on me. To me and I'm sure others' the ability to download books wireless is a much more usefull feature than PDF extras. And to have a better bookstore platform .
Old 06-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

It is 6" vs. 5". The competitor for the Nook is the 650.

The Nook:
Weight: 7.48 ounces
Height: 6.5 inches
Width: 5.0 inches
Depth: 0.47 inches

The Sony PRS-650:

Weight: 7.58 oz
Height: 6.61 inches
Width: 4.68 inches
Depth: 0.38 inches

The Sony PRS- 350:

Weight: 5.47 oz
Heigth: 5.71 inches
Width: 4.11 inches
Depth: 0.33 inches
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
pendragyn
Tech Addict
pendragyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook v1, Sony PRS-350, FoxIt eSlick
I voted Sony. I have no use for nook wi-fi, I love how compact and light the PRS 350 is (especially compared to the old nook) and I plan to buy my books from whoever has them noticeably cheaper. Also, got mine from borders for $110 (USD) with no waiting. I am not a patient person.

I am not happy with B&N's proprietary drm, nor their interfaces: Books I load being segregated from books downloaded directly. The lack of updating a wishlist if they decide to change the price. Have to manually go in and delete the old version and then search up the new version, if its there at all. I also really dislike the look of the new nook.

I considered the kobo but the videos I saw made it look like it needs a few firmware fixes to be fully functional. Also, everyone in the Borders stores was completely clueless about when it would ship. (Some said "by father's day", others said end of July.)
pendragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #27
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
My vote goes for Sony or Kobo. I'll keep away from any ecosystem / provider that locks you in such as BN and Amazon.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Can someone answer whether or not you can take notes on the nook touch? I read an article online as well as some posts here which say that you can't. Yet, I've read some posts here which say that you can. Note taking is a really important feature for me. That alone would make me favor Sony.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Can someone answer whether or not you can take notes on the nook touch? I read an article online as well as some posts here which say that you can't. Yet, I've read some posts here which say that you can. Note taking is a really important feature for me.
yes you can take notes and highlight as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
yes you can take notes and highlight as well.
Thanks!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote