Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
boostermoose
boostermoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Lottie Animations can work in reflowable epubs

I thought this was pretty cool and wanted to share.

https://lottiefiles.com/blog/working...ns-ebooks-epub

I tested it myself and it does work on Apple Books and Kobo on my iphone.
boostermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostermoose View Post
I tested it myself and it does work on Apple Books and Kobo on my iphone.
And also, in Calibre viewer
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But likely on few to none actual eink ereaders.

I'll may test out of curiosity. I'll stick to text and character anchored static images in epub2 and do any animation for commercial release as an App. Most iOS and Android users don't have an ereader app installed anyway.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Looks like it requires JS. That'll make it tough to use widely.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you need Javascript, you really should do a real app, not a kludged ebook that only works in a handful of ereader apps.
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But likely on few to none actual eink ereaders.

I'll may test out of curiosity. I'll stick to text and character anchored static images in epub2 and do any animation for commercial release as an App. Most iOS and Android users don't have an ereader app installed anyway.
How can you say this? iOS comes with an eBook reader. Many eBook Readers use Android as their base. Do you have anything to support this?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

My iPhone has no eBook reader. Though it's maybe because it's a 4S.
I have iTunes on an old Win7 to put MP3s on it as there is no 3rd party music player installed.
Also worldwide iOS is maybe < 13%, though maybe about half of USA users. Possibly bulked by School iPads? I don't know.

You'd have to install a random Playstore ereader on Android to read ANY ebook. The Kindle App would be the most common.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My iPhone has no eBook reader. Though it's maybe because it's a 4S.
It was announced, under the name iBooks, in conjunction with the iPad on January 27, 2010, and was released for the iPhone and iPod Touch in mid-2010, as part of the iOS 4 update.

Now it's called "books"...which is really dumb...just ask Hitch.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The iPhone4s was announced on October 4, 2011, at Apple's Cupertino campus, and was the final Apple product announced in the lifetime of former Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs, who died the following day.

But the one previous owner only installed one game and though I was able to update the iOS and connect to the Store the only interaction is phone calls, SMS and copying music via an old iTunes on an old Win 7 PC.

I've an older Android phone that you can still install apps from Playstore on. Also directly install apk. Apple deliberately obsoletes pristine kit to sell new. See case in Italy right now on deliberate slowing of CPU on older iPhones.

So no way to load epubs or any other kind of books. Now if the prior owner had only installed VLC for media and various other useful apps, inc audio books and ebooks, all that would still work.

I did lose Viber and Kindle apps on my oldest Android phone as it had to be reset and those only work on newer Android now. Same with Lithium, but Aldiko epub reader still installed.

So it's just a spare mp3 player now. Even a €20 phone works better as an actual phone so I don't have a SIM in it now.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dang - I would have hoped that a phone that was released over 1 year after the iOS version would have had the latest iOS installed (4 or later)... that is very strange.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's even updated to the last version of iOS ever released for the 4S. That was the first thing I did. There is no books or iBooks on it. It does actually have Facebook, Facetime and WhatsApp installed, but I have no idea if those still work. I've no accounts for those.
The battery now seems to die overnight. So it's now useless except on a dock.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I saw this online - although if your battery is dead, then it doesn't really matter to you. It may help someone else in this situation:

Quote:
Restore a built-in app that you deleted
  1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, go to the App Store.
  2. Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
  3. Tap to restore the app.
  4. Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Doesn't work if the current version is incompatible or a new owner. You can't install older versions from the App Store. But there are outside of PlayStore archives on the web of older versions of Android Apps for older prehistoric Androids.
Once Apple has told an App developer that they must only support > version whatever, the app maker does it or the app is pulled. It might otherwise be identical. But now though you can see it in the App store, it won't install. You can still buy music tracks

I don't need the iPhone to be portable without a cord. Though it's possible on some to replace the cell.

If I was worried about ebook compatibility I'd have an iPhone or iPad not too new but still a supported iOS and install anything that MIGHT later be needed, for the day when support is dropped. Maybe an iPhone 8, if the battery is DIY replaceable. The official Apple shop here quotes €90 to replace an iPhone 8 battery. My last phone is excellent, 6", no stupid notches or holes, earphone jack, FM Radio, SD card slot and unlocked for free after 1 year. WiFi and BT and Casting as well as being a phone. €99 Though my older Android 4.3" phone works better on an HDTV as it has as real micro HDMI socket. An adaptor to regular HDMI was €4. It also has a pop-out battery. Not so many Android Apps install on it now.
I use it to test epub ebooks in Aldiko to see that they are OK on a 4.3" screeen. It also has a decent FM radio, 3.5mm jack, SD card, WiFi, BT and is smaller and older than the iPhone 4S with better Mobile reception. The one of the last with Sony-Ericsson branding.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-30-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Now it's called "books"...which is really dumb...just ask Hitch.
Let's see if I can describe how I feel about that:

:

Yup, that about says it all. Dumbest renaming, ever. The sheer hubris and arrogance of it, and the sheer stupidity of what then happens in searching...just un--ing believable.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

They had to pay the Beatles twice for using Apple as a name. Apple Corp with an apple core logo was older.
They had to pay Cisco for taking the iPhone name – afterwards. Pre-existing Cisco IP phone.
They had to pay Fujitsu for taking the iPad name – afterwards.

An Apple TV has no screen and no tuner.

They had to compensate Swiss Rail and stop using their clock face.

They got fake patents (actual patents and design patents, called Registered Design in the UK), because the USPTO doesn't do due diligence or consider prior art or patents that are not USPTO. Edison terrorised film makers for years till the US Gov revoked his cinema patents that shouldn't have been awarded. He didn't invent the lightbulb either, though his team did invent a better way to make carbon filaments. So Samsung lost in court despite loads of stuff had rounded corners, Fingerworks GUI bought in, nothing new about tiled array of icons and 1st phone used Samsung CPU. Absolutely nothing novel about the first few iphones. Capacitive touch was from 1980s and not used on phones because the aim was high resolution input, like for writing. Capacitive is low resolution. The iPhone was over eight years after the first Smart Phone. Succeeded due to carrier all you can eat data deals and subsidy. Not innovation, though easier to use than S60, but no 3G or copy/Paste at the time, on all the competing smart phones.

It's hardly innovation to cripple the ability to change a SIM, a battery, delete the audio socket or deface the display with notch to shorten the case slightly. Or have no SD card slot.

It's a marketing company with a giant team of patent lawyers that offshores the largest profit margin in the industry, a low percentage spent on R&D and values form over function. Jonny Ives pinched most of the simplistic styling from Braun products styled by Dieter Rams. He was a designer in Apple in the sense of a Graphic designer that designs a logo for stationary. He's left.

Likely Apple is planning to claim that any use of the term books is a violation of their intellectual property. And the Mac OS before X was ideas copied from the 1976 Xerox Star. Steve Jobs was kicked out by the Pepsi guy that ran Apple for a while and had then NeXt computer. It's OS was based on BSD, a fork of UNIX. When he came back to Apple, MS rescued the dying company that staggered with the iMac till the iTunes saved them. Then Mac OS9 replaced by the OS X from NeXt in 2002 and they stopped incrementing the major version number because X for 10 is cool.

Arrogance doesn't even begin to describe Apple. Badly designed aerials due to Jonny Ive's insistence on a bad package design led to "You're holding it wrong".

Then there are mysterious deals to have Mac or Ipads as exclusive or even mandatory products in schools. Even here in some Irish Schools.