Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #31
romi
CyBook Gen3 fan
romi began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Unhappy Bookeen support nonexistent

Just to chime in with my experience with support.

When I bought my device half a year ago I immediately noticed a dead / stuck pixel at the bottom, which sometimes disturbs me when I read. After several days I resorted to contacting the support. I wrote multiple emails to contact@ then support@, alll *very* polite but received no answer. After I resent the text of the message with slight modifications and introductory text stating I'm still waiting for a reply I received ...

... no reply.

And I gave up. I still like the device, like its openness compared to Kindle and co., its simple design; but this rudeness in dealing with a fresh (still excited from the new and very costly purchase) customer. In the meantime my device is not brand new and I don't think I'll ever get a replacement or anything for this slight defect.

I should also say that this awful experience has a negative impact in my attitude towards a small rather than big, European rather than American company. One reason I bought Cybook was that it was a small company and finally European. But wrong. Next time it'll have to be American or Japanese when it comes to electronics.
romi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #32
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by romi View Post
Just to chime in with my experience with support.

When I bought my device half a year ago I immediately noticed a dead / stuck pixel at the bottom, which sometimes disturbs me when I read. After several days I resorted to contacting the support. I wrote multiple emails to contact@ then support@, alll *very* polite but received no answer. After I resent the text of the message with slight modifications and introductory text stating I'm still waiting for a reply I received ...

... no reply.

And I gave up. I still like the device, like its openness compared to Kindle and co., its simple design; but this rudeness in dealing with a fresh (still excited from the new and very costly purchase) customer. In the meantime my device is not brand new and I don't think I'll ever get a replacement or anything for this slight defect.

I should also say that this awful experience has a negative impact in my attitude towards a small rather than big, European rather than American company. One reason I bought Cybook was that it was a small company and finally European. But wrong. Next time it'll have to be American or Japanese when it comes to electronics.
That is sad. tbh I bought my gen3 18months ago directly from bookeen and have been fortunate in that I have had no problems with it.

Other than the debacle with the firmware I have been happy with the device overall, and on that basis both my Sister and her husband bought one from W H Smiths.
My sisters worked ok, but his would crash frequently, at least a couple of times in an hour. W H Smiths gave him a replacement without any problems.

TBH, I'm not sure if I would buy another device from Bookeen, I suppose much would depend on how good the next firmware is. But even if I did, it would not be directly from Bookeen, but a reseller that has a good reputation for after sales service.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
TBH, I'm not sure if I would buy another device from Bookeen, I suppose much would depend on how good the next firmware is. But even if I did, it would not be directly from Bookeen, but a reseller that has a good reputation for after sales service.
The soul of reason

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #34
ALYSSACHANCE
ALYSSACHANCE began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
What exactly does "in brief delays" mean? is that a week? a month? a year? I love this reader with the very annoying exception of the freezing problem. I am afraid in brief delay means "longer than your return policy"
ALYSSACHANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #35
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALYSSACHANCE View Post
What exactly does "in brief delays" mean? is that a week? a month? a year? I love this reader with the very annoying exception of the freezing problem. I am afraid in brief delay means "longer than your return policy"
You've sent you reader to bookeen ? What for ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #36
ALYSSACHANCE

No I did not send it to them. I have been asking when the firmware download will be available to correct the problem I have with the unit freezing
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
... how do you know the 'freezing' problem is firmware related ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
ALYSSACHANCE

when I emailed them to ask about the freezing problem I got this in reply...
Madam,

Please note that our team is already working on the issue you are referring
to. A solution will be brought with the coming firmware upgrade. This one
will be freely available on bookeen.com in brief delays.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Hopefully so Who knows.

As to the freezes, my opus have serously calmed down after I got rid of the sd card, and when using it on "always on" mode.
Thus, i go back on the menu every now and then, to check the battery. That force the cybook to store the current position again. That lead me to think that one of the bugs is about marking the current position on the fly.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #40
ALYSSACHANCE

So ditch the SD card and don't allow it to auto shut down?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #41
ALYSSACHANCE

leave it on all the time? with out an SD card?

Last edited by ALYSSACHANCE; 11-18-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adding to my questions
Old 11-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
certainly try it without the SD card ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #43
ALYSSACHANCE

OK thanks for the tip! My friend has an EZ-Reader and they said that was a problem with that device as well and the SD card seem to be a problem. I will try that and then maybe I wont need "with brief delay"
Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #44
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALYSSACHANCE View Post
Madam,

Please note that our team is already working on the issue you are referring
to. A solution will be brought with the coming firmware upgrade. This one
will be freely available on bookeen.com in brief delays.
Ah, so now we only need to know how many brief delays there will be, and to how big delay they'll sum up.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #45
ALYSSACHANCE

I got this email this morning....

Madam,

Other customers have faced the issue you are referring to. It has been identified by our technical team and the solution will come with the coming firmware upgrade. This one should solve a lot of issues encountered with the Cybook. Our technicians are still working on this firmware. We apologise for the inconvenience.

For your information, there is another way to reset the device without pressing the reset button. Please refer to the attached document.

If you prefer to return the device we will provide you with a RMA number and a return procedure. Our technical team will then check up your Opus and we will send it back to you.

Best regards,
Bookeen Support Team

Tags
bookeen, cybook opus, support