Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I agree with leebase. Don't you put it in a case anyway or does that make it too thick?
Adding a case also adds to the weight, while making it thicker, only need add material (and strength) to the edges (and maybe a few support 'pillars' mid span) with little weight gain. "Thin", "Sleek" are marketing tools. OTOH, I don't want a 'Ruggedized", Military model to carry with me
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have Kindle Voyages, which I'm told are bezel-less. What is a bezel?
The Voyage certainly has a bezel. Perhaps you’re getting a bezel mixed up with a flush screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Adding a case also adds to the weight, while making it thicker, only need add material (and strength) to the edges (and maybe a few support 'pillars' mid span) with little weight gain. "Thin", "Sleek" are marketing tools. OTOH, I don't want a 'Ruggedized", Military model to carry with me
I agree, some are too big. I had a metal case that just kept my kindle from being damaged but it was more like a sleeve, the kindle was great without a case then.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd rather have a device that was too thin, with tons of options to make it as thick as I liked than the reverse.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd rather have a device that was too thin, with tons of options to make it as thick as I liked than the reverse.
My issue is when ultra-light weight is considered the be-all and end-all of design and compromises such aspects as battery life.
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't sweat battery life at all. Anything longer than 3-5 days is wasted expense/weight in my opinion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'd rather have devices that didn't change size from year to year so I could reuse the same cover when I upgraded to a newer model. Covers don't come cheap, so I always add the price of a cover to the device's price and then make a decision as to whether it's worth it to upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd rather have devices that didn't change size from year to year so I could reuse the same cover when I upgraded to a newer model. Covers don't come cheap, so I always add the price of a cover to the device's price and then make a decision as to whether it's worth it to upgrade.
That's the one thing not important for me at all. When I do get a cover (by no means always), it's always a cheapo third-party one. They're good enough for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #24
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I just got a cheaper cover from amazon this time. Works fine.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #25
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think the key isn't thick or thin or large bezels or small ones. What's needed is variety. That would let us all have the device we want. The problem is ereaders are tied to book stores so there's no competition among device manufacturers; just among book stores.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #26
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My issue is when ultra-light weight is considered the be-all and end-all of design and compromises such aspects as battery life.
Now we are getting somewhere! There are more compromises than just the battery life with these devices getting thinner and thinner:

1. Durability: Yes a case helps but these devices are much more fragile than a thicker build with bezels. Impact resistance and Flex Damage increases.

2. Repairability: At a certain thinness these devices are actually glued together (ipad air) and tend not to use screws anymore. So dis- and reassembly can be a PITA and nearly impossible sometimes. Even if the device doesn't break, after a certain time the battery will be dead and need to be replaced. Sustainability becomes questionable.

At a certain higher pricepoint of the larger E-Reader (10" and above) I like my devices to last me atleast 5 years.

I am still using my Hanvon E920 9.7" (1600x1200) which works flawlessly and was originally bought in 2012. It is possible to replace the battery with a generic one should it die.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Now we are getting somewhere! There are more compromises than just the battery life with these devices getting thinner and thinner:

1. Durability: Yes a case helps but these devices are much more fragile than a thicker build with bezels. Impact resistance and Flex Damage increases.

2. Repairability: At a certain thinness these devices are actually glued together (ipad air) and tend not to use screws anymore. So dis- and reassembly can be a PITA and nearly impossible sometimes. Even if the device doesn't break, after a certain time the battery will be dead and need to be replaced. Sustainability becomes questionable.

At a certain higher pricepoint of the larger E-Reader (10" and above) I like my devices to last me atleast 5 years.

I am still using my Hanvon E920 9.7" (1600x1200) which works flawlessly and was originally bought in 2012. It is possible to replace the battery with a generic one should it die.
And this leads to early device failure due to dead battery, breakage, etc. When that occurs, people will just accept the inevitable and get another device. That way, they don't notice that their devices have built-in obsolescence due to ever increasing hardware and software advances, and the drive by companies to drop support for devices still capable of running newer software.

I currently have several devices in great condition and still running KitKat. They have hardware that would easily handle newer operating systems, but manufacturers refuse to upgrade them because they're more interested in churning out more advanced devices. This results in my inability to use apps that now require a minimum of Android 5. I could look for older versions of the apps that may or may not work, but then I'd lose certain features.

So now I only purchase cheap devices. If I'm going to toss a perfectly functioning device, it's much better to do it on the cheap.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I think we are getting causes and effects all confuzzled. Upgrading the OS software has nothing to do with thinness. It has a lot to do with economics AND how many different pieces of the stack need to do the work of upgrading. Google, the chip makers, the handset makers and the telcos.

Handheld computers have never been repairable. Not to any extent and not by anyone except repair businesses. We used to be able to change the battery. That’s about it.

Apple keeps about 5 years of updates for its thin iPhones. But you'll still want a new battery every couple years. You just have to pay someone to do it for you....Apple or not. Plenty of thin Android phones get nothing like the kind of OS support. Thinness isn’t the problem.

You can add extra durability and extra battery life to a thin phone via a case.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:07 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Apple keeps about 5 years of updates for its thin iPhones. But you'll still want a new battery every couple years.
My phone is an iPhone 6 which is a few months short of 5 years old, and its battery life is absolutely fine. When I go to bed it typically has a battery charge of around 60% and I recharge it overnight. I use it all day for email, web browsing, etc.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
My phone is an iPhone 6 which is a few months short of 5 years old, and its battery life is absolutely fine. When I go to bed it typically has a battery charge of around 60% and I recharge it overnight. I use it all day for email, web browsing, etc.
I get the impression that battery life for an iPhone tends to be tied to how regular you are about charging it. I tend to charge just like you do. Just connect it when I go to bed. I've never had to replace the battery on an iPhone and I've had iPhones since the original.

My niece and nephew tend to only charge it when it's out of juice and then only a partial charge. They tend to wear out the battery in a couple of years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote