Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Post Notion Ink's Adam Previewed on Slashgear and Engadget

Both of these sites put together a nice preview of the Adam.

Slashgear had two articles:
Notion Ink Adam hands-on at CES 2011
Notion Ink Adam: Benchmarks & Flash Testing

And Engadget had the following articles:
Notion Ink Adam hands-on preview (video)
The Engadget Interview: Notion Ink's Rohan Shravan

Promo Video on Notionink.com

Both sites seemed rather pleased with the performance of the hardware, but I got the feeling Slashgear felt the Eden User Interface needed some more work. They did indicate that it was a good first start for a new UI.

The interview did indicate that they will be going to Android 3.0 and the Android Market after it is released.

And just as a reminder of the pricing. From this Slashgear article: Notion Ink Adam pre-orders from 1.30pm EST: Price-cuts & more

LCD + WiFi = $375.33
LCD + WiFi + 3G = $425.33
Pixel Qi + WiFi = $499.95
Pixel Qi + WiFi + 3G = $549.99 (This is the one I got)

Battery-life per Rohan Shravan in his interview with Engadget:
LCD = 10 to 14 hours
Pixel Qi = 11 to 15.5 hours

Plus they charged an extra $50 to everyone for shipping. So I paid $599.99.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prices change for the next pre-order round.

I just hope that I get mine before the end of the month so I can take it on vacation with me.

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 01-07-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added all of the other content I found that was released today.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
It looked very interesting. Were did you order it from?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I ordered the Pixel Qi version of the Adam during that few hours window when you could buy it on Notion Ink's website. They are currently sold out, but I noticed that they updated their website with a new promo video. I imagine they will announce when the next series of pre-orders will begin during CES.

Etienne66
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
hurling frootmig
hurling frootmig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nice looking tablet. I really like the pixelIQ display.
hurling frootmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
etienne66
Groupie

Looks like Engadget had a second video as well. They interviewed the CEO Rohan Shravan. The Engadget Interview: Notion Ink's Rohan Shravan

Etienne66
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did they sell to the whole world or only to the US?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
etienne66
Groupie

Listening to the interview, they sold 60% to the United States and about 40% to the rest of the world. Previously I had heard it the other way around. They still haven't released numbers so we don't know how many they sold before they sold out. They only thing we do know is that there were not as many Pixel Qi screens available as LCD. Early on they acted like they wouldn't sell out of the LCD version, but demand must have been higher than they were expecting for this little start-up company.

Etienne66
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I will just look out for them selling more. The price seemed to be reasonable.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I don't see mention of a price anywhere. May I ask how much you paid for the PixelQi version?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
etienne66
Groupie

From this Slashgear article: Notion Ink Adam pre-orders from 1.30pm EST: Price-cuts & more

LCD + WiFi = $375.33

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 01-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
i cant figure out how their sales works. If i order the device in India, do i have to pay import duties?
This is a big factor since duties come to around 30% of whatever the customs guy considers the value to be(not always the cost price on the package).
The device is probably shipped from china/taiwan but NI is Indian and i am ordering locally.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can't even figure out where I might be able to order one...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can't even figure out where I might be able to order one...
Currently (pre)orders for the 1st batch are closed. Next batch would be announced later possibly at their website/blog.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Both of these sites put together a nice preview of the Adam.

Slashgear had two articles:
Notion Ink Adam hands-on at CES 2011
Notion Ink Adam: Benchmarks & Flash Testing

And Engadget had the following articles:
Notion Ink Adam hands-on preview (video)
The Engadget Interview: Notion Ink's Rohan Shravan

Promo Video on Notionink.com

Both sites seemed rather pleased with the performance of the hardware, but I got the feeling Slashgear felt the Eden User Interface needed some more work. They did indicate that it was a good first start for a new UI.

The interview did indicate that they will be going to Android 3.0 and the Android Market after it is released.

And just as a reminder of the pricing. From this Slashgear article: Notion Ink Adam pre-orders from 1.30pm EST: Price-cuts & more

LCD + WiFi = $375.33

I just hope that I get mine before the end of the month so I can take it on vacation with me.

Etienne66
Beautiful piece of hardware!
Any ideas as to the battery life?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
etienne66
Groupie

I've heard various estimates. For the LCD version I've heard 10 to 13 hours. For the Pixel Qi version I've heard up to 16 hours. Supposedly if you are just reading with the back-light turned off it can run for up to 160 hours. Notion Ink was supposed to post examples of real world battery-life, but I think they forgot about that promise. Even at 16 hours it far outlasts the iPad.

Etienne66