Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #301
vasim07
vasim07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi, when I tried on Kobo Glo it keeps saying System Startet and the screen flashes continuously. I am using 2GB external card to write image (while writing it says the External card doesnt have enough memory and image will be truncted). I have KOBO GLO model:N613

Last edited by vasim07; 07-25-2014 at 06:45 AM.
vasim07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #302
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi! Your 2GB SD card is smaller than mine It's strange but SD card sizes can differ by a few kilobytes (2GB not equals 2GB). You need to try another one.

You can safely write the same image to 4GB SD card with no risk of truncating image.

If you don't want to buy another SD card you can resize last partition of the image (make it smaller) - but you need to do it under Linux - google for loop mount and use gparted app.

Sometimes there is another problem with SD cards - they don't want to boot at all. In this case they need to be formatted with SD-Formatter first.

Last edited by MarekGibek; 08-06-2014 at 02:35 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #303
mostafa.dkhissi
mostafa.dkhissi began at the beginning.

Hi,
I've installed it in external SD and it works!
But kernel didn't support USB Tethering !?

thanx
mostafa.dkhissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #304
chriscsh
chriscsh began at the beginning.

anyone know how to translate the power menu to other language?
chriscsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #305
oky04
oky04 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hi, I've tried to install dual boot with android from external sd on my kobo glo (613A and firmware 3.11.0). I've followed the guide of angor00 and all has gone well, except that when I try to turn on android the led changes various colors and at the and remains green and the screen remains white.
I've tried various micro sd (kingston 4 gb class 4, 8 gb class 4, 8 gb class 10 u1 and sandisk 8 gb class 10 u1), resized the partitions with MiniTool Partition and formatted with SDFormatter but nothing has changed. Could anyone help me?
PS: I havn't found the folder .kobo to be deleted in the external sd. Could I know where is it?

Last edited by oky04; 11-13-2014 at 06:15 AM.
oky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #306
oky04
oky04 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Could I know which type of micro sd (brand and class) you have used to run android from external sd?
Thanks
oky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #307
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Probably we can, but not without changes. It looks like it is wrapper for Nook system library we don't have.

What we have is libepd.so library and after decompilation of Tolino software I have found first usage of it. The app in the attachments shows how to do full area refresh from your app. If you want to write your app and have nice, smart refreshes and always clean display - you can use it We can also modify existing apps (like Moon+ Reader) and add needed calls to improve image quality (through decompiling, adding needed calls in smali). It's not s-f. It's doable. Someone did it for AlReader (you can find it on lesen.net Tolino forum, modified version is installed in my image posted here). It's easier for open source apps, of course. Generally it's fantastic that we can improve user experience on Kobo (and Tolino, hehe) devices. I'm now certain that Android is the best OS for Kobo readers

If you look closer into ScreenHelper class, there are screen refresh methods like A2, DU, GC16_PARTIAL, GC16_FULL etc. so we have the same update modes like Nook. A2 is for fast and no ghosting 1-bit black&white displays. We can turn on this mode for games and movies (but additional dithering implementation would be very desirable).

Have a good fun!
Has there been any development of no-refresh on the Kobo/Tolino? I use it on a Nook ST, and IMO it makes the Nook ST with Android much more useful. But it is not useful in e-reader apps. Page flashes don't matter there. It is very important for browsing the internet and reading pdfs (for scrolling).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #308
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Has there been any development of no-refresh on the Kobo/Tolino?
Not sure I understood you properly, but.. If your "no-refresh" means fast-refresh modes like A2, please, look at Android for Kobo v2 - improved reading mode and Kobo Service that allows user to turn A2-mode (pure Black & White) on (as well as A2+dither = BW with pseudograyscale) in any application. Is it what you searched for?
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #309
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Can someone who has Android on their Kobo comment on how good and actually readable Kindle app is please? (in terms of page refresh speed, dithering etc.)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-25-2015 at 06:52 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #310
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd appreciate if anyone can answer my question in previous post...

Plus:
How do you like Android on your Kobo? battery life, etc.
Did you install Android just out of curiosity to play with and when done, you went back to Kobo's own OS? Let me know.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #311
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
Not sure I understood you properly, but.. If your "no-refresh" means fast-refresh modes like A2, please, look at Android for Kobo v2 - improved reading mode and Kobo Service that allows user to turn A2-mode (pure Black & White) on (as well as A2+dither = BW with pseudograyscale) in any application. Is it what you searched for?
Thanks for that. Unfortunately that version of Android for Kobo only works for the Glo, and not the Aura HD. AFAIK no one has attempted to use it on the Aura HD, so it probably wont work or even brick the device.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #312
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
I'd appreciate if anyone can answer my question in previous post...

Plus:
How do you like Android on your Kobo? battery life, etc.
Did you install Android just out of curiosity to play with and when done, you went back to Kobo's own OS? Let me know.
On an Aura HD I wouldnt bother. Slow and hard to configure. Maybe Ill work it out but its no comparison to the Nook ST. I think it is better on the Glo and Touch because Marek has done a lot of work on it, but I dont own a Glo.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #313
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
On an Aura HD I wouldnt bother. Slow and hard to configure. Maybe Ill work it out but its no comparison to the Nook ST. I think it is better on the Glo and Touch because Marek has done a lot of work on it, but I dont own a Glo.
And by inference, as Touch and Mini are very similar, I'd say it'd run on Mini too with modifications, eh?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #314
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
as i have upgraded the firmware on my mini with the glo firmware file, i'll go ahead and write the glo image to the mini
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #315
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
as i have upgraded the firmware on my mini with the glo firmware file, i'll go ahead and write the glo image to the mini
You are talking about two completely different things. The Kobo firmware update package for the Mark 4 devices still includes everything needed for the Mini. That includes the kernel and uboot images. And if the update package didn't include those files, the update script will only install the KoboRoot.tgz file. And that contains files that are common to all the devices the update package is for.

The Android image for the Glo is unlikely to work on the Mini as the hardware is not the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino