Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
New Kindle e-reader shows up at FCC

I'm not sure if this has been posted as I searched the threads, but I came across this Digital Reader article: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UDQhf91lSdA.

So we know for now there's not just a new Kindle Fire but a new e-reader, though it's unclear whether it will have frontlight.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
So that's what happened to Grace's FireDock. I was wondering why they changed the name from FireDock to MatchStick. Either Amazon owned the term to begin with and told Grace to stop using it or they bought the term from Grace.

A reasonably priced dock for these 7" tablets should be a hit with the consumers. I'm surprised it's taking Amazon a year to release one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm not very familiar with FCC analysis reports (okay, I've never seen one before) so is there a reason the FCC would test and report on none communications related features? That article says that because they don't mention testing a front light, it is probably not the anticipated front lit kindle.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
No new kindle eink till february?.

Or my por english has me confused :-p
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
No new kindle eink till february?.

Or my por english has me confused :-p
I would assume Amazon would want their new devices out this fall (before Christmas shopping season) Not sure about that February reference.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well, this page at M-Edge is hinting at new (differently sized or shaped models that will need new covers) Kindle models "coming soon"

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle/

Earlier this month, this announcement had a note that new models were rumored to have a September release - I see they have replaced that with "Coming Soon"

As to front light, an earlier thread here announced that Amazon had contracted with the US State Department to supply Kindles - with front lighting.

So ... who knows?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well, this page at M-Edge is hinting at new (differently sized or shaped models that will need new covers) Kindle models "coming soon"

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle/

Earlier this month, this announcement had a note that new models were rumored to have a September release - I see they have replaced that with "Coming Soon"
M-Edge filed a pretty large lawsuit against Amazon last year (and when you browse Kindle cases on Amazon, M-Edge's products don't appear), so I doubt they would have any advance info - it's probably just based on speculation that Amazon always releases new models around this time.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I'm not very familiar with FCC analysis reports (okay, I've never seen one before) so is there a reason the FCC would test and report on none communications related features? That article says that because they don't mention testing a front light, it is probably not the anticipated front lit kindle.
The FCC is only concerned with RF (radio frequency) interference and compliance. They want to ensure that a device does not cause any RF interference with other devices or systems. In other words, they don't won't a Kindle causing your TV to act funny, or to screw up the electronics on an airplane, etc. Unless they have reason to suspect interference from something like a lighted front screen, they won't test it. But the FCC will test any radios built in to a device before they certify it.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.