Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Finding Your Book Interrupted ... By the Tablet You Read It On

"Reading a book on a tablet like the Kindle Fire is like trying to cook when there are little children around,” David Myers said.

By JULIE BOSMAN and MATT RICHTEL
Published: March 4, 2012, New York Times

"Can you concentrate on Flaubert when Facebook is only a swipe away, or give your true devotion to Mr. Darcy while Twitter beckons?

People who read e-books on tablets like the iPad are realizing that while a book in print or on a black-and-white Kindle is straightforward and immersive, a tablet offers a menu of distractions that can fragment the reading experience, or stop it in its tracks.

E-mail lurks tantalizingly within reach. Looking up a tricky word or unknown fact in the book is easily accomplished through a quick Google search. And if a book starts to drag, giving up on it to stream a movie over Netflix or scroll through your Twitter feed is only a few taps away.

That adds up to a reading experience that is more like a 21st-century cacophony than a traditional solitary activity..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/bu...tractions.html

Are our devices becoming so capable and flexible that they interfere with our reading. Are the new eReaders ruining our reading experience, our reading habits?
Should we rid ourselves of our iPads, our Fires, our Samsung Tablets and load up our Kindles, Nooks, Sonys, and Kobos again?

Should we?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I think if you set out to get something for reading ebooks, you'll primarily use it for that. I work with a few people that have Fires or Nook Color/Tablets that use them almost exclusively for reading. If you go into it thinking "Oh, this can get apps, use Twitterbook, Facespace, browse the net, play games, AND read ebooks!" you'll probably end up getting distracted with the other bells and whistles. Just my take on it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I think if you set out to get something for reading ebooks, you'll primarily use it for that. I work with a few people that have Fires or Nook Color/Tablets that use them almost exclusively for reading. If you go into it thinking "Oh, this can get apps, use Twitterbook, Facespace, browse the net, play games, AND read ebooks!" you'll probably end up getting distracted with the other bells and whistles. Just my take on it.
I am used to waiting a lot on clients and that was when I read usually my Kindle or paperbacks. Now it is different. I have noticed that my new Samsung 7 Plus has a hell of a lot of bells and whistles. A curse or a blessing? Too early to tell.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
How different is this than reading in a living room where the TV and computer are both on? I've been distracted in my reading (on my Sony Reader) by a pop-up telling me I got mail (on my computer).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I only read newspapers on my tablet, not books. And usually I turn the WiFi off when I do.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have the perfect solution.

I do not read ebooks on my iPAD.

No distractions at all when using my Sony PTS-650 ereader
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I just don't get it. If you can't focus, the problem is not your tablet.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
There's internet access on my Kindle and usually PCs within metres, so hardly of interest.

If a book starts to drag, change to one of the several hundred others on device, actually.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

Yep, half a dozen pop ups that all need to be closed informing you about incoming new emails, an SMS, a face book notification, the latest cricket score and putting the rubbish out, can really make you focus.....not

Sorry, when I read an ebook I use a device that lets me read without pop ups. I do not see a dead tree book popping up an alert that the book spine is coming apart or not to dog ear the page. USE a bookmark!...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
While I don't want to make excuses for our lack of self-discipline, my wife and I have found that planning out our environment helps us to spend more time doing the things we want to do. We do that with e-ink readers rather than tablets, decisions about whether or not to have cars and TVs, what foods are lying around the house and where, how computer work is arranged on virtual desktops, etc. For us it's a matter of thinking things through ahead-of-time so that the little spontaneous decisions are channeled in the directions we prefer.
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
When I had a reading only device without wifi I saw no need for it as I thought it would be a source of distractions. Now that I am reading on an iPad, I just turn them off.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
It depends on how disciplined you are and how you segregate your activities.

My iPad is a book reader at bedtime, I don't keep the other half awake when I am reading. During the day it is used for Facetime with our grandson or reading or doing whatever. It is only really used for tablet stuff when we are away from home and want to do Twitter, Facebook emails etc.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I can certainly discern a difference from when I'm reading on one my Readers and when I'm reading on my Transformer. After finishing a chapter on the latter I will open up Twitter or e-mail "just to check in". I don't do that when I'm on a Reader, then I just plunge on to the next chapter. But moving away from the book for a short while isn't a distraction, it is more like a short break.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Yep, half a dozen pop ups that all need to be closed informing you about incoming new emails, an SMS, a face book notification, the latest cricket score and putting the rubbish out, can really make you focus.....not
None of those happen when I read on an iPad.
The only popup message I ever get is one warning if the battery gets too low, which is useful.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
"People who read e-books on tablets like the iPad are realizing that while a book in print or on a black-and-white Kindle is straightforward and immersive, a tablet offers a menu of distractions that can fragment the reading experience, or stop it in its tracks.

E-mail lurks tantalizingly within reach. Looking up a tricky word or unknown fact in the book is easily accomplished through a quick Google search. And if a book starts to drag, giving up on it to stream a movie over Netflix or scroll through your Twitter feed is only a few taps away.
They have pills for ADHD now.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote