Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Manage Authors Dialog?

THe FAQ describes a method to change author displays to 'Last, First' using a 'Manage Authors Dialog'. I don't see this dialog anywhere. Clicking on an author name in the list just displays the standard dialog for editing the book information.

I have a library with some author names in 'First Last' format and some in 'Last, First' format. I want to change the sort AND the display into 'Last, First'. I am thinking I need to set the 'author sort name algorithm' tweak to 'comma', recalc all of the sort fields using the bulk metadata, and then set 'Use author sort in tag browser'. This isn't what the FAQ says though.

Am I right or am I missing something? (it wouldn't be the first time, heh)
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
right click on an author name in the tab browser, the area to the left of the book list
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

OK I found it, sorry (duh). It doesn't seem to work correctly though. When I recalculate the sort value, for example, author 'Holt, Tom' produces a sort value of ',Tom, Holt'.

I have the 'author sort name algorithm' tweak set to 'comma'.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
mdibella
Groupie

AHA! I think I see what's happening. The 'Holt,Tom' does not have a space after the comma, so the comma isn't being seen. I think I can fix that...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Then everything works. If you have the tweak set to comma, Calibre expects the author field to contain the author name in the format FN LN and will recalculate the author_sort value accordingly. If your author field contains LN, FN Calibre will assume that the first name is indeed the last name and produce the result you saw.
If you, as you wrote in your first post, want both author and author_sort to contain LN, FN then you'd have to set the tweak to copy, put LN, FN in every author field and then recalculate the author_sort values.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
mdibella
Groupie

yup, my bad, sorry. I have a LOTTA bad. heh
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Then everything works. If you have the tweak set to comma, Calibre expects the author field to contain the author name in the format FN LN and will recalculate the author_sort value accordingly.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
If your author field contains LN, FN Calibre will assume that the first name is indeed the last name and produce the result you saw.
Not True. If the author field contains LN, FN (a comma) it copies the author field to author_sort field.

Author Sort Tweak

Quote:
The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort Possible values are:
invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn" (the default algorithm)
copy : copy author to author_sort without modification
comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
When this tweak is changed, the author_sort values stored with each author
must be recomputed by right-clicking on an author in the left-hand tags pane,
selecting 'manage authors', and pressing 'Recalculate all author sort values'.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Ah, you're right. I wrote from memory, which was obviously wrong.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote