Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Got my PB 302 and have a few questions.

My PB 302 arrived Tuesday and I am mostly impressed. I have a few observations and questions.
  • Keyboard in the dictionary is unusable. The dictionary works pretty well. I downloaded and installed the Webster 1913 Dictionary and it works fine. BUT, when I select the keyboard I get a keyboard like the second picture that Kacir posted here. I have tried different combinations of keyboard settings in the reader and none of them seem to affect what keyboard comes up in the dictionary.
  • When I have zoomed a PDF to "Fit Width" I can't scroll with any buttons. I have to drag the document on the screen. All in all a minor annoyance.
  • A lot of people have said the screen is shiny and it is. It is shinier than the PRS 600 that I tried. I have a matte screen protector on the way and hopefully that fixes it.
  • There is one epub that I created in Calibre that I can't read. It opens fine and the table of contents work fine. But when I open and article the screen flashes momentarily and I can see the article then the screen turns black. I hope I just have to play with the Calibre recipe there. On the bright side, the Sony couldn't even open that epub.
  • The behavior of the reader is inconsistent.
    • I've yet to figure out what's going to cause the screen to rotate. Some times it rotates at the slightest tilt, other times you can hold it sideways for 10 minutes and it will never tilt.
    • Menus don't always pop up when I tap the screen. Sometimes I have had to leave a book and come back in before the menus start working.
    • I've been using the rotate menu all day and didn't realize until 20 minutes ago the it had four sets of "ABC" on it at four orientations so you could choose the one to rotate to. The menu was just blank and I happened to hit the right place.
    • Several times when I've opened some PDFs the reader has zoomed to -4000% (I don't even know what that means) and the screen is blank. I can zoom to the appropriate setting and all is good.
  • I really like the way the table of contents works. It could use some refinements but in general it is excellent.
  • I've yet to get the wireless to work. Still working on that.
In general I think I like it. I'll let you know more in the coming days.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 05-08-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: changed menu choice from zoom to rotate - oops.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
[*]Keyboard in the dictionary is unusable. The dictionary works pretty well. I downloaded and installed the Webster 1913 Dictionary and it works fine. BUT, when I select the keyboard I get a keyboard like the second picture that Kacir posted here. I have tried different combinations of keyboard settings in the reader and none of them seem to affect what keyboard comes up in the dictionary.
Dictionary from PocketBook 301 and 360 doesn't work (well, it obviously does, only the keyboard doesn't). You need to create/download from PocketBook a new dictionary.
I have learned that from a distributor when I reported the bud I found.
The dictionary must be generated specifically for PocketBook 302.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You need to create/download from PocketBook a new dictionary.
There are no 302-specific files of any kind at http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Downloads.html. Are they somewhere else?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded the dictionary from this thread. That works fine when I look up words in a book I'm reading but when I try to then type anything that's when I have a problem, I really think it's a bug in the pocketbook.

p.s. Thinking about it, I see what Kacir is saying. The dictionary I have was created for the PB360. So switched to the regular (Ukrainian or Russian, idk) dictionary and the keyboard was right.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 05-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
My PB 302 arrived Tuesday and I am mostly impressed.
[...]
In general I think I like it. I'll let you know more in the coming days.
Jim, I am very happy to know that overall you liked the reader .
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
  • The behavior of the reader is inconsistent.
    • I've yet to figure out what's going to cause the screen to rotate. Some times it rotates at the slightest tilt, other times you can hold it sideways for 10 minutes and it will never tilt.
    • I've been using the rotate menu all day and didn't realize until 20 minutes ago the it had four sets of "ABC" on it at four orientations so you could choose the one to rotate to. The menu was just blank and I happened to hit the right place.
  • I've yet to get the wireless to work. Still working on that.
Because the rotate menu wasn't displaying all the time, I didn't realize what rotate mode I was going into. Now I know that tapping one of the edges locks it into a particular mode (landscape, protrait 90, etc.) while tapping it in the center puts it into auto mode.

I got wifi working. I don't know why it didn't work before. I didn't do anything to make it start working. Now I'm waiting for a somewhat more mature browser.

I installed GrayNM's fb reader and it really improved the reading experience on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
Jim, I am very happy to know that overall you liked the reader .
Hello Tatiana. This is a great product you're selling. There is one thing I'm going to have to get fixed. In direct sunlight, when I change the page the next page is faded. Sometimes it's unreadable.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Because the rotate menu wasn't displaying all the time, I didn't realize what rotate mode I was going into. Now I know that tapping one of the edges locks it into a particular mode (landscape, protrait 90, etc.) while tapping it in the center puts it into auto mode.

I got wifi working. I don't know why it didn't work before. I didn't do anything to make it start working. Now I'm waiting for a somewhat more mature browser.

I installed GrayNM's fb reader and it really improved the reading experience on this.

Hello Tatiana. This is a great product you're selling. There is one thing I'm going to have to get fixed. In direct sunlight, when I change the page the next page is faded. Sometimes it's unreadable.
The more mature browser (based on Webkit) is nearly ready and there will be a beta version in late May if everything works out right.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
When is the matte screen coming?
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
Will be here pretty soon now, in the next weeks.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hello Jim! Thank you again. I am sorry to hear about the fading screen issue. As discussed via emails please contact our service hot line if the problem persists: 1 877 326 0196, ext 2 (8am-6pm CST, Monday to Friday).
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
tvpupsik
Addict

Quote:
302 with the matter screen should be available for sale in the USA in a few days. I will let all know once we have them.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
302 with the matter screen should be available for sale in the USA in a few days. I will let all know once we have them.
It'd be nice to see a video review. I have a PRS 600 but I'd consider switching to the 302 if glare is much reduced and the contrast is better.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Dictionary from PocketBook 301 and 360 doesn't work (well, it obviously does, only the keyboard doesn't). You need to create/download from PocketBook a new dictionary.
I have learned that from a distributor when I reported the bud I found.
The dictionary must be generated specifically for PocketBook 302.
I can't confirm this. I transfered the dictionary directly from my PB360 to the PB302 and it works fine.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
tvpupsik
Addict

Quote:
It'd be nice to see a video review. I have a PRS 600 but I'd consider switching to the 302 if glare is much reduced and the contrast is better.
The-eBook-Reader is planning to do a review, not sure it will be a video though. Please see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83562

http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org/
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #15
njok
njok began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302,Iriver Story
Where can i find/download English manual for 302 model. I got only German one on may reader.
njok is offline   Reply With Quote