Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #46
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
I think Amazon needs to work on their public relations. This wasn't a well thought out response by them regardless of the legality of the book they sold.

The thought that Amazon can come in whenever they please and do as they like with my property is very disturbing. It feels like I'm just renting my DX. The landlord can come in and swap out the microwave while I'm at work, I get no say in the matter. Actually, Amazon isn't even as respectable as my last landlord, at least they would have stuck a note under my door letting me know that they needed to come in for maintenance.

I've been keeping the wireless off on my Kindle unless I needed Amazon to sync books, mostly to save my Kindle's battery. I think now that I'll keep the wireless off for good....to save my privacy as well as the DRM'd books I'm renting from Amazon.

-robert
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The thought that Amazon can come in whenever they please and do as they like with my property is very disturbing. It feels like I'm just renting my DX.
The Kindle is your property, but the books on it aren't.

Quote:
You acknowledge that the sale of the Device to you does not transfer to you title to or ownership of any intellectual property rights of Amazon or its suppliers.
See? You have acknowledged that this is the case when you bought your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #48
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Not having title to the IP rights doesn't mean you don't own that copy of a particular bit of IP.

You don't own title or IP rights to a paperback book, but if a store discovers it's been selling bootlegged copies, they don't have the right to come into your house & reclaim the one they sold you.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #49
Gearhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What you say is true, but I wondering if you missed the point of my message?

I explicitly acknowledged the fact that I'm renting books from Amazon in my message. What I don't like is that they can come in unannounced to my property...the Kindle DX.

In my opinion, it is not OK for any Internet connected device manufacturer to come into a device I have purchased without my express consent given on a case-by-case basis. If I lost that right due to legal wording of an EULA then I'll just keep the wireless off.

-robert
Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In my opinion, it is not OK for any Internet connected device manufacturer to come into a device I have purchased without my express consent given on a case-by-case basis.
So every time you buy a book from Amazon, you'd like them to do what? Send you an e-mail to ask your permission for them to send it wirelessly to your Kindle? Forgive me for saying so, but isn't the automatic wireless transmission of material to the Kindle one of the main reasons that people buy it?

Kindles delete content automatically as a matter of routine. Eg, if you subscribe to a newspaper on the Kindle, every issue more than a certain number of days old is automatically deleted.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #51
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
So every time you buy a book from Amazon, you'd like them to do what? Send you an e-mail to ask your permission for them to send it wirelessly to your Kindle? Forgive me for saying so, but isn't the automatic wireless transmission of material to the Kindle one of the main reasons that people buy it?

Kindles delete content automatically as a matter of routine. Eg, if you subscribe to a newspaper on the Kindle, every issue more than a certain number of days old is automatically deleted.
For me it's a push vs pull. I have to pull the content to my library the Kindle servers shouldn't have direct access to my library without my permission. In other words it's always my actions that are manipulating my personal data unless I've granted them permission to perform a specific operation. I would be OK if they could push data to a staging directory on the Kindle and I could move it from their to my library but the server is restricted to just that staging directory.

Scheduled deletion of expired content is being performed locally not by the mother ship accessing my library.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many threads do we actually need to have about Amazon deleting illegally sold content from Kindles? And why is it that people are getting out of sorts on something that was the right thing to do? And why do you have a Kindle if you don't want Amazon to be able to get inside?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #53
Gearhead
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think of receiving books by wireless from Amazon like getting an email on my computer. I have control over my email, I can block, filter or opt-out any time. Getting books should be like getting email. I am the only one that gets to decide when I delete an email. Same for books.

Quote:
As for deleting content automatically, I assumed that it is My Kindle, not Amazon that is auto-deleting subscription content, not a push from Amazon but I could be wrong.

-robert
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
As for deleting content automatically, I assumed that it is My Kindle, not Amazon that is auto-deleting subscription content, not a push from Amazon but I could be wrong.

-robert
I believe that it's Amazon's server telling the Kindle to delete it. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #55
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
The Kindle is your property, but the books on it aren't.

This means that the intellectual property inherent in the Kindle is not transferred to you. This has nothing to do with the intellectual property in the books that you "buy" and put on the kindle. You need to look at the book sale agreement to determine whether you own the books or not. If you do own the books then deleting them off the kindle is a form of tort.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
This means that the intellectual property inherent in the Kindle is not transferred to you. This has nothing to do with the intellectual property in the books that you "buy" and put on the kindle.
Are you sure? I read the "intellectual property rights of Amazon or its suppliers" (my emphasis) as referring to the books that are in the Kindle store.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #57
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
If this was not a wake up call to people nothing is. Every book that one buys from Amazon should be stripped of the DRM and personal archive copy in MOBI format should be kept by the owner. I believe that this is contemplated and allowed by law as long as you don't distribute the copy to others.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
If this was not a wake up call to people nothing is. Every book that one buys from Amazon should be stripped of the DRM and personal archive copy in MOBI format should be kept by the owner. I believe that this is contemplated and allowed by law as long as you don't distribute the copy to others.
I'm sorry, Stingo, but I don't follow you. Why would you want Amazon to leave illegal content on your Kindle if they discovered that it had been illegally uploaded? That could leave you personally liable to prosecution for copyright infringement. I know that I would certainly want such material to be automatically removed, both because it the "right" thing to do, and because of the legal implications of not doing so.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #59
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
This is no longer a useful discussion. Both sides are dug in and points have been expressed. There would have to be a court(s) decision to take this to its ultimate decision.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, you're absolutely right. I shall say no more on the matter.