Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #22276
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Personally, I believe that idiots that drive in the outer lane of a dual carriageway or anything other than the inside lane of a motorway for no reason should be subject to pretty much any punishment you are capable of imagining. Idiots.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #22277
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Glad that you are still with us red. I could rant for hours about poor driving (I have just been on a 360 mile round trip today), but my main gripe are tailgaiters - I could cheerfully employ car-to-car missiles and despatch the lot of them!
Thanks.

I totally agree about tailgaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Personally, I believe that idiots that drive in the outer lane of a dual carriageway or anything other than the inside lane of a motorway for no reason should be subject to pretty much any punishment you are capable of imagining. Idiots.
No argument here.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #22278
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Glad that you are still with us red. I could rant for hours about poor driving (I have just been on a 360 mile round trip today), but my main gripe are tailgaiters - I could cheerfully employ car-to-car missiles and despatch the lot of them!
As a motorcycle rider, tailgaters are one of my pet peeves too. When on empty roads with just me and my shadow, I just slow down until I am fully stopped. The tailgater has the choice of stopping or going around me. You'd be amazed at how often they just stop and lean on their horn. When that happens, I get off the bike, take off my helmet, write down their license plate number, and begin walking back towards their car. You'd be amazed at how quickly they swerve around my bike and leave... None have ever stuck around to see what it is that I'm going to say or do. Good thing too, 'cuz I have absolutely NO idea what I would say or do.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #22279
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
With my luck this 6'4" 270 pound moke would get out of the car and meet me half way!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #22280
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
With my luck this 6'4" 270 pound moke would get out of the car and meet me half way!
One of the advantages of wearing motorcycle clothing is that it makes one look like The Road Warrior on steroids. I'm not so big, but with shoulder armor and elbow armor, I look like Rambo on a good day... It helps.

(It doesn't hurt that I taught Kung-fu for 25 years either. It enables me to run away faster.)

Stitchawl
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #22281
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Completely agree - that's my second biggest driving gripe. I often try to "teach" them the error of their ways by pulling in front of them, and indicating towards the inside lane, and then moving there myself. Sometimes it even works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
As a motorcycle rider, tailgaters are one of my pet peeves too. When on empty roads with just me and my shadow, I just slow down until I am fully stopped. The tailgater has the choice of stopping or going around me. You'd be amazed at how often they just stop and lean on their horn. When that happens, I get off the bike, take off my helmet, write down their license plate number, and begin walking back towards their car. You'd be amazed at how quickly they swerve around my bike and leave... None have ever stuck around to see what it is that I'm going to say or do. Good thing too, 'cuz I have absolutely NO idea what I would say or do.

Stitchawl

Reminds me of a story a friend told me where he had an altercation with another driver. The other driver then pulled alongside him and gestured for my friend to pull over to the side, implying he was going to beat him up. My friend immediately pulled over to the hard shoulder and got out, but the other motorist just carried on. Funnily enough, when my friend caught back up with the guy, he studiously studied the road ahead and refused to acknowledge my friend again .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #22282
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I'm not a speed rider (most of the time.) I'm a sight-see'er. I might accelerate quickly up to the speed limit, but don't usually exceed it by much. So when someone does run up my tail, I tend to move over to make it easier for them to pass me without having to go too far into the other lane. But all too often, they don't want to pass. I don't understand it, but even if I use hand signals offering them to go around me, they will sit right on my back bumper and if I don't speed up, sound their horns. People are strange... In California, so many are killing each other off in 'road rage' that it makes driving more of a danger from anger than from vehicle faults!

Motorcycles are permitted to 'split lanes' in Japan, and many streets have special bike lanes painted right onto the road. And all too often there is some a$$ who will position his car in a traffic jam so as to block off all passage in that lane. If 'he' can't move, he's not about to let some motorbike drive on by!

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #22283
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Bureaucracy. An 11-letter word that means 'absurd.'

So I had to get my Bank-generated statement of account and its translation notarized. Shouldn't be a big deal. Expensive. $120 USD, but what's it take, right? Wrong.

First, the Notary asked me for my Alien Registration card. This is issued by the government, with my photograph and an embedded hologram, with all my relevant data. No problem. We are required to always have this with us. But what I didn't have was a copy of the certification from the Public Office saying that this was MY Alien Registration card (remember, my photo is embedded into the card under the hologram.) So I had to go back to City Hall, fill out an application for the certification, pay the filing fee so that the clerk would print out a paper saying 'Yes, this is his card' and stamp it in five different places. Then I had to take the paper and the card to the police station so they could give me THEIR form saying, "Yes, not only is this his card, but the address EMBEDDED in the card and the birthday EMBEDDED in the card is accurate." And pay the fee. THEN I could go back to the Notary and she made six copies of the form that said "Golly gee! The form that the bank made that Stitchawl presented and signed is really the form that the bank made and Stitchawl signed."

It would be easier to move to Venus.

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #22284
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Bureaucracy. An 11-letter word that means 'absurd.'
And it is obviously designed to extract cash from the foreigners.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #22285
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And it is obviously designed to extract cash from the foreigners.
Even the Japanese have to pay these fees for things. They aren't singling out the foreigners. We just need more paper than the locals.

Stitchawl
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #22286
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
So the idea is that once you are in Japan, they don't want you and your money to leave and spend the money elsewhere?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #22287
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
So the idea is that once you are in Japan, they don't want you and your money to leave and spend the money elsewhere?
No, it's that anything you do officially (moving, applying for things, filling out forms, etc.,) requires 'official' documentation, and all of that requires paying fees, often high fees. It's not just for foreigners... When my wife needs to renew her driving license, she has to get the same official forms proving where she lives that I have to get. But as a foreigner, I also have to prove that I'm legally permitted to reside in Japan. It's just standard bureaucracy taken up a few levels. Only the ancient Chinese Mandarin were more complex with it.

Stitchawl
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #22288
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Some &^%$#^^ has been parking his bike against the door each morning for the last couple of weeks, blocking the doorway when I open the store in the morning. We move his bike across the street (where there are bike clamps and he can park his bike) and asked him several times not to park his bike against our door anymore. But he keeps doing it.

This morning I had enough. I grabbed a hand full of tie wraps and secured his bike against the fence. He wasn't happy when he wanted to leave, but didn't come in to complain. Hopefully from now on he'll park his bike in the right place, otherwise I'll have to think of something else.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #22289
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Some &^%$#^^ has been parking his bike against the door each morning for the last couple of weeks, blocking the doorway when I open the store in the morning. We move his bike across the street (where there are bike clamps and he can park his bike) and asked him several times not to park his bike against our door anymore. But he keeps doing it.

This morning I had enough. I grabbed a hand full of tie wraps and secured his bike against the fence. He wasn't happy when he wanted to leave, but didn't come in to complain. Hopefully from now on he'll park his bike in the right place, otherwise I'll have to think of something else.

Do you sell 'fly paper' in your store? A few strips wrapped around the hand grips might be a deterrent.

Stitchawl
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #22290
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Do you sell 'fly paper' in your store? A few strips wrapped around the hand grips might be a deterrent.

Stitchawl
We don't, but we do sell double sided tape . If that doesn't help I will tape it to the fence with the most sticky wide tape we have, mummifying it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness