Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
vkaghkd
vkaghkd began at the beginning.

Device: biscuit
Exclamation Suddenly my Calibre's GUI icons became too huge.

My calibre's user interface icons scaling became too huge.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

my display resolution is 1920x1080 and I've never touched display scaling option nor turned on any virtual high-resolution option from my VGA settings.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

I cannot be sure but the only thing that I've done just before I got this symptom is installing synergy program. (mouse keyboard sharing program among multi-systems)

somebody please

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-02-2016 at 09:07 AM.
vkaghkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
vkaghkd

Thumbs up thank you moderator. I should have read guidline first

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Now you should look at Preferences: Look and Feel: Main Interface (tab): Toolbar (in lower area)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
vkaghkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Now you should look at Preferences: Look and Feel: Main Interface (tab): Toolbar (in lower area)
Thank you for the reply. but my Toolbar icon size setting is just medium. and I don't think any of those look and feel's settings can make GUI icons scaled to that huge ones.
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Those are not Huge. They look Normal (default) to me (I do run small, with no text)

Why not try another Icon theme?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those are not Huge. They look Normal (default) to me (I do run small, with no text)

Why not try another Icon theme?
Those icons look like Large to me and they are the default icons. Here's vkaghkd's toolbar and mine when my setting is Large (its normally Off)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	566
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	149144

If you display the Tool names you don't reduce horizontal spacing with the different icon sizes. You will only get more horizontal space if you set the display Tool names setting to Never (display).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This looks like something on your OS is scaling display elements differently. Probably some DPI or accessibility settings/software.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
dendron
dendron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW2
I have the same problem: Most icons in the Calibre UI have become huge.
See the following screenshot for more details:
https://picload.org/image/rddaaodi/calibre.png
Toolbar icon size is set to "medium". Note also the oversized UI elements in the tag browser and at the bottom.
Calibre version is 2.68, running on Arch Linux x86_64 (Gnome). I also tried the latest git revision. No other program shows these issues. DPI and accessibility settings are all normal.

Any help is appreciated!

---
EDIT:
This is apparently the same issue as Grollicus had with the ebook viewer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278442

His solution worked for me as well.

As the comments in __init__.py already suggest, it would probably be best to create an option in the preferences to control the DPI scaling.

Keep up the good work, Kovid!

Last edited by dendron; 09-28-2016 at 08:07 AM.
dendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm interested, what is the dpi of your monitor? Run calibre in debug mode

calibre-debug -g

and it should print out the dpi.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #11
dendron

Here you go:

Code:
$ calibre-debug -g
[...]
logicalDpi: 48.0 x 48.0
physicalDpi: 87.0857142857 x 85.725
[...]
Using Grollicus' suggestion and setting the QT_SCALE_FACTOR environment variable:

Code:
$ QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1 calibre-debug -g
[...]
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 174.171428571 x 171.45
[...]

Last edited by dendron; 09-28-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Weird I dont know why qt would activate high dpi scaling since your monitor does not seem to be high dpi.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
dendron

Indeed, it's a regular 1980x1080px Monitor.

It seems to be an issue with the Qt libraries shipped with Calibre.
Although I don't use many Qt applications (and most of them are still on Qt4), the native Qt5 diagnosis on my system returns:

Code:
$ qtdiag-qt5
[...]
Screens: 1, High DPI scaling: inactive
# 0 "eDP1" Depth: 24 Primary: yes
Geometry: 1920x1080+0+0 Available: 1920x1053+0+27
Physical size: 280x160 mm  Refresh: 60 Hz Power state: 0
Physical DPI: 174.171,171.45 Logical DPI: 96,96 Subpixel_None
Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Currently the Qt shipped with calibre is Qt 5.5 which has no support for high dpi. The high dpi stuff only works if you use Qt >= 5.6.

You are using the distro calibre package or the official calibre binary from calibre-ebook.com?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #15
dendron

I'm using the distro package.
Could this be a bug in the Qt packages shipped with Arch then? Or in upstream Qt even?