Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
what make/model should i get.....

i am looking for something to spend my tax return on, and some of the devices i am interested in just dont supprt all the formats i want. namely im looking at the pocketbook360 and the sony PRS 600 and PRS 900 (though i dont like the 3g bit)

i like simple, with as few buttons as possible, and touch screen. (the 360 isnt touch i think.) anyway, my question for here is, What makes/models fit these criteria that can support OI?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only devices that OpenInkPot supports are the Hanlin V3 (sold under many names) and the Hanvon N516 (Azbooka 516). Both have lots of keys, because key mapping is the primary interface to OpenInkPot (no touch screen support).

If you like OpenInkPot because of FBReader, then two devices to look at are the Onyx Boox 60 (BeBook Neo) and the PocketBook 302. Both have touch screens and WiFi, and use FBReader for all formats except ePub and PDF. The PocketBook's firmware is relatively open, and the device is certainly hackable (it is easy to access system files), although I'm not sure that all its source code is available.

FBReader was designed for touch screen devices, but most of the EInk ports have replaced its standard interface with one based primarily on key presses. An exception is the iRex DR800S(G), which has a 3rd party port of FBReader that is identical to the standard Linux Desktop version (and so is almost entirely touch screen based).
Advert