Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can't connect to wifi on PW1

Hi,

Since I upgraded to firmware 5.4.4 (whatever the latest is, anyway!), my Paperwhite (1st gen) refuses to connect to wifi. I have tried several reboots, both of the device and the router, and in the last week we have also got a new router, which the PW still refuses to connect to.

If it makes any difference, I had to upgrade my FW manually, as the PW didn't seem to realise there was an update even a good while after release. The wifi had been connecting fine up until this point, so that didn't seem to be the problem.

I'd really appreciate hearing any ideas on how to fix this, hoping it doesn't mean it's broken - don't want to be without my PW if it has to be repaired/returned!

Thanks.
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@bethany7-
Need more details...does your PW 'see' your network? If not, have you 're-scanned'? Correct password entered (case sensitive)?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Yes, the PW sees the network fine, both for the new router and the old, and I've tried entering the passwords many times - it doesn't appear to remember the password if it hasn't connected, so I've had to put it in a lot! I've also tried a manual setup, to no avail.

Thanks for replying.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bethany7-
Puzzler.... if your PW can 'see' your network and tries to connect, I don't think your PW is broken. Do you have any other wireless devices connected successfully? If you are certain you are entering your password correctly (especially careful about case sensitivity), the only other thing I can suggest as a last resort would be to do a reset to factory on your PW. You might wait on that until some other tech wizard jumps in with an idea or two.

--Also, if you don't have too many other wifi devices you might try resetting your network password on your router.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-30-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
bethany7
Enthusiast

Okay, the problem seems to have been fixed, although I'm not quite sure how!

I tested the PW by connecting to my phone via tethering, which worked perfectly. I then performed another PW restart. The router decided to drop all wireless connections, as it does from time to time, then came back online. Upon trying to connect my PW just now, I was presented with a slightly different box that gave me the option to connect via WPS. I didn't do this, I just continued to type in my password and hit connect. And voila, it worked.

Whether something updated itself when it was tethered to my phone, or whether the router is just useless, or some combination of the two, I do not know. But at least it's working again!

Thanks for your help, GoSharks!
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@bethany7-
Sounds like a router issue...glad you got it sorted!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Have you checked to see if there are any updates available for your router? I know mine had at least one update, which I performed. It does seem to be a bit more stable now. It used to hang up pretty often (wouldn't allow connection, had to reboot the router). Now it hangs much more infrequently.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote