Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
"Tens of millions" of tablet computers

From BBC web site ..... Tablets take off in 2010

Tens of millions" of tablet computers will be sold in 2010, according to technology analysts at Deloitte.

The keyboard and mouse-free devices are likely to be a top trend among consumers, they anticipate.

Deloitte's prediction fuels rumours that Apple is set to unveil a tablet-style computer at a press event it is hosting on 27 January.

However, the impact of tablet sales on the burgeoning e-reader market could be substantial, the report said.

"For every million net tablets sold there will be a corresponding impact on e-readers," said Jolyon Barker from Deloitte's Technology, Media and Telecommunications department.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Time will tell..... many of these predictions..... correction, MOST of these predictions never happen. At the end of the year everyone forgets them, and things move along......

Yes, time will tell.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Time will tell..... many of these predictions..... correction, MOST of these predictions never happen. At the end of the year everyone forgets them, and things move along......

Yes, time will tell.
Hey, Bremen, I just checked out your page on AcidPlanet. Your music sounds good! Here's mine. Unfortunately, making music is one of those things that I don't have enough time to do as well as I'd like, so I don't do it at all!

Last edited by rlparker; 01-19-2010 at 12:46 PM.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
This sounds to me like pure speculation-unless Deloitte's analysts have private information about the Apple tablet. Based on the tablets that are actually available, the same problems that have plagued them in the past still plague them, i.e. clumsy user interface & poor connectivity. If they're sold/used as ebook readers, then these problem might not matter-but then they're competing with other ebook readers. If the rumored Apple tablet has solved these problems, then the analysts might be right-but that, AFAIK, is still pure speculation.

I can speculate as well as they can-the only difference is that I do it according to what *I* think will happen rather than according to directions provided by marketing executives.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It depends on what people plan to use them for. With a proper keyboard, netbooks are much more versatile. If you just want to play music, watch video and muck around, maybe a keyboard-less tablet would work, but these will not be suited as second computers for business people.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I would certainly rather have a multi-function device than a dedicated reader, but that is just my personal preference. I am definitely in the market for a tablet style PC myself, and I am patiently waiting for the right device to become available.

Must have:
Win XP or Win7
Approx 9" screen (or slightly larger)
SDHC card reader
USB mini, host and slave (and for charging)
Bluetooth and SIM card slot
At least 6 hour battery life, 8-10 would be better.
Thin and light, and a very small bezel around the screen (the front should be almost all screen).

Last edited by CyGuy; 01-19-2010 at 04:00 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
But what will you use it for? As ficbot said, I can see one used for music, videos, and ebooks. maybe even web browsing if the connection speed is good. (The current tablets work fine in a WiFi environment, but I'm not too sure how they'll work on the cell network. As far as that goes, I'm not sure how well 3G works in real life-most of what I hear is that there are too many people trying to use it, overloading the bandwidth. Don't know in person-we just got 3G here a week ago.)

the problem with limiting them to music, etc. is that there are already cheaper devices that do that. The other area where a tablet excels is field use, e.g. checking delivery manifests, taking 'pre-defined' notes (e.g. selecting from a list of options, maybe with brief text entry). etc.

So I agree that there's a niche for them, I just don't think it's large enough to sell 'tens of millions'.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
It depends on what people plan to use them for. With a proper keyboard, netbooks are much more versatile. If you just want to play music, watch video and muck around, maybe a keyboard-less tablet would work, but these will not be suited as second computers for business people.
As much as I adore my netbook for reading, I do still want something with a tablet form factor. I've gotten so spoiled to being able to buy and open any format with my netbook, that I don't think I'll be going back to any device that doesn't have that capability.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The e-reader technology is really hitting new levels, especially with the mirasol color screens coming out. They will be getting better and cheaper so it's obvious that more people will move towards them.

Tablets will be huge for sure, but what Apple does in this area will have a large effect. Like them or hate them, Apple has a huge influence in the tech sector and if they release a shiny tablet this month the consumer hype will go through the roof.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
As much as I adore my netbook for reading, I do still want something with a tablet form factor. I've gotten so spoiled to being able to buy and open any format with my netbook, that I don't think I'll be going back to any device that doesn't have that capability.
I agree completely with your statement above.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I hope one of these things has a gesture/motion detection capability. Not only do I want to read books & documents without touching the thing when eating a messy sandwich, but I'd like to use it as a sheet music display device (assuming it is large enough for that).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i think so too that 2010 will have a great impact on the advancement of technology.

after all, technology does change rapidly. but yeah. only time will really tell.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I hope one of these things has a gesture/motion detection capability. Not only do I want to read books & documents without touching the thing when eating a messy sandwich, but I'd like to use it as a sheet music display device (assuming it is large enough for that).
Or even better, mind control?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
temsem said:
>but I'd like to use it as a sheet music display device (assuming it is large enough for that).

Tablet PCs can be used for that now --- companies have even worked up hardware to facilitate page turning control:

http://www.musicreader.net/hardware/tablet-pc.html

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
As usual, "meh"

Netbooks took a few years to reach those sales levels (~33 million sold last year), and most netbooks are pretty cheap -- $350 or so -- whereas tablets will likely cost much more, particularly at the outset. Especially considering that there aren't really any slates out yet, odds are that "tens of millions" getting sold in 2010 are pretty slim. 2011 may be another story.

And, of course, slates could turn out to be a niche whose importance is vastly inflated by the tech oracles -- much like their immediate predecessors, namely tablet pc (the ones with a keyboard attached).

Plus, the idea that tablet/slate vs ebook reader sales is a zero-sum game is a rather primitive one, especially if reader costs continue to fall.

Last edited by Kali Yuga; 01-20-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote