Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Question for people with broken screens

Dear people who have had a broken Cybook screen at some point...

Did you have your Gen3 in a case when the screen was broken? The reason I'm asking is that I've got mine in the standard brown case (without a hole to see the LED), and I'm not entirely convinced it's fool proof. If I drop the book it has to land on a corner, unless it does the virtually impossible and land completely flat on one size. So if it lands on a corner I'm not confident there's enough padding to prevent the plastic shell of the Cybook making contact with a hard concrete floor.

It also seems that where a screen has broken it's often the case that torque/torsion/twisting has happened, and again I'm wondering if the case is enough to prevent this.

Also, sorry if I bring back any bad memories from people with broken screens, I realise it can't have been a pleasant experience at all, and I hope I don't sound unsympathetic.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dropping it is rarely the problem. The real problem (from seeing my wife's broken screen myself) is when things press on the screen - e.g. in a bag with another non-flat object. The case is not sufficiently rigid to prevent the screen being pressed and broken.

OTOH, my cybook has survived about 18 months, perhaps because I always make sure it's not pressed or twisted. It has been dropped (in case) a few times though - one enough to dislodge the SD Card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post

Did you have your Gen3 in a case when the screen was broken? The reason I'm asking is that I've got mine in the standard brown case (without a hole to see the LED), and I'm not entirely convinced it's fool proof. If I drop the book it has to land on a corner, unless it does the virtually impossible and land completely flat on one size. So if it lands on a corner I'm not confident there's enough padding to prevent the plastic shell of the Cybook making contact with a hard concrete floor.

It also seems that where a screen has broken it's often the case that torque/torsion/twisting has happened, and again I'm wondering if the case is enough to prevent this.

Also, sorry if I bring back any bad memories from people with broken screens, I realise it can't have been a pleasant experience at all, and I hope I don't sound unsympathetic.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
Mine fell out of case & fell on the corner, result- white line down the center. Sent for repair. Second time was slight pressure on front while in case- result cracked screen. Bookeen should have it on Monday. Must use something to prevent falling out of case.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I do have a case. Didn't prevented my screen to get broken. Though the state of the case shown it was hit pretty bad. (I wish i knew how, so i don't repeat that one mistake)
I've learned to put the cybook inside the bag rather than outside since then.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I'm fumble fingered. Well actually I like to read while I move around and gripping it by the corner so you can turn pages doesn't give you that solid a grip. Most times its, no problem but every now and then it would slip out of my hand while I was doing something else.

Dropping it so it landed askew was no problem. In other words landing so that one corner or edge hit, followed by another corner or edge. I make this distinction because I never truly dropped it edge-on or directly on a corner.

What did it in was when it dropped completely flat -- in its case. Splat, and that was it.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i only dropped it once - in its case, which i never take it out of - and very luckily for me, it fell flat and i'm still reading on it months later.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
Must use something to prevent falling out of case.
On the lower left side of the reader you can find 2 holes for a hand strap. You can use this to fix it to the case.

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Fell twice out of its cover, w/ no damage :crossfingers:
I always carry it in a (big) pocket & think of putting it outside the safetybelt when in a car
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:

Did you have your Gen3 in a case when the screen was broken? The reason I'm asking is that I've got mine in the standard brown case (without a hole to see the LED), and I'm not entirely convinced it's fool proof. [snip]
Mine was in the brown case when the screen broke.
The Gen3 in its brown cover was in a jacket pocket,
and I suspect that it got squashed/twisted between my body and the car's seatbelt.

Since then, the brown case has travelled in a padded bag, and I have not put it into clothing pockets.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is all bad news, it indicates the standard case isn't sufficient...

I carry mine in my jacket pocket - it's a perfect fit. I've just felt how "strong" the front of the case is, and it's not. All it'll do is pad any impact that would have hit the screen. I guess that'd stop most kinds of impacts from objects dropping on it, but as people have experienced it's not going to stop damage if I sit on it, or if I kneel on it by accident etc.

I guess what we need is a similar case - I'd be more comfortable if it was a tad larger, with a metal plate in the front, and some padding of some kind around the plastic edge of the unit to absorb pressure before pressure bends the metal. Rather expensive I'd think!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is all bad news, it indicates the standard case isn't sufficient...
I beg to differ; I think the standard case is perfectly adequate for protecting the CyBook from "normal" wear and tear. It's a little unreasonable to expect any "normal" case to protect a CyBook from being sat on or knelt on .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Hope I don't put a hex on myself but I think the standard case is fine for most use. I live with expensive cameras and treat the reader as I do my cameras.

You can't treat a reader like a book, that is for sure, but once you get over that mind shift the readers seem OK.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've used the standard case, now, for over a year and it's protected my Cy from cats etc. It is adequate for the purpose of protecting the unit and after all this time it remains in good nick (apart from claw holes on the back)..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic

Mine is fine after a year as well. It's certainly essential to have a case for any reader that leaves the house. I'm just a little worried as it's so expensive to replace a screen.

Any little accident could be the end of my rather expensive toy!

I could be reading in bed at night, and I fall asleep, the book tumbles to the floor... I get out of bed and stand on it.

I have it in my jacket pocket when I'm travelling, I pick up my bag and hoist it up, and it bashes into the Cybook.

It's in my jacket pocket and I stumble and hit something.

All those things worry me.

I perhaps should have been clearer, I'm not trying to say the cover is useless, or it doesn't do what it should do. I'm more saying that the sense of security I had with the cover - i.e. that inside that it'd take something severe to damage it - is gone.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
There is clearly a need for a more rigid case since mine also broke while in the case. I had mine in a bag with other things and something with a sharp corner must have pushed up against it. Metal boxes seem to do the trick for most people.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote