Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
v2.85 Open With missing on format right click

Since upgrading to F/W 2.85, I've lost the easy way to open an epub with Sigil. There used to be an "open with" line in the drop down menu when right-clicking on the epub format in the details, which disappeared, and I didn't see an alternative other than using the folder link. Is there a short cut somewhere else?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Since upgrading to F/W 2.85, I've lost the easy way to open an epub with Sigil. There used to be an "open with" line in the drop down menu when right-clicking on the epub format in the details, which disappeared, and I didn't see an alternative other than using the folder link. Is there a short cut somewhere else?
Confirmed

It's also available via View Specific Format (Alt+V), button bottom right left.

Suggestion: give it a keyboard shortcut, I use Shift+S

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-12-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: dyslexia
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry an unanticipated side effect of the other changes to Book details -- will be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Confirmed

It's also available via View Specific Format (Alt+V), button bottom right.

Suggestion: give it a keyboard shortcut, I use Shift+S

BR
Thank you very much. Alt+V works - but I don't see the button you mention. The keyboard shortcut is good, though I had to make it CTRL+S since the Shift+S was already taken according to calibre.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #5
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sorry an unanticipated side effect of the other changes to Book details -- will be fixed in the next release.
Thank you. It allowed me to learn about creating shortcuts in Calibre from BetterRed - very useful.
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much. Alt+V works - but I don't see the button you mention. The keyboard shortcut is good, though I had to make it CTRL+S since the Shift+S was already taken according to calibre.
That's because I can't tell my right from my left, which is why I prefer posting pictures, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	156682

BR
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Thank you. You know, I've done a (very) unofficial "survey" of e-books provided by commercial publishers, and it appears that about 97.632% of them are created by Calibre. (Remember, of course, that 87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.) In a just world, that means that if Kovid were given 1 cent for each e-book sold that was created by his free program, he'd be able to buy that island in the Caribbean he has always wanted. Or whatever it is that he has always wanted.

Unfortunately, though, I came here to whine a little bit. I create e-books (more like e-articles, actually) in epub-2 format which I use in my classes, and have always included an MP3 file as part of the article. Yeah, I know, audio and video are not supported in epub-2; but I'm not publishing them, I'm just using them for myself. These MP3 files have always played from within Calibre.

Well, I've discovered that somewhere between versions 2.71 and 2.79, that play functionality has disappeared. I just did a little experimentation, and I installed 2.82, 2.83, and 2.84, as well as the aforementioned 2.79, and none of them will play the audio.

If that is intentional, so be it; I'll just stick with the 2.71. But I thought I'd mention it in case it was what's euphemistically known as "an unintended side-effect."

Thanks for your great program!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
That's because I can't tell my right from my left, which is why I prefer posting pictures, viz:

Attachment 156682

BR
I'm sorry, but I never saw that "choose the format" menu. How do you call it up? I've been using always the latest version of the portable Calibre.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JustinThought: The calibre viewer has never officially supported audio, it tends to work some of the time on some platforms, but never reliably.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
Thank you. You know, I've done a (very) unofficial "survey" of e-books provided by commercial publishers, and it appears that about 97.632% of them are created by Calibre. (Remember, of course, that 87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.)
This comment caught my attention. My very unofficial survey shows that around 80% of commercial publishers use Adobe InDesign, I buy USA and Spanish books mostly.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I never saw that "choose the format" menu. How do you call it up? I've been using always the latest version of the portable Calibre.
Select a book then use the shortcut BetterRed indicated Alt-V. Of course when I used it my book didn't open in Sigil. But unlike the built in Open With function the Open With plugin is still working fine for me. I have no problem using it to open my books in Sigil.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Quote:
It's also available via View Specific Format (Alt+V), button bottom right left.
View specific Format, is an option in the View Books toolbar button's drop down menu, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	156706

BR
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
@JustinThought: The calibre viewer has never officially supported audio, it tends to work some of the time on some platforms, but never reliably.
No problem, I've rolled back to a version that works, I'll just refrain from updating. Appreciate all your work!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Possibly related:
I cannot now (2.85) right click on a book cover and choose 'open with...', I sorely miss this feature.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Update to 2.85.1