Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Pandigital getting into the e paper based reader game

Well, it looks like Pandigital hasn't been soured on the ebook reader game. Engadget announced that they are releasing a 6" reader using SiPix epaper with a touch screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/p...ith-the-novel/

It could be interesting and if the price is discounted by the retailers very much, it could be a rather interesting reader (Though I have yet to see any SiPix screens in person, so I am not sure how well they compete with eInk.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
"I've got a bad feeling about this, Chewie..."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Overpriced.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Overpriced.
I agree, considering the fact that it is coming from a noname, it probably is overpriced. The thing is though, I wonder if it is really going to sell at that price. I suspect that many of the stores that Pandigital sells in (Kohls, K-Mart) might well put some pretty big discounts on it pretty quickly.

That being said, a lot will depend on how well the unit is actually implemented. I have yet to see what I consider a good side by side of SiPix with E-Ink, particularly Pearl. That being said, it has wifi, a touch screen and looks like a fairly attractive looking unit. If the price comes down towards $150 and it actually works well, it could be a rather interesting reader.

--
Bill
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I had one for a while until it got stolen, now I have an Aluratek and its a greater reader for the price I paid for it. The only difference between the Pandigital and the Kindle is that the kindle has a hardware keyboard while the Pandigital has a virtual one. Other than that its equal to the kindle.

Last edited by jbcohen; 10-20-2010 at 11:09 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
That being said, a lot will depend on how well the unit is actually implemented. I have yet to see what I consider a good side by side of SiPix with E-Ink, particularly Pearl.
Unless they've made leaps and bounds in the last few months, they are a good deal inferior to E-Ink Pearl, and slightly inferior to previous generation Vizplex.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard

Well, we will see. The pictures I have seen suggest that the background is somewhat darker than E-Ink, but that the text is blacker than Vizplex. The pictures (Though I am not sure how many are real pictures and how many are simulations) suggests that it handles conventional touch screens better than E-Ink (as opposed to Sony's new touch screen technology which causes no issues at all) -- At least that is the impression I get from looking at videos of the Bookeen Orizon and the Booq Avant (A spanish ebook reader I happened on by accident). Coincidently, from pictures of the Pandigital new reader, it looks like it might use similar software to the Avant.

The new Sony is fantastic, but if I can find a reader that supports wifi, and has a decent touch screen which is comparable in quality to the vizplex screens, integration with B&N and it costs significantly less (I suspect this unit will probably sell for $50 less than the list price!)... well that could be a rather compelling package, provided it works well.

Actually, what would be really great is if one of these readers with wifi were to link directly to Project Gutenberg or some other repository of free Public Domain books.

--
Bill
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What is e-ink and how does it differ from the way PC monitors display text?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
jbcohen,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Well, we will see. The pictures I have seen suggest that the background is somewhat darker than E-Ink, but that the text is blacker than Vizplex.
Yup.

That make sPix more contrasted than Vizplez. Better than Vizplex to me.
Pearl are definitively nice, and don't have the blacker background default.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Overpriced.
List price is for tourists.
I paid about $115.00 for my Pandigital at Kohl's and did not get the best price.

If Kohl's picks it up they will probably raise the price as they did with the other readers, then give a "bigger" discount.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard

Well, The Ebook Reader website has a review of the Pandigital. For the most part, I thought it was pretty positive. The biggest complaint seems to be that the text is not dark enough. The question is, is that a result of the screen, or the firmware? Anyway here is a link to the review:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...sonal-ereader/

--
Bill
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does it have android under the hood like their color model does?

I saw another video of a sipix screen where they were explaining that they were using an antialising text rendering engine with it. It did not seem well tweeked for the display. Wonder if that is that case here as well?

Maybe also the default style sheet is not set up well for the b&w contrast if they just copied it over from the one they had tweaked already for their color device? The pictures of the main menu screen look good, hopefully they are not just mock ups? If so this could be a better choice then the old nook for those of us that want an epaper device. The street price will probably be lower. Anyone know how the battery life is supposed to compare?
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
Does it have android under the hood like their color model does?
I found a thread on the Droid Boards, and it does appear that the device has Andriod under the hood.

Quote:
I saw another video of a sipix screen where they were explaining that they were using an antialising text rendering engine with it. It did not seem well tweeked for the display. Wonder if that is that case here as well?

Maybe also the default style sheet is not set up well for the b&w contrast if they just copied it over from the one they had tweaked already for their color device? The pictures of the main menu screen look good, hopefully they are not just mock ups? If so this could be a better choice then the old nook for those of us that want an epaper device. The street price will probably be lower. Anyone know how the battery life is supposed to compare?
I am betting firmware might be a big part of the issue. Certainly I have been amazed by how different the same basic Vizplex screen could look depending on the software running on the device. It will be interesting to see the Cybook Orizen when it comes out and how it compares (Particularly since it will also support multi-touch gestures..

As for battery life, no word, but my general impression is that it will be comparable to eInk screens.

--
Bill
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I found a thread on the Droid Boards, and it does appear that the device has Andriod under the hood.
Tried to find it but had no luck. If you still happen to have the link can you pm it or post it?
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote