Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #136
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
How old is "Collapse"? Any dystopian futuristic novel that centers around the fall of the US and that doesn't mention at least China, but preferably a few other Asian countries a well, is of no interest to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Basic punctuation & other errors on the first page don't inspire me to keep reading.
That too.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #137
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Basic punctuation & other errors on the first page don't inspire me to keep reading. Authors who don't know how to punctuate dialogue need to hire editors.
Totally agree. The message from fedrich519 also sounds like spam. But at the same time it also reminds me of an idea for a book I initially attacked a while back, then abandoned for a better plotline because it was too hard to pull together effectively. As for what it covers, I think there's something there. Namely, what if the disaster in question didn't occur quickly, but rather was a slow, drawn out one? I mean, disasters don't need to be immediate to have long lasting, crippling effects on a culture or people. The general idea of a disaster is something catastrophic that destroys what used to be life as usual. Urban decay in all honesty is just as effective a destroyer as a massive earthquake. It just takes longer, and can be stretched out over several generations. But in the end the effects are the same. Just look at Detroit. That's a slow moving disaster that has taken decades to unfold.

That in itself is an interesting topic, but not as exciting as something that just pounces on you out of the blue. It's like watching a glacier bearing down on your town. It might reach you eventually, but it'll take a few years. In the meantime you can work to mitigate the consequences, or even outright stop them. The aftermath can also be less dramatic as people have time to adapt as things are unfolding, whereas a more traditional disaster leaves you with little more than a few seconds to duck and cover before things go south. But again, slow disasters aren't anywhere nearly as exciting as fast ones. Probably because it seems too much like daily life to a lot of people.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 04-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #138
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
[...] But again, slow disasters aren't anywhere nearly as exciting as fast ones. Probably because it seems too much like daily life to a lot of people.
That'd be it! ... Trying to work out which icon to attach here, should it be this: , or this: , or maybe this:
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #139
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Eh, I bet if it was a slow event people would mostly ignore it and not change their habits at all. Some would deny its happening and some would find ways to profit out of it....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #140
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The slow apocalypse has already been done by Nevil Shute (for Australia).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #141
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, here's an interesting one to toss in the mix. I was reading my news feeds today and it was brought to the forefront that there's been a big string of powerful quakes all along the ring of fire, some in the 7+ and 8+ categories, with a few even having 8+ aftershocks! Now that'd make some juicy material right there for a story for certain. On the survival side of things, imagine if a 9.5 or 9.8 earthquake happened somewhere with the shaking lasting 5+ minutes like it did in the Japan quake of March 2011. Given the level of damage it'd cause, that'd make for one seriously insane survival and recovery scenario given that with earthquakes, the line between Stage 1 and 2 is sorta blurred, as you drift back and forth between them due to all of the aftershocks. Only when they stop does Stage 2 go into full effect. lol. That'd certainly be something to ruin your day.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #142
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

http://www.mapofthedead.com/

On a small aside, here's something to play with for all you zombie apocalypse lovers, or even someone who's looking into ideas for their book related to resources. It's a Google maps powered survival guide of sorts, showing where the important stores are in each city, areas to avoid, etc. If applied to other disasters it has some possible benefits. If nothing else, it should get the creative juices flowing.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #143
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
On a small aside, here's something to play with for all you zombie apocalypse lovers, or even someone who's looking into ideas for their book related to resources. It's a Google maps powered survival guide of sorts, showing where the important stores are in each city, areas to avoid, etc.
*types in zip code*

I need to move. Before the zombie apocalypse happens.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #144
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Basic punctuation & other errors on the first page don't inspire me to keep reading. Authors who don't know how to punctuate dialogue need to hire editors.
While we're going after people who don't put commas before and after direct quotes, can we also get the ones who use block formatting instead of paragraph indents?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #145
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
While we're going after people who don't put commas before and after direct quotes, can we also get the ones who use block formatting instead of paragraph indents?
No. Lets just out law commas completely. I do not think anyone actually understands them. Of course that might get Grandpa killed...

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

But... eh... innovation can be costly.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #146
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I've learned to tolerate blocks instead of indents. Especially in non-DRM'd works, because I can easily fix that.

I'm willing to tolerate some SPAG errors, but not so many that they distract me from the story. First missed comma: meh, everyone makes a typo now & then. Second one in same situation: eep, author doesn't actually know how to punctuate quotes. Misplaced word ("I would say he his report will be positive")... aah. Apparently author couldn't be bothered to acquire a proofreader. And needs one.

Nope, my TBR list is already over-full of books that *do* follow normal English structural conventions, by authors I know I like. "Read new books" only happens when I'm convinced the experience will be somewhat enjoyable. Three basic grammar errors on the first page? For a topic I know plenty of other authors do well? Forget it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #147
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Yeah, even I've butchered sentences before and not realized it, so I think a few mistakes in a book are tolerable. Now when they're numerous, that's a whole other ball of yarn.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #148
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Wow, with all of this tornado madness going on, I think it's ripe for a little bit of localized disaster fiction, don't ya think? Or you could expand the idea out to be a worldwide tornado outbreak. Statistically impossible, but it'd still make an interesting book.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #149
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wow, with all of this tornado madness going on, I think it's ripe for a little bit of localized disaster fiction, don't ya think? Or you could expand the idea out to be a worldwide tornado outbreak. Statistically impossible, but it'd still make an interesting book.
Well even before this latest outbreak I have the opening of a story I've started in that direction...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #150
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Ok, here's one for you guys. Just to give you an idea of just how popular and prevalent this genre is right now, I was watching an episode of Transformers Prime and discovered that the main enemy was....get this....undead robots. hahahaha!