Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
siddardha
siddardha began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
The Kobo doesn't have a touch screen.
and neither does kindle.All i want to know is which one of them is better.

Thanks
siddardha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddardha View Post
Well, with an Indian address all the book cost $1.99 extra even the free one's but the workaround here is purchasing gift cards and give a U.S shipping address in the kindle account.

That is what i heard in many blogs regarding the international usage of kindle ,Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
I used a VPN program that gave me a US IP address when I lived overseas. Using it let me buy from Sony, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.

For general recommendations, especially if you can't see them first, I'd offer some considerations.

1. Screen quality. Since I have it to read it, that's the most important to me. In my opinion, the best screens on the market right now are the Pearls, currently on the Kindle 3, and Sony 350/650/950. Next are the rest of the epaper screens. LCD screens, such as are used on the Libra, are the worst. That's not to say that they are horrible, just not as good as the epaper.

2. Arrangement of the reader. By this I mean things like how easy it is to hold and turn pages and how much it weighs. If my arthritic thumbs start aching, I can't read any longer, so I want one that is light weight and has good placement for the page turn buttons. With my Sony, I can turn pages by swiping various parts of my hand and it's very light weight, so I can read without increasing pain. My PocketPro has a nice little rocker switch to turn pages that is also very nice on the thumbs. I can't read more than twenty pages with a Nook before my hands give out.

3. Ability to organize your stuff on the reader. Amazon and Barnes and Noble both seem to think that you're going to buy everything from their store and mostly leave it on their servers. I say that because they don't make it easy to organize your books on the reader. Sony supports collections while most of the rest support folders. I've heard that the Kindle 3 also supports collections, but I don't know how well. I like to have lots of choices on my reader, so only being to view them alphabetically by author or title is just not enough for me.

4. In your case, ability to work with your chosen reading language is also important. It does you no good to have a Reader if you can't read your books on it. The Sony 350/650/950 comes with about eight different translation dictionaries, but as I recall, all of the languages are European (French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc.). Of course, you also need to be able to purchase it in India.

5. Size. Do you want a really small one that will fit in your pocket or a really large one that will display PDFs in their normal size? It's worth thinking about when and where you're most likely to want to use it.

6. What comes with it. When you're looking at price, also look at what comes in the box and what you have to buy later. Some of them come with a lot of stuff, others come with nothing. My PocketPro even came with a 2GB SD card and a screwdriver to open the battery door in case I ever wanted to replace the battery. Not having to buy a case, a charger or an SD card for the PocketPro helped a lot in the price category.

If you go to https://www.mobileread.com/eink/, you can see a nice comparison matrix that will show most of the current models. Decide what's important to you, look to see which readers meet that need, and come back with more questions about anything you don't understand.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #18
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
4. In your case, ability to work with your chosen reading language is also important. It does you no good to have a Reader if you can't read your books on it. The Sony 350/650/950 comes with about eight different translation dictionaries, but as I recall, all of the languages are European (French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc.). Of course, you also need to be able to purchase it in India.
Like i said i read books only in english and i don't need other languages but i did consider all you points.Will do some research.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Just because you want to buy books in English does not mean that they will be available to you in India. Many countries are restricted on what books they can buy due to contract differences across the globe. Geo Restrictions are very real and very annoying.

There are ways around them, you can check the Kindle Forums and Nook Forums and Sony forums for directions on how to get around them, it is not that difficult, but it is an extra step.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #20
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Just because you want to buy books in English does not mean that they will be available to you in India. Many countries are restricted on what books they can buy due to contract differences across the globe. Geo Restrictions are very real and very annoying.

There are ways around them, you can check the Kindle Forums and Nook Forums and Sony forums for directions on how to get around them, it is not that difficult, but it is an extra step.
please don't get me wrong.All I was saying is that my prospective e-reader need not display any language other then English.
In case of kindle, amazon ships it to India so no problem here(but the books cost $1.99 extra with a indian shipping address) but i don't know about others.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I understand what you are saying.

Amazon ships Kindles to over 100 countries. If you look in the Kindle forum you will see topics from people in Australia complaining about geo restrictions on e-books. Not all e-books will be available in India. It does not matter what e-reader you buy, there will be restrictions that prevent you from buying some e-books from Amazon's website.

Do yourself a favor and go to the bookstores for the devices you are considering. Check and see what books they have available for sale for you in India.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #22
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would go with anything that doesn't require ADE... I have had problems with that program ever since I first downloaded it...

If you want a PRS 650 I'll soon have one for sale.

PS - Apparently it goes hand in hand with the Sony Software.

Last edited by lene1949; 11-10-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: PS
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #23
ninadb
ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ninadb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 11th Gen 6.8,Kindle PW-1,Kindle KB wifi, Ipad 10.2-wifi
Hi

siddardha

So finally which one did you buy.
I am also in the same dilemma. Infibeam pi or Kindle 3
Infibeam has also come out with pre order for pi2 a better version of the pi I suppose, with wifi and touch screen. Currently I am trying to read books on the ipod touch with Stanza but sometimes it is a strain on the eyes.

I would go for Kindle but ordering books would be expensive I think and restricted.
Strongly veering towards buying the infibeam pi2

Thanks
Ninad
ninadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadb View Post
Hi

siddardha

So finally which one did you buy.
I am also in the same dilemma. Infibeam pi or Kindle 3
Infibeam has also come out with pre order for pi2 a better version of the pi I suppose, with wifi and touch screen. Currently I am trying to read books on the ipod touch with Stanza but sometimes it is a strain on the eyes.

I would go for Kindle but ordering books would be expensive I think and restricted.
Strongly veering towards buying the infibeam pi2

Thanks
Ninad
I finally went for Kindle considering the Amazon's service reliability,the books are a bit expensive for international readers but i haven't yet bought a single book,I already have a large collection of mobi format ebooks.Go for kindle,It si an amazing device.

Cheers

Tags
e-reader, kindle3