Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Aura H2O vs. PocketBook 840 InkPad

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a nice ebook reader, and think I will pick one of the two: Kobo Aura H2O or PocketBook 840 InkPad. Seems Kobo is generally a better device, though 8" screen in PocketBook is a big asset, makes the device look closer to a real book.

Anyone had them both and can advise if it's worth to go for 8" instead of 6.8"?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are some reviews of the Inpad and it sounds like you might be better off with the H2O.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...ebook-formats/
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...etbook-inkpad/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
The H20 appears to be the better overall device, but if you can live with the software flaws of the Ink pad, it certainly has a lot to offer. Bigger screen, great one handed operation with page turn, headphone jack, nice build quality and design. If they fix these problems with an update, I would say that it would definitely be hard to say no to it. I'm tempted myself

H20 has a better screen, better software, better GUI, and better community at this stage.

I would love to have them both to compare!

Last edited by uppon2; 12-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
The H20 appears to be the better overall device, but if you can live with the software flaws of the Ink pad, it certainly has a lot to offer. Bigger screen, great one handed operation with page turn, headphone jack, nice build quality and design. If they fix these problems with an update, I would say that it would definitely be hard to say no to it. I'm tempted myself

H20 has a better screen, better software, better GUI, and better community at this stage.

I would love to have them both to compare!
Actually, a number of my complaints were fixed by a downgrade. I installed an earlier firmware and I am happier with the InkPad now.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhaj47 View Post
Hi Guys, I'm looking for a nice ebook reader, and think I will pick one of the two: Kobo Aura H2O or PocketBook 840 InkPad. Seems Kobo is generally a better device, though 8" screen in PocketBook is a big asset, makes the device look closer to a real book.

Anyone had them both and can advise if it's worth to go for 8" instead of 6.8"?
I have the Aura HD and the 840 InkPad, and If I had to choose one to buy it would be the InkPad. I'm really happy with it in ways that I wasn't happy with the Aura H2O when Kobo loaned me one.

The simplest way to compare the two devices is to say that the Aura H2O has slightly better tech specs, but the InkPad wins in the usability dept. The latter is more important to me.
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually, a number of my complaints were fixed by a downgrade. I installed an earlier firmware and I am happier with the InkPad now.
But if the InkPad come with the newest firmware, I don't think most users will think of downgrading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, downgrading shouldn't be an issue (I think). However, I read the InkPad text quality is visibly worse than the one of the Aura, at least with no backlight?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have the Aura HD and the 840 InkPad, and If I had to choose one to buy it would be the InkPad. I'm really happy with it in ways that I wasn't happy with the Aura H2O when Kobo loaned me one.

The simplest way to compare the two devices is to say that the Aura H2O has slightly better tech specs, but the InkPad wins in the usability dept. The latter is more important to me.
Your review said that the ePub viewing software on the Inkpad was very poor, Nate - eg you couldn't go back a page! Are you saying that this was a bug that was introduced in later firmware?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your review said that the ePub viewing software on the Inkpad was very poor, Nate - eg you couldn't go back a page! Are you saying that this was a bug that was introduced in later firmware?
Unfortunately, yes.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes.
That's very unfortunate. In many ways it's the reading software that's the most important part of any reading device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying but to my knowledge, isn't the only reason downgrading is beneficial is from third party reader support etc. What I was specifically talking about is the stock software and reader to be fixed in a future update for all file support (including epub)

While I am on the topic of epub, which is the best reader for them on the Inkpad and does it work perfectly?

Also, I can not find anywhere that ships to Australia, besides Amazon, and the price is a lot more!
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying but to my knowledge, isn't the only reason downgrading is beneficial is from third party reader support etc. What I was specifically talking about is the stock software and reader to be fixed in a future update for all file support (including epub)

While I am on the topic of epub, which is the best reader for them on the Inkpad and does it work perfectly?

Also, I can not find anywhere that ships to Australia, besides Amazon, and the price is a lot more!
The downgraded firmware actually offers more formatting options for the stock reading app, as well as better support for quickly switching between ebooks. And I might be imagining things but I think the text could be darker as well.

As for shipping, Pocketbook France ships to the US. Of course, this is also the site that took my money, lied to me about shipping, and then ignored me, forcing me to yell to Pocketbook corporate. So buyer beware.

boutique.pocketbook.fr/index.php?id_product=104&controller=product&id_lan g=3
Old 12-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Well, downgrading shouldn't be an issue (I think). However, I read the InkPad text quality is visibly worse than the one of the Aura, at least with no backlight?
There's a difference, but it's not a big difference. If I didn't have the devices next to each other I wouldn't be able to tell.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
Buhaj47
Zealot

Ok, thanks Nate. Is that true the PB has issues while picking the previous page, or were all the software glitches resolved with downgrade? Also, will the downgrade work on every unit and what firmware version you use?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Ok, thanks Nate. Is that true the PB has issues while picking the previous page, or were all the software glitches resolved with downgrade? Also, will the downgrade work on every unit and what firmware version you use?
The previous page glitch was resolved by the downgrade. And there are only the two firmwares for the 840, v4.4 and v5.x.

Tags
aura, comparison, kobo, pocketbook