Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-09-2023, 09:23 AM   #121
se1961
se1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thanks for your answer, which gives me hope. But I feel like a dope:

1. Make a yes/no column in Calibre? Call it "read"?
2. Sync Library to Calibre Sync
3. then sync the read status.

If that's correct, I no longer seem to have the ability to do step number three. There is box that shows the read status or sync.... There is also no edit sign next to the library path. It sounds like it works for you, so I'm hoping that you can give me the steps, as if I were a small child ��
se1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:27 PM   #122
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
You’re welcome!

Yes, the steps are correct. For step 3 I attached pics in the order of steps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	203079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2662.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	203080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	869.1 KB
ID:	203081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2661.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	203082  

Last edited by Wiggo; 08-09-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #123
se1961
se1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thank you for the pictures! Unfortunately, I didn't have those options. They were there when I first set up my library and the read/unread sync, but then they disappeared. I'm not sure if it is related to the fact that I set up the columns incorrectly in Calibre, which broken something in Calibre Sync...? I ended up deleting the app, then downloading and setting up my library again, and it seems to be working perfectly, as you said! Thank you! 🙂
se1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:46 PM   #124
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it worked.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:46 AM   #125
Jctrouss
Jctrouss began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Smile Great support from the devs

Hi everyone,

Just to say that the Calibre Sync dev team is quite responsive !

I contacted them regarding an issue with the discovery / loading of large libraries from OneDrive.

After a few mails between us, a patch solving the problem has been posted two days later on the IOS AppStore and Google Play.

Great job guys/girls !
Jctrouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 10:48 PM   #126
wglong
wglong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
As stated above, I unforturnity also don't have the option to select what columns to use when syncing the read/read date. I sync'd to my ipad and then added the columns in Calibre and then re-sync'd to my ipad but when I select the Library Info it does not show an option to select the read column for the library.

Last edited by wglong; 09-06-2023 at 10:50 PM.
wglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:54 PM   #127
wegsa
wegsa began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
You’re welcome!

Yes, the steps are correct. For step 3 I attached pics in the order of steps
I connected my ipad as a smart device, copied an ebook to it and marked the ebook as read.
then i reconnected calibre sync but in calibre the read status is not changed

the menu from the first picture does not exist or i dont find it

when i want to delete the ebook, it only deletes the cbz ebook file but book entry still exists under smart device
wegsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #128
sllewji
sllewji began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke2, 3 & 5 / OnePlus 5T / Amazon Fire HD 10
Android 11 issues

Hello CalibreSync,

I've just upgraded my ereader to a Boox Poke 5 which runs on Android 11.
Having installed and configured CalibreSync on the device I noticed a couple of issues :-

- Predefined cover location
When attempting to change this setting I am unable to see or select any folders.
The preselected folder is "/", whereas on my Poke 3 (Android 10) the preselected folder is "emulated > 0" which allows me to select my Pictures folder.

- Local refresh requires internet connection?
One of my libraries is hosted wholly in the local file system, but when I refresh I get a popup at the bottom of the screen saying "Your device is currently offline"
(When I first configured CalibreSync the device was online)

- No book covers
Whilst all the books in the local library are picked up, I have no book covers.
Checking the app permissions I can see that Media is allowed, whereas on my Poke 3 The permission is Storage.
I have duplicate libraries on OneDrive and the covers populate ok.

- Smart Device Library
I've been experimenting with a smart device library, but. Now want to remove it - can you tell me how to?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ian Wells
sllewji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #129
loftwyr
loftwyr began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I've recently changed over from calibre companion and I've got a very large calibre library on a calibre server instance (25,000 ebooks). Calibre sync is unbearably slow when doing anything with the library after it sync'd from the server. Is there some setting which will make it not try to manage all 25,000 at once?
loftwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:27 AM   #130
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftwyr View Post
I've recently changed over from calibre companion and I've got a very large calibre library on a calibre server instance (25,000 ebooks). Calibre sync is unbearably slow when doing anything with the library after it sync'd from the server. Is there some setting which will make it not try to manage all 25,000 at once?
Maybe it’s because of the server instance. I directed Calibre sync to a library copy on my NAS and I don’t notice any big delays.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:37 PM   #131
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftwyr View Post
Are you syncing covers? I have about 8K books and it was slow until all covers synced, and it took a while. Now it’s very fast.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #132
Drew
Drew began at the beginning.

Device: OPPO smartphone
CS: how to access sort order, custom fields, specify booklist & details

I just tried CS after CC stopped being able to access any e-book readers.
Copied my Calibre library (about 700 books) across WiFi to my Android phone. They appear as "Smart Device" or as "All downloaded books". Not sure how this allows access to more than one remote library (are they all called Smart Device"?). This was rather slow, but acceptable since it only needs to be done once.

My main issues (after reading several of the threads on Mobile Forum, and looking at the CalibreSync site, and experimenting for many hours) are:

(1) the FAQ site shows access to something called a filter menu, but does not say how. Does not appear on any menu or button I can see. -- the only mention is an item to "Clear filters"
(2) claims to fully support custom columns, again can't find any way to access these
(3) the sort menu claims to sort by series, but actually sorts by title, and it appears useless as it does not display the series in the book list. Also the sort option only appears when viewing "All downloaded books" rather than "Smart Device". The option to sort by custom fields is not offered.
(4) can not see any way to specify the fields to be listed in the book list
(5) or any way to do the same for the details on the more detailed book screen when selecting a book.
(6) sites mention a "Library Info" menu item, but this does not appear anywhere, despite there being a screen shot of it on a menu list on the CalibreSync blurb --- possibly you have to be using a cloud library for this to be available (?).

I can understand people who have their library on a cloud server wanting it, and I suppose CC did not support that. But given the lack of support for basic sorting and selection of books, it should be really useful only if you only have a very few books.

I'm not annoyed that it does not do what I want, only that it claims to do what I want and does not. Perhaps it only works properly for cloud based libraries, but it claims to support Wi-Fi connected libraries (ie update/sync when connected, just as CC does).

Anyone else wanting to use it only offline (no cloud based libraries?) with similar issues, if so is there a workaround?
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:02 AM   #133
Wiggo
Leftutti

I never tried Smart Device method, but after a quick look at the FAQ it looks like Smart device connects to a running Calibre via WiFi and downloads the selected books (like an eInk reader).
That’s why all your books are in the “all downloaded books” folder and you don’t see anything else if not connected - you have downloaded the books only!

So CS did nothing wrong, only as stated.

You need to select a new library via "select from device storage" and copy the Calibre library folder accordingly. I have never tried this either and don't know how CS deals with the fact that the ePubs are physically located in internal storage.

If I were you, I would try it all out with a very small test library

Edit:
According to https://calibresync.bitbucket.io/int...s/#usb-storage internal storage shouldn’t be a problem

Last edited by Wiggo; 12-05-2023 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:31 AM   #134
Drew
Drew began at the beginning.

Device: OPPO smartphone
CS using WiFi connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I never tried Smart Device method, but after a quick look at the FAQ it looks like Smart device connects to a running Calibre via WiFi and downloads the selected books (like an eInk reader).
That’s why all your books are in the “all downloaded books” folder and you don’t see anything else if not connected - you have downloaded the books only!

So CS did nothing wrong, only as stated.

You need to select a new library via "select from device storage" and copy the Calibre library folder accordingly. I have never tried this either and don't know how CS deals with the fact that the ePubs are physically located in internal storage.

If I were you, I would try it all out with a very small test library

Edit:
According to https://calibresync.bitbucket.io/int...s/#usb-storage internal storage shouldn’t be a problem
Not sure what you mean. I used CS to access the books from my main computer, exactly as the CS prompted. And of course the books were downloaded: how else can they be read offline? I don't understand why you say "downloaded the books only". That's most of the point, to access the books. And the read function works, so the books arrived intact. Just no access to any sorting, filtering, custom fields (the other metadata seems to arrive OK, author, title, id codes, publisher, covers).

Also, you say you do not know how CS handles epubs located on the mobile device... if CS itself downloaded them, surely it can be expected to know where they are, and in fact it does, since it can transfer them to an ereader app.

And I strongly disagree: when you say CS did "only as stated". It states clearly that it fully supports custom fields. To me that means it downloads all metadata including custom fields AND allows one to see it (getting access should not be an optional extra!). And it is supposed to be able to carry back read date back to calibre, just like CC did.

Being able to control the book list format and to decide the sort order (on custom fields) and access filtering is a very major concern. How can you read a book if you can't easily find it?

It sounds like you are saying that one has to have THREE copies of one's library, the original on the main computer, the copy downloaded by CS which (you say) CS refuses to fully support unless I make yet another copy?
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 03:10 PM   #135
Wiggo
Leftutti

Well Drew, what can I say?

I've just tested on the internal storage of my iPad what I suggested. Well, it works like a charm.
Without "all dowloaded books" and everything is searchable and filterable.

But you seem to know better without understanding how Calibre works, without understanding how CS works and without understanding the FAQ and instructions.

Maybe you should try again with more concentration instead of writing another sermon.

I'm out.

Tags
calibre, mobile, sync