Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
[Old Thread] Bulk ISBN Removal

Is it possible to do a bulk removal of the ISBN?

Many books I add of differing formats have ISBN's that are just made up numbers.

This then has an impact when doing a bulk metadata, social tags, covers update.

Because Calibre appears to use the ISBN as the most important factor when determining metadata like series etc.

I would like to be able to select a pile of books and just remove the ISBN?

Can anybody help with this?

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
Is it possible to do a bulk removal of the ISBN?
  1. make a backup of your library first.
  2. search for isbn:true
  3. select all books found and press "e" to bulk edit metadata
  4. use the experimental search and replace to search for regular expression .* in field isbn and replace with blank into destination field isbn.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use search and replace in the bulk metadata edit dialog with a regular expression search of .* and an empty replace box.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
This is surely an argument for the phrase "Great minds think alike" ?
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use search and replace in the bulk metadata edit dialog with a regular expression search of .* and an empty replace box.
Thankyou.

That worked seamlessly. Did about 10,000 books in 30 seconds.

Much appreciated.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
traceylb
traceylb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Help! I've used this method of removing ISBN with no problems previously but it is seems that in the last few version updates of Calibre it has stopped working for me. I select the Edit in Bulk and enter the following:

Search Field: #isbn
Search for: .*
all other fields left blank

Problem is that the Test Result shows "You must specify a destination when source is a composite field" and I get the same in an error box if I try to run the search and replace still. Is there a new way to remove ISBNs in bulk?
traceylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Did you, oh, I don't know, try to specify a destination field?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceylb View Post
Help! I've used this method of removing ISBN with no problems previously but it is seems that in the last few version updates of Calibre it has stopped working for me. I select the Edit in Bulk and enter the following:

Search Field: #isbn
Search for: .*
all other fields left blank

Problem is that the Test Result shows "You must specify a destination when source is a composite field" and I get the same in an error box if I try to run the search and replace still. Is there a new way to remove ISBNs in bulk?
Search field -> identifiers, not the custom column. The custom column just displays information. It cannot be edited there.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Oops, yeah, totally missed that. Never mind me, then.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isbn