Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
release candidate 0.2-rc4

New snapshot with lot of bugfixes and several small new features.

Please try and test. I'm especially interested in performance (there was lot of bugfixes all around since 0.2-rc3 related to memory consumption).

As usual:
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
New snapshot with lot of bugfixes and several small new features.

Please try and test. I'm especially interested in performance (there was lot of bugfixes all around since 0.2-rc3 related to memory consumption).

As usual:
I have not been using rc4 long enough to make any comments on the expected performance improvements, but I do have a question concerning rc4 on the Hanlin V3ext. In some other threads, I have seen people wanting to be able to use CoolReader so I tried to find out if CoolReader was included in the build and how to read FB2 books with it. I can see cr3 in /usr/bin and I assume that is the CoolReader 3 executable? I can also see "Always open with..." item in the file actions menu, but the only default handler choice is FBReader for FB2 files even though I thought that FB2 was one of the book formats that CoolReader could read? The Users' Guide has information on CoolReader, but I have not found information there on how to select CoolReader to read an FB2 book? Am I wrong in expecting to be able to select CoolReader to read FB2 on the Hanlin V3ext?
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Does the live version now work without changing the internal file system from fat16? I am VERY reluctant to try it once again myself!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
takahiro
takahiro began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook, Kindle DX
Thumbs up my review

Live RC4 seems to be working OK on my BeBook. ([Correction] it wasn't OK at all. See the later post.)

The internal file system is kept intact.
My internal storage is empty. Not sure if I had any files before I tried the live OI.
But I can reboot back to the original firmware. So I see no signs of harm.

The PDF reader freezes consistently if I keep flipping pages or enlarging it.
The clock setting dialog also freezes if I type in numbers ahead of response.

Other than those issues, I love the new UI design. And especially the screen rotation that has been the main reason I keep the original firmware.

Thanks big time for all your effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Does the live version now work without changing the internal file system from fat16? I am VERY reluctant to try it once again myself!

Last edited by takahiro; 11-08-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Misleading information
Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahiro View Post
Live RC4 seems to be working OK on my BeBook.

The internal file system is kept intact.
My internal storage is empty. Not sure if I had any files before I tried the live OI.
But I can reboot back to the original firmware. So I see no signs of harm.
:
Takahiro: I appreciate your attempt to answer my query (and respond to my concerns), but unfortunately I don't believe it to be sufficiently conclusive, as you admit you have no titles stored in your internal storage. So there's no way of knowing whether the internal storage remains Fat16. The BeBook firmware resides elsewhere and I believe would not in itself be affected by use of the live OI on the SD card. Many thanks, though.
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
It took a long time to boot after flashing rc4 to my hanlin v3, but after it looks as if all performance problems were solved.
Ok, it feels slightly slower when compared to 20091001 version, but that might just some leftover bias from rc3.
I'll keep this version and see how it behaves while reading

Thanks for all the work and this beatiful firmware.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
takahiro
takahiro began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook, Kindle DX
Exclamation Apparently the problem is there

Ascherjim,

You are right. I stand corrected.

It turned out I cannot access to the internal storage through USB anymore.
The windows dialog pops up that says the device is unformatted.
Whatever in the internal flash before are probably gone.

Caution! The live version is not ready to roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Takahiro: I appreciate your attempt to answer my query (and respond to my concerns), but unfortunately I don't believe it to be sufficiently conclusive, as you admit you have no titles stored in your internal storage. So there's no way of knowing whether the internal storage remains Fat16. The BeBook firmware resides elsewhere and I believe would not in itself be affected by use of the live OI on the SD card. Many thanks, though.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahiro View Post
Ascherjim,

You are right. I stand corrected.

It turned out I cannot access to the internal storage through USB anymore.
The windows dialog pops up that says the device is unformatted.
Whatever in the internal flash before are probably gone.

Caution! The live version is not ready to roll.
Thanks much for taking the further time to pursue (and clarify) this matter for me. I guess I'll just have to wait until it's all eventually straightened out, if ever.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Well so far so good for me. Seems faster loading books and locking/unlocking keyboard. Love that I can get rid of flies that I've deleted from the "recent files" list. No crashes or glitches.(haven't had one since using OI actually).

Many thanks for the good work.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

I can confirm that everything in internal storage is deleted. I had to borrow an SD card from another gadget to read anything at all. Other than that, I've found no problems.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
I can confirm that everything in internal storage is deleted. I had to borrow an SD card from another gadget to read anything at all. Other than that, I've found no problems.
You can load books directly on the new file system via SSH if you want books in the internal file system. It takes a few minutes to set up, but it was worth the trouble for me. I prefer to keep books in the internal file system to save on battery power since I never turn the reader off. Here is a link to a discussion on setting up SSH for OpenInkpot.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56939