Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
vlasee
vlasee began at the beginning.

Device: none
ADE 4 - Double-page view problem

Hi everybody,
I'm so happy to find this forum. Hope I'll find someone to help me with this issue.

I'm quite new in EPUB creation, but using InDesign for many years (decades)... After watching and reading several tutorials I manage to create pretty complex epub from InDesign CC. Lots of text styles, pictures, colors...
But at the end I notice one problem I can not solve by myself and I need your help.

In ADE 4, when I switch to Double-page view, the picture (that use to be full widht) are visible only one half. Text flows good but photo do not resize. I tried all kinds of Object Export Options setup but it doesn't work. Does anybody knows how to solve this problem? Or to disable Double-page wiev when exporting?

Please, take a look at screenshots.
Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoublePage-1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	134039   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoublePage-2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	134040  
vlasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I see this is an example. Perhaps you could post the ePub so folks and look it over to help you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
vlasee

Thanks DaleDe.

I can not publish the original file (since it is for commercial use), but here is the example:
Attached Files
File Type: epub DoublePage_test.epub (2.51 MB, 236 views)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interestingly it does not happen in Adobe 3.0 on the desktop. However widening the window to produce two columns does squeeze the image distorting it. Evidently the image proportions are not maintained. Now to study the source a bit and see what its doing. Thanks for posting this, it will take a bit of study.

Dale
Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Removing the height=100% from the CSS for the image fixed it in version ADE 3.0 and it looks perfect now. Someone else will have to try 4.0 as I don't have it loaded.

Dale
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Removing the height=100% from the CSS for the image fixed it in version ADE 3.0 and it looks perfect now. Someone else will have to try 4.0 as I don't have it loaded.

Dale
having height=100% would do it as it makes sure the image is the full height and if the width doesn't fit, off the screen it goes. ADE is like that.

Another option might be to try an SVG wrapper if this does not work in ADE 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
vlasee

Thanks a lot DaleDe and JSWolf!
It seems easier to remove height=100% from the CSS, although I have almost 50 images.
I'm not familiar with SVG wrapper, but if first option fails I'll try this one. I find thread about this but I'm not sure how it works...
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
vlasee

To conclude this...
The whole problem was because I use ADE 4.0 and the client ADE 3.0 so I couldn't figure out what is going on on their side.
I set up the chapters to began on new page, so they were wondering why, when chapter has odd number of pages, there is one page on the right to stay blank... And that's how it works...
When I installed 3.0 version, I saw that some images are stretched but I solved it in Object Export options.
Still, the issue with cut images in ADE 4.0 (the reason I started the thread) stays unsolved. It seems that ADE 4 measure both pages width and resize the graphics correspondingly. I do not know how to incorporate SVG wrapper... I need to learn more

Thanks for your help!

Hope I'll be able to contribute to this community soon
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasee View Post
To conclude this...
The whole problem was because I use ADE 4.0 and the client ADE 3.0 so I couldn't figure out what is going on on their side.
I set up the chapters to began on new page, so they were wondering why, when chapter has odd number of pages, there is one page on the right to stay blank... And that's how it works...
When I installed 3.0 version, I saw that some images are stretched but I solved it in Object Export options.
Still, the issue with cut images in ADE 4.0 (the reason I started the thread) stays unsolved. It seems that ADE 4 measure both pages width and resize the graphics correspondingly. I do not know how to incorporate SVG wrapper... I need to learn more

Thanks for your help!

Hope I'll be able to contribute to this community soon
You are still using the same conversion tools which is why you have this particular problem. I would suggest you look at our wiki for Tweak_EPUB. This is a free download and will let you look inside and change the text directly. This is a great learning tool besides being a great tool to make minor changes. Use this to open the ePub and then edit the CSS (a text file) and remove the height="100%" number or verify that it is no longer there.

Dale
Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Alternatively, use Sigil, or calibre's Edit Book, also free tools, that instead of unpacking the book and requiring you to use a text editor, incorporate their own editor, handle links automatically, and come with a multitude of other useful tools and helpers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Certainly true. Sigil and Calibre are options to edit an ePub however the learning curve is a bit longer. In the long run either or both of these should be in the bag of tricks for anyone producing eBooks.

Dale

Tags
ade, double, indesign, page, view