Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #2326
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Well, I spent my last credits on Becky Chambers' second book and preordered the third, but I kept the $10/yr plan for now. Most likely I'll be back on the 2 credit plan in six months or so, but for now I'll subsist on my backlog, the library, and KU until I run out of interesting stuff there.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #2327
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am listening to The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood, narrated by Claire Danes. It seems the right time for it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #2328
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Doesn't it just? I'm afraid I bailed on it. I find I need more escapist fiction these days.

Therefore, currently listening to Elizabeth Moon's The Oath of Gold, narrated by Jennifer Van Dyke. Highly enjoyable.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #2329
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Doesn't it just? I'm afraid I bailed on it. I find I need more escapist fiction these days.

Therefore, currently listening to Elizabeth Moon's The Oath of Gold, narrated by Jennifer Van Dyke. Highly enjoyable.
I figure if I'm in a rage already, I might as well go with it. My plan is to follow up with a new title, Christine Dalcher's Vox , in which women are allowed to speak only 100 words a day.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #2330
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’m currently listening to Audible’s version of Frankenstein read by Dan Stevens. It’s even better than I expected.

Quote:
Publisher's Summary
Audie Award Finalist, Solo Narration - Male, 2013
Audie Award Finalist, Classic, 2013
Narrator Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey) presents an uncanny performance of Mary Shelley's timeless gothic novel, an epic battle between man and monster at its greatest literary pitch. In trying to create life, the young student Victor Frankenstein unleashes forces beyond his control, setting into motion a long and tragic chain of events that brings Victor to the very brink of madness. How he tries to destroy his creation, as it destroys everything Victor loves, is a powerful story of love, friendship, scientific hubris, and horror.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #2331
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I was starting Frankenstein on Oct 1. Currently listening to True Detective by Max Allan Collins. When I'm doing the absolutely mindless task of removing seeds from a huge batch of morning glory vines, I am listening to Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. The recording is not very good, but taking the advice of someone who posted on Audible, I am using headphones and 1.25x speed and it is much improved. It's a very good story so far, but I was put off a long time due to the poor sound quality.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #2332
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Finished Earth Afire, and is now listening to Earth Awakens, the third in the series by Orson Scott Card. An okay series, but not fantastic. Card has a thing where he has to overdevelop his characters, and it just takes sooo much time to explain everything, filling his books with not needed filling. And if you've read any Ender's Game books prior to this one, you know what will happen anyway.

Also read Robert A. Heinleins Double Star in the mean time. 3/5, not his greatest work, but still as Heinlein as can be. Definitely one of my favorite scifi authors.. 8)
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #2333
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I figure if I'm in a rage already, I might as well go with it. My plan is to follow up with a new title, Christine Dalcher's Vox , in which women are allowed to speak only 100 words a day.
Quote:

I need to keep my rage under control, which is difficult these days. Finished The Oath of Gold, which had some tough moments in it, but was overall quite satisfying. OK, the ending is a bit hokey, but then she thought she was done with Paks! Nope, 20 years later, she returns to Paksenarrion and Lyonya with a whole new series/cycle based on Paks as a Paladin. The first is Oath of Fealty, and I'll be listening to it eventually, but for now I need a break from Paks and her troubles, and I'm going to try listening to the current New Leaf Book Club selection, The House on the Strand, by Daphne du Maurier, and narrated by Ron Keith if I can get it from the Library. Otherwise, not sure. I've got several loaded, just a matter of deciding which one...
Old 09-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #2334
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
...I'm going to try listening to the current New Leaf Book Club selection, The House on the Strand, by Daphne du Maurier, and narrated by Ron Keith if I can get it from the Library. Otherwise, not sure. I've got several loaded, just a matter of deciding which one...
Bummer -- there's a wait list at the library. OTOH, AudibleUK has an omnibus Full Cast recording of several Lord Peter Whimsey books, with Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter. I'm not usually a fan of full cast recordings, but these look interesting. It includes some favourites (Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night, but also one less successful one, The Nine Taylors. And I have spare credits at AudibleUK, so why not?
Old 09-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #2335
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
It includes some favourites (Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night, but also one less successful one, The Nine Taylors. And I have spare credits at AudibleUK, so why not?
Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night are my two favorite Sayers and I know I'm not alone in that. I've never liked Nine Tailors as much as some do; in fact, it's a bottom dweller for me, ahead only of Five Red Herrings.

I've started the third Flashman book, Flash for Freedom!, read by Frederick Davidson. The Flashman books are terrific fun. In fact, the credit on this is for David Case, but he's always Frederick Davidson to me. This is the 14th book read by him I've listened to this year!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #2336
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night are my two favorite Sayers and I know I'm not alone in that. I've never liked Nine Tailors as much as some do; in fact, it's a bottom dweller for me, ahead only of Five Red Herrings.

I've started the third Flashman book, Flash for Freedom!, read by Frederick Davidson. The Flashman books are terrific fun. In fact, the credit on this is for David Case, but he's always Frederick Davidson to me. This is the 14th book read by him I've listened to this year!
Five Red Herrings is my least favourite (well, except for Whose Body? which wasn't really fair, since it was the first.) I'm so-so about The Nine Taylors -- it is, in part, reprieved by learning all about carillon and bell pulling. Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night are my two favourites as well, though I'm fairly partial to the last of these, Busman's Honeymoon. (I know, not a popular opinion, but there it is. )

On Flashman, I'm sorry, not even David Case / Frederick Davidson is enough to rescue it for me. I tried, I really did, in no small part because you like them, and also because of David Case.

I've ended up starting to read / listen to In Pieces, Sally Field's memoir. (And read by her.) Still too early to have an opinion, but I'm hopeful. However, for the pool I'll need something different, since I haven't found a decent app for listening to M4Bs on the Delphin yet, and this is a library book.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #2337
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
though I'm fairly partial to the last of these, Busman's Honeymoon. (I know, not a popular opinion, but there it is. )
Of the Wimsey/Vane books, I'd put Strong Poison in second place; the other two have issues (for me). The cypher-breaking in Have His Carcase was fun. Busman's Honeymoon got a little icky for me. (And the murder method was ridiculous, which is fairly typical of Sayers at that.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #2338
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I've finished Christina Dalcher's Vox; it was disappointing because it turned into more of thriller-ish, adventure-ish story than I expected from the premise (a U.S. in which women are limited to 100 words a day; they wear bracelet counters that give them electrical shocks if they surpass the quota). Plus it had scenes of animal experimentation, and I don't, don't, don't like that. The main takeaway was that women let it happen by not being more willing to go out marching and protesting. Simplistic victim bashing, but whatever.

Anyway, I am continuing to gin up my rage with another feminist dystopian novel (why am I on a dystopian kick when I avoid this genre?), When She Woke, by Hillary Jordan. This is a riff on The Scarlet Letter, and I am liking it so far.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #2339
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished Arrow's Fall, the last of Lackey's Heralds of Valdimar series. They really did a good job with these. Hopefully, they will some more of her Valdimar books as well as some of her other books.

Next up is Monster Hunters International : Siege. This is just a fun series read by one of my favorite narrators. I've read the book in ebook format and it feels more like a bridge book, i.e. Correia is setting the stage for the next several Monster Hunters books, but still it was a very readable book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #2340
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

After When She Woke, which went downhill but was still decent, I stayed with the feminist theme and listened to Red Clocks by Leni Zumas. Red Clocks was everything I hate in so-called literary fiction: pretentious poppycock dressed up in fancy prose and icky imagery.

The four POV characters are referred to by labels--the biographer, the mender, the daughter, the wife--in their respective chapters (but by names in the other chapters), which is pointlessly annoying. They're all intertwined in a near-future world in which the U.S. has adopted a "personhood" amendment, conferring full legal rights on the unborn. Interesting concept to explore, but horribly executed.

It's only my stubborn streak about finishing a book that got me through this one. I HATED it.

I had planned to listen to The Power by Naomi Alderman next, but I'm rethinking that, since the same reviews that praised Red Clocks praised The Power, and I don't think I can face any more literary claptrap.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations