Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
PippoPeppe
PippoPeppe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Backlit eink reader recommendation

Hi everyone,

I'm new to ebook readers and I would like to buy one.

Don't mind too much about the price (maybe not over £200...)

Would be nice to have the following:
Sidelight (or however it's called)
Change page button (I think touch may be not the best)
Touchscreen with word definition (possibly with multiple languages)
And, of course, e-ink display

And, being new, whatever else you would suggest a good reader should have.

I am more likely going to use pdfs/ebooks from the internet, but of course I don't want to be stuck not finding a certain papers/books so if you think having a virtual market store is necessary I will buy something that has it. No need for wifi or immense storage, one book is few KB and changing the content once a week plugging it into a PC is not such an effort.

Can you please recommend a reader and maybe from your experience some NEED TO HAVE features?

Thank you.

Last edited by PippoPeppe; 09-23-2018 at 04:14 PM.
PippoPeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
E ink readers cannot use backlighting.
Light cannot shine through the e ink layer.
You need to reformulate your requirements
Maybe you don't really mean backlight or maybe you don't actually want e ink.?
Anyway, you cannot have both
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
E-ink readers can be lighted, but they use front lights. This is probably what you meant.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
PippoPeppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
E ink readers cannot use backlighting.
Light cannot shine through the e ink layer.
You need to reformulate your requirements
Maybe you don't really mean backlight or maybe you don't actually want e ink.?
Anyway, you cannot have both
I know, I meant "side" light
Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I knew what you meant by "backlight," sometimes folks get hung up on technicalities here.

The Kindle Voyage (if they're still available in, I guess, England -- since you used the "£" for currency) and the Kindle Oasis are the only two with page turn lights in the more common eReaders. I don't think the Nook Glowlight 3 is available in England (and a lot of people have complained about its firmware, though they like the hardware). Kobo doesn't make a modern eReader with page turn keys.

So, if you're more interested in ePub (rather than Amazon's AZW3 format) you'll probably have to look at something like the Pocketbook or inkBook readers. I think all of Pocketbook's readers have buttons.

https://www.pocketbook-int.com/int

I think all inkBook readers also have buttons (but these are not as established as the Pocketbook readers).

https://www.inkbook.eu

I think most (if not all) Onyx Boox readers have buttons as well.

https://onyxboox.com/product#lineup-13

I think all these are based on Android.

There are others who know a lot more about this than me, they'll probably show after the weekend is over.

Good luck.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Sadly, you will be lucky to find a Kindle Voyage in the UK, save for secondhand on ebay.

The Pocketbook Touch HD 2 is easily sourced in the UK and pretty well satisfies most of your wishes, though I would not recommend any e-ink reader for pdfs. For epubs, the Pocketbook is a very good reader, even though the in-built reader app is a little basic. Installing the Coolreader fork app (see on this site in the Pocketbook section) improves things significantly, in my opinion.

As an owner also of an Android based eink reader (The Energy Sistem HD Pro) I would not recommend an Android eink reader. I managed to get mine to produce a pretty decent performance but not without quite a bit of messing. Whilst using the Android OS gives access to a whole range of ereader apps (although some readers do not come with the Play Store installed or easily installable), my experience is that a lot of those apps do not work well with eink (they are invariably built for an LED screen) - animations causing issues, page ghosting because of a lack of integration with page refresh and even loss of integration with the page turn buttons. From what I have read to date it seems even the newer Android 6 based readers seem to share some of these same issues.

If the presence of page turn buttons is not a "must-have" then Kobo and Kindle are obvious, safe and excellent choices which work really well straight out of the box.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
It's not like there's a shortage of sites that evaluate various e-readers and give an opinion.

What's best depends on what you want. Apparently, some people who buy e-readers only read once a month and their concern is battery life while idle. Some people like to read while floating in a pool and they're concerned about waterproofing. For some, they want mechanical buttons on their devices. I've never figured out why.

Some want an e-reader to read textbooks. That's not a good idea.

In the interest of full disclosure, I read every day. I'm older than most trees and don't work any more than I have to. I ordered a Kindle Oasis 2 and returned it two days later. Reason: wouldn't fit in my pocket, no acceptable cover, price. I bought a Voyage and tried to like it despite the buttons. I ended up giving it to a friend who reads. Reason: Main reason was the silly Origami Cover was ridiculous and I couldn't find a cover that worked for me. Now I have Paperwhites. I actually have three. I bought two and one was a gift. I rotate them.

Here are some reviews.

https://bestreviews.com/best-e-readers
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/294182...-ebook-readers
https://www.hookedtobooks.com/best-ebook-readers/
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-e-...view-2766.html
https://www.lifewire.com/the-best-ereaders-4046778

A major part of my decision when I started using an e-reader was which e-reader was the best source for books I want to read that are reasonably priced. I got a Kindle.

Last edited by patrickt; 09-24-2018 at 06:30 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
PippoPeppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Kindle Voyage (if they're still available in, I guess, England -- since you used the "£" for currency) and the Kindle Oasis are the only two with page turn lights in the more common eReaders.
Yes, UK. Button is not a MUST, but I was wondering whether people found it more comfortable. If it doesn't make such a big difference, then I am happy to sacrifice it to avoid spending a fortune on the priciest reader only for that.

Quote:
I don't think the Nook Glowlight 3 is available in England (and a lot of people have complained about its firmware, though they like the hardware). Kobo doesn't make a modern eReader with page turn keys.
I was actually looking at the Kobo Aura Edition 2, seems like it has decent reviews and all the basic functions (including front light).

Quote:
have to look at something like the Pocketbook or inkBook readers. I think all of Pocketbook's readers have buttons.
Thank you, I'll look at those you linked, too.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
PippoPeppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Apparently, some people who buy e-readers only read once a month and their concern is battery life while idle. Some people like to read while floating in a pool and they're concerned about waterproofing. For some, they want mechanical buttons on their devices. I've never figured out why.
None of that applies to me, no need for waterproofing, battery life is eternal with e-ink displays (and even if it lasted 2 days that would be acceptable!) and, as mentioned before, I prefer mechanical buttons, but not too fussed about it, I can do without if it is pushing the price up and not adding any big value.

Quote:
In the interest of full disclosure, I read every day. I'm older than most trees and don't work any more than I have to. I ordered a Kindle Oasis 2 and returned it two days later. Reason: wouldn't fit in my pocket, no acceptable cover, price. I bought a Voyage and tried to like it despite the buttons. I ended up giving it to a friend who reads. Reason: Main reason was the silly Origami Cover was ridiculous and I couldn't find a cover that worked for me. Now I have Paperwhites. I actually have three. I bought two and one was a gift. I rotate them.
Thanks for all the information, I will also have a look at the links.

Not a big fan of Amazon in general (also, I heard they charge you extra to have the device without ads which sounds awful!)

Would also be nice to have dictionary for words, but my understanding is that almost ALL the devices do. Maybe translator would be nice too, but not a must have.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
For some, they want mechanical buttons on their devices. I've never figured out why.
For me, it's because I want to easily turn the page forward no matter my position. For example, a Kindle Paperwhite only allows me to turn the page by tapping the right side of the screen. If I'm holding it with my left hand, I have to reach across, which is inconvenient. The Kobos have a similar problem. I want to be able to easily turn the page forward with minimum effort no matter my hand position. A solution is buttons on either side like the Voyage.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippoPeppe View Post
Not a big fan of Amazon in general (also, I heard they charge you extra to have the device without ads which sounds awful!)
That is correct. You have to add $15-20 to a Kindle to reflect the full price of the device.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
For me, it's because I want to easily turn the page forward no matter my position. For example, a Kindle Paperwhite only allows me to turn the page by tapping the right side of the screen. If I'm holding it with my left hand, I have to reach across, which is inconvenient. The Kobos have a similar problem. I want to be able to easily turn the page forward with minimum effort no matter my hand position. A solution is buttons on either side like the Voyage.
The area to turn the page forward on a Paperwhite is only ½ inch in from the left edge. You don't have to "reach across" the entire screen. I've got small hands and never had trouble turning the page with my left hand when I used a Paperwhite. My thumb reached it easily.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The area to turn the page forward on a Paperwhite is only ½ inch in from the left edge. You don't have to "reach across" the entire screen. I've got small hands and never had trouble turning the page with my left hand when I used a Paperwhite. My thumb reached it easily.
For me the buttons are a must and their placement isn't important. They don't have to be especially comfortable. I need them because I can't stand even the slightest smudges on the screen. I also love to eat fruit, chocolate etc. while I read. That means the screen would be dirty in a matter of minutes (I switch hands quite often).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@PippoPeppe

To be honest, for the extra 10 quid I would definitely choose the Clara HD rather than the Aura - a better screen, more memory and lighter.

Having owned ereaders with and without buttons, I do like the option of physical buttons (it is why I use a Pocketbook) but if I was to buy an ereader at this moment I think the Clara HD would probably get my vote as currently overall best value.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #15
PippoPeppe

Thank you all for the feedback

I think I saw the Clara HD (EDIT: oh, right, now I'm not sure if it was that or the Aura H20) in a shop today and it was quite good. I am actually thinking about taking that one.

I also received a payrise today so I feel more generous (it's a gift) so I am also happy to get to £200 if you think a more expensive model is worth the price difference.

Tags
backlight, eink, recommendation, touch