Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Question Page turn buttons + Screen larger than 6"?

Is there a device with some of the following features that has either been released or slated for release in the near future?

Crucial:
  • Screen larger than 6" but no larger than 10.3"
  • Page turn buttons. Edit: wait. If you actually know a >6" reader without buttons that you think is great, please let me know as well.
  • Resolution that makes PDFs at least somewhat readable (doesn't have to be good or comfortable, just feasible)

Optional but nice to have:
  • Play Store or at least some way to root and/or install useful reading or bookmarking apps (AlReader, Pocket for example) Or if not Android, decent software that makes installing apps redundant.
  • A decent standard of build quality
  • Stylus support
  • Some form of web browser (doesn't have to be comfortable to use)

Last edited by JawadLeLogeur; 09-18-2018 at 09:43 AM.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
pretty much any android tablet can do that, using a reader app that lets you configure the device's volume +- buttons as page turn buttons ( e.g. moon+ reader pro)

ticks every listed box, including your optional ones.

So this is where you say no, I am only interested in black and white only e-ink only......
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

hahahaha yes. I assumed the e-ink thing would be implied. I'm aware that tablets are better for PDFs in almost every way but I can't read for too long on anything other than e-ink after trying several times.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kindle Oasis 2017. A 7'' screen and buttons. The resolution is 300 ppi. No stylus included, but you can use any ordinary touch pen with it. You cannot install apps, but imho it has pretty good software which works well with sideloaded books too. You can install custom fonts and even custom font sizes.

It has a web browser which is not good, but will do in a pinch.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
hahahaha yes. I assumed the e-ink thing would be implied. I'm aware that tablets are better for PDFs in almost every way but I can't read for too long on anything other than e-ink after trying several times.
you do know that with modern tablets you can have all sorts of blue light filters, " reading modes" that reduce flicker....

try something with an AMOLED screen before you dismiss the idea completely
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Pocketbook Inkpad 3 fulfills your first set of requirements. It has a 7,8" screen with a 300 dpi resolution and a good built-in PDF reader. You can also install Coolreader and Koreader for more functionalities.
It has a web browser, you can sync with Dropbox and you can send documents to it via email.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
you do know that with modern tablets you can have all sorts of blue light filters, " reading modes" that reduce flicker....

try something with an AMOLED screen before you dismiss the idea completely
I've tried AMOLED screen on laptops, and light filters. It just isn't the same. I understand that they are fine for most people though.

The Pocketbook and Kindle suggestions look great!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
I have an Inkpad 3 and I think I will resell it. The typeface is a dark grey instead of a black.
This picture is from a blog. It shows the InkBook Prime on the left, the Inkpad 3 in the middle and the on Kindle 4 on the right with some black testing image:
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
I have an Inkpad 3 and I think I will resell it. The typeface is a dark grey instead of a black.
This picture is from a blog. It shows the InkBook Prime on the left, the Inkpad 3 in the middle and the on Kindle 4 on the right with some black testing image:
The InkBook Prime appears to have a pretty good screen. And the old Kindle holds up well, too.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote