Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
Mind attaching the images? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be nice if the mdoerators would do that, but no. They would rather be inhibitive than helpful.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
But yeah, this has always been possible, only now (9.3 and onwards) you will be able to upload books into iCloud and will not have to use iTunes (ick) anymore...
Sorry to belabor the point, but can someone please provide a link to evidence that the beta has this iCloud feature? It is not mentioned on Apple's own description of forthcoming iOS 9.3 features:

http://www.apple.com/ios/preview/

Maybe I am bad at googling but I cannot find this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It would be nice if the mdoerators would do that, but no. They would rather be inhibitive than helpful.
I did suggest that moderators moved oversized images as attachments as in most cases, removing them makes the message and/or thread useless. A good example is someone asking what's wrong with his/her Reader. Someone asks to see a screen shot and it's posted and then taken down for being too large before we can see it to tell the person if it's broken screen or not.

Another thing, given that most people have broadband, I do think the image size limit is a bit on the small side.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-15-2016 at 01:35 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #20
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
What I like the most about this document is how Apple actually assumes that anyone seriously uses iBooks for PDFs
In my experience, plenty of people do.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I did suggest that moderators moved oversized images as attachments as in most cases, removing them makes the message and/or thread useless. A good example is someone asking what's wrong with his/her Reader. Someone asks to see a screen shot and it's posted and then taken down for being too large before we can see it to tell the person if it's broken screen or not.

Another thing, given that most people have broadband, I do think the image size limit is a bit on the small side.
I may be mistaken, but I believe the image size limit is less about file size and more about the actual size of the image. If an image is too large, it distorts the size of all posts after it and forces horizontal scrolling, which is extremely annoying.

I have seen some forums that will automatically resize images that are too large, but I'm not sure how hard that is to implement.

Given that it's much easier to just attach the image than it is to find a place to host it and then insert the link to it, I'm not sure why people continue do that instead of just attaching it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #22
JQW
JQW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
iCloud support appears to be broken at the moment. Although I managed to upload a an EPUB file from one device running the 9.3 public beta, the other device running the same was unable to see it. I presume the server side of things has yet to be enabled.
JQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQW View Post
iCloud support appears to be broken at the moment. Although I managed to upload a an EPUB file from one device running the 9.3 public beta, the other device running the same was unable to see it. I presume the server side of things has yet to be enabled.
I can't get it to work at all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
NillaGoon
NillaGoon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
It's actually working almost correctly for me. iBooks on the OS X beta uploaded its whole inventory to iCloud automatically (once I enabled iCloud for iBooks), and my mobile devices see all the iCloud books.

The only thing that's not working for me is clicking on a book cover on iPad to actually download the book. The book highlights as if it's going to start downloading, but nothing happens past that point. On the other hand, it seems to work perfectly on iPhone.

For those interested in trying this out: If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to be on the OS X beta as well, but it's probably a good idea. Assuming that you've been syncing to mobile devices from OS X iBooks in the past, it's probably best to start by running iBooks on OS X, enabling iCloud for iBooks there, and letting it finish creating the iCloud book repository before trying it on mobile. You can run the top command in a Terminal window to see the upload activity - iBooks itself doesn't give any indication that this process is going on.

For me, the main benefit of iCloud syncing is that you can see and manage all your books on iPad without having them take up storage space. Just download the ones you're actively reading.

By default, iOS iBooks will leave any downloaded books on the device. To reclaim the space, you have to do a Select All and then Delete -> This Copy. That will leave you with books that have a cloud icon superimposed that don't consume any actual space. (But keep in mind, the downloads aren't working for me on iPad, so YMMV.)

Another thing I've discovered is that you can continue to use iTunes to sync books. You don't have to choose between iTunes and iCloud. Syncing through iTunes has the same effect as downloading through iCloud, so it's my workaround for still being able to use iBooks on iPad while problems get worked on.
NillaGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #25
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Is this only for books purchased from Apple or non DRMed EPUBS you have in your iTunes library?

I am hoping that I can upload my non apple books to the cloud as well.

UPDATE: I was able to upload a non DRMed EPUB book to my icloud BUT unable to download to connected device.

Last edited by zebradude; 01-16-2016 at 10:59 PM.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It will be interesting to see what the final version looks like and how it works.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #27
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
iBooks for iCloud appears in iOS 9.3 Beta

Quote:

It wasn't my image, so I linked to it. I'll post a link to the tweet, so if this violates posting guidelines people can at least see the original that way.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
I happen to have two Macs on OS X El CAPITAN (10.11.4) and iCloud works between the 2 macs so far!

I OS 9.3 BETA no luck!

hmmm...
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm about as interested in this, as I was for the music things and photo things. All I see is that its a way for Apple to make you realise you need more storage. And buy it from them. Nope.
The photos part of iCloud is great. I'm a keen photographer, and have all my pictures in iCloud, so they automatically appear on my iPhone and iPad. You can store an awful lot of photos in the 20GB (or whatever it is) of free storage that Apple give you. Way better than uploading photos to individual devices (although I do, of course, have them backed up on multiple local drives, too!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #30
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The photos part of iCloud is great. I'm a keen photographer, and have all my pictures in iCloud, so they automatically appear on my iPhone and iPad. You can store an awful lot of photos in the 20GB (or whatever it is) of free storage that Apple give you.
5GB. Which isn't a lot by todays standards.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote