Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
no you are just making me said

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
Im thinking that we will not see any update until march
this is me -
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #47
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have started to think that usability improvements are much more important than battery problems. everyday my hands accidentally trigger navigation buttons, I find myself cursing at the navigation between writing functionality and zoom, bookmarks etc..
usability is way behind what it can be, and there is no walkaround for it. Battery life can be improved by some of the methods discussed before, like portable power sources etc, but there is no cure for frequently encountered usability issues.
If these are implemented, I can be very happy with an update that does not have standby, apm etc.

Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #48
fxn
fxn began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
I have started to think that usability improvements are much more important than battery problems. everyday my hands accidentally trigger navigation buttons, I find myself cursing at the navigation between writing functionality and zoom, bookmarks etc..
I solve that locking. After some experimentation my configuration locks the sensors on both sides, and leave active the ones in the bottom. That way I can hold the device with my hands in a very natural way.

I think they are going to let you configure a custom bar in the menu. If I can move "full screen" and "write" at a top-level place that would be an improvement.

Also I'd like to be able to do more than one thing in the menu. My usage pattern is: full screen + lock, which currently needs too much tapping (and it gets worse because full screen belongs to a submenu).
fxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #49
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
FYI, latest update from iRex is that they are targeting the end of January for a release.

It's a rather large/complex firmware update that effects some of the core of the system, so they wanted to do some extra testing to make sure everything is ready. They're doing a second beta test and most of it looks good, but they found some issues that they would like to get sorted before making the official release.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #50
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
good news indeed. if they fix battery and pdf issues, i will certainly say three cheers for irex!
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #51
sarikan
Zealot

Well, if January does not have a couple of hidden day that I'm not aware of, can we expect it within next week? (fingers crossed)

Kind Regards
Seref
Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #52
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Now finally some news!

1.5 shall come on 2th Feb.!!

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3065

iRex is back

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #53
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Now finally some news!

1.5 shall come on 2th Feb.!!

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3065

iRex is back

Gogolo

Yes!!! Configurable Toolbar! ... I can hardly wait.

1. Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if not activity for x minutes and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity)
2. Configurable Toolbar (drag and drop) per application with 8 action icons
3. Lock sensors with click on lock

and more....
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #54
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
ooooh yes baby, thats more than a simple APM, I love it
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #55
sarikan
Zealot

very nice news indeed. let's see what happens!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #56
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Yes!!! Configurable Toolbar! ... I can hardly wait.

1. Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if not activity for x minutes and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity)
2. Configurable Toolbar (drag and drop) per application with 8 action icons
3. Lock sensors with click on lock

and more....
configurable toolbar and power management sound very very sweet,should bring interface to a whole new level.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #57
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but just wanted to point out as a reminder, the statement above from them describing how the APM will work has a typo in it (as confirmed by one of their developers). It is supposed to say:

Quote:
1. Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if not activity for x seconds and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity)
That obviously makes a big difference as to how often it sill suspend, and how much the battery life will be extended. My understanding is that there will be several values that you can select from: 15 seconds, 30 seconds... (but I'm not positive about the exact numbers), and also a config file where you can specify any number you want.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #58
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That obviously makes a big difference as to how often it sill suspend, and how much the battery life will be extended. My understanding is that there will be several values that you can select from: 15 seconds, 30 seconds... (but I'm not positive about the exact numbers), and also a config file where you can specify any number you want.
Just curious. My DR lasts between 4 and 5 hours give or take. Let's say I turn it on and walk away from it, so that it is on long enough to boot up, display the initial directory and then after x seconds goes into suspend.

Any ideas how long it would stay in this state until the battery was worn down? At the moment that would be between 4 and 5 hours. Would it now be between 8 and 10?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard

I would have to go back and look at iRex's numbers. But I believe they have said that it will last up to 24 hours in suspend mode (theoretically, based on a full battery charge and the mA that it draws while suspended).

You'll only see that if you leave it in suspend mode and are not using it (turn it on and walk away). Otherwise it'll be somewhere in between the current battery life and 24 hours, depending on what percentage of the time it is suspended during your normal usage. For example, if your suspend is set to 5 seconds and you are continuously turning the page every 2 - 3 seconds, then it'll never go into suspend mode and you'll get the same battery life you do now. However, if you turn the page every 60 seconds, then it'll spend most of that time suspended, and it should dramatically improve the battery life.

How well it works in real life is yet to be seen, but a lot of it will depend on what setting you're using for how quickly to suspend, and what your usage pattern is like.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #60
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
What worries me a bit, that it shall take 2 sec to wake up. So if you set it to sleep between page turns, a page turn will take a bit too long for me.
But we will see.

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote