Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Is there an e-ink android reader with:

A/ Near kindle paperwhite quality front lit screen

B/ audio capability and built in speaker (or Bluetooth).

C/ 8" screen or smaller

D/ known to work with Ivona TTS, or at least, not known to not work with Ivona.

I'm going to use it for epub and Mobi, RSS, light web surfing, and to use TTS when my eyes are tired.

I have a spend-it-or-lose-it budget to buy this device, so I don't care how much it cost -- as long as it's not over $500

Thanks
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might want to post in Which one should I buy?, read some of the other threads there on similar questions, and look in Android Devices
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry I meant to post this in Android devices. I screwed up somehow. Moderator please move thread. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
A/ Near kindle paperwhite quality front lit screen

B/ audio capability and built in speaker (or Bluetooth).

C/ 8" screen or smaller

D/ known to work with Ivona TTS, or at least, not known to not work with Ivona.

I'm going to use it for epub and Mobi, RSS, light web surfing, and to use TTS when my eyes are tired.

I have a spend-it-or-lose-it budget to buy this device, so I don't care how much it cost -- as long as it's not over $500

Thanks

There's this:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/1...x-boox-darwin/

And this:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...een-costs-118/

Several regional vendors (Icarus, for use) sell rebadged versions of the Boyue.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If you've got money to burn you night consider the big 9.7" Onyx. Or buy two 6" readers.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Barty
doofus

9.7 is too big I already have a Samsung tab s for tablet duty.

The onyx Darwin has no audio so that's out.

Does anybody know if ivona tts can be installed on the t62+ and be available to all apps that support tts?
Old 11-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would not expect TTS to work in any app that did not natively support it. So, if the device does not currently support TTS, I don't think it could be added on. I've never heard of Ivona being available as an app, anyway.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 11-28-2015 at 05:13 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I would not expect TTS to work in any app that did not natively support it. So, if the device does not currently support TRS, I don't think it could be added on. I've never heard of Ivona being available as an app, anyway.
TTS is supported on the eReader itself so the question is fair. Unfortunately I do not know the answer. Many Boox readers do support Ivona.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Deleted.

Last edited by Rizla; 11-28-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #10
Barty
doofus

Ivona is available on the play store. You can add it as a TTS engine like you can add a third party keyboard. So as long as an app supports the Google tts framework, it should work.