Notices

Old 08-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #196
evianluw
Enthusiast
evianluw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
maybe if everyone who thinks bookerly is too light sends amazon an email they may listen
Then everyone better tell amazon that we want to add fonts as we like, and nobody would complain about the font ever again.
evianluw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #197
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't have a lot of issues with bookerly on my Voyage. The "color" of it is the same as caecilia, which is what I used before. Its a tad less bold than that one I think. Hard to tell, might just be because of the different shape of the letters.

I would not be able to read a book on helvetica at all. I remember when they changed the kindle format I think to AZW3? back when. There were so many books that were wrongly formatted and they were stuck on helvetica, I could not change the font. I think the publisher embedded and it defaulted to helvetica. I returned and complained about several books like that. Just cannot read on that font. I think I must have the serif thingies.

But changing to it to check the "color" is the same on my Voyage as the bookerly, just that the letters are straight lines so appear more full, or whatever the proper term for that stuff is. Helvetica and caecilia look almost exactly the same to me as far as boldness. Not in look of course.

I have been reading on bookerly since they put it on, but I can also read on caecilia fine. But somehow with bookerly my eyes glide more comfortable for some reason. I seem to read longer and easier. Suppose that could be the books I am reading. Bookerly just makes the page overall look nicer and more pleasant to read. But its not that caecilia is not pleasant. I have been reading with that font since 2008 after all on my kindles.

Remember the K1? It had one font. I read like a monster on that thing for 2 years.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #198
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is it possible to copy off the eInk version of Bookerly for use on a different Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #199
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
maybe if everyone who thinks bookerly is too light sends amazon an email they may listen
That would still only be a very small subset of everybody. Majority will not care one way or the other - they either really like Bookerly or if they don't like it then they already have a font they like before the update.

There is a good reason Amazon put that notification up after the update when you open the first book: "here look, we made a new font, try it out, you may like it" They know not everybody will like it, but what they do know is that a great number of people like it just the way it is.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #200
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is it possible to copy off the eInk version of Bookerly for use on a different Kindle?
if you have a jailbroken kindle, sure.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #201
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't know if this is the same as the eink font, but this may help

Link to copyrighted material deleted

Last edited by HarryT; 08-17-2015 at 02:45 AM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #202
wildfire070
wildfire070 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Scribe, Paperwhite // Boox Palma
The new update hasn't been pushed to my Voyage yet so I was going to try and do a manual update. Anybody have any tips on how to do this on a mac? I have the update file downloaded and the Voyage plugged into my mac via usb, but its not showing up for me to transfer the file over to it.

Edit: Nevermind. I used a random usb cord I had laying around instead of the one that came with the kindle. Once I used the right cord it showed up in usb drive mode.

Last edited by wildfire070; 08-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.
wildfire070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:47 AM   #203
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
For those on 300ppi devices and find Bookerly too light, they should switch to the 212ppi devices. I find Bookerly looks a bit bolder on the older Paperwhites.

BTW the Caecilia seems to have became thinner on 212ppi devices with the update.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #204
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do not post links to copyrighted material. This is your one and only warning. Do it again and you will be permanently banned from MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:02 AM   #205
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
@JSWolf
You don't need a jailbroken Kindle, not even any Kindle at all, to get your hands on all the fonts. They are part of the latest firmware updates, which you can download from amazon. The update packages can be "unpacked" and files can be "extracted" (look for a second img-file inside the large Linux img) - this is also true for the Bookerly font files. The tools necessary you will find in the Dev's Corner. Good luck!
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #206
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do not post links to copyrighted material. This is your one and only warning. Do it again and you will be permanently banned from MR.
One and only warning. A link to a magazine article will result in permanent banning? Magazine articles are copyrighted, aren't they? Aren't article on GoodEReader copyrighted?

I am not a copyright attorney but I also would not like to get banned from this site, permanently, for posting a link to an article. Perhaps you could clarify your statement a bit. When I post a quote from an article I always post a link to the article.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
One and only warning. A link to a magazine article will result in permanent banning? Magazine articles are copyrighted, aren't they? Aren't article on GoodEReader copyrighted?

I am not a copyright attorney but I also would not like to get banned from this site, permanently, for posting a link to an article. Perhaps you could clarify your statement a bit. When I post a quote from an article I always post a link to the article.
It was not a link to a magazine article. It was a link to a pirated and copyrighted Bookerly font. We have repeatedly told people that it is not OK to copy fonts; they are copyrighted, just like books are, and you can't just arbitrarily copy and download them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #208
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
I found one immediately: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I reported it as a help case to Amazon.

Everyone should do this so they are aware of the issue.
How you did it? I also want report about book "Duty: memories of a secretary at war"
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #209
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was not a link to a magazine article. It was a link to a pirated and copyrighted Bookerly font. We have repeatedly told people that it is not OK to copy fonts; they are copyrighted, just like books are, and you can't just arbitrarily copy and download them.
Thank you.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #210
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa View Post
For those on 300ppi devices and find Bookerly too light, they should switch to the 212ppi devices. I find Bookerly looks a bit bolder on the older Paperwhites.

BTW the Caecilia seems to have became thinner on 212ppi devices with the update.
My basic kindle is 167ppi and Bookerly is still far too light for my taste. A pity, because it's a really nice font. Caecilia is much bolder, but I've never managed to read comfortably with Caecilia for some unknown reason. So it's back to Helvetica.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote