Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Voyage Software Update 5.6.1.0.3 Now Available

Kindle Voyage software update 5.6.1.0.3 in now available from Amazon at http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware..._5.6.1.0.3.bin .

The update contains "general improvements and bug fixes".
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
jpelgrom
jpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of lightjpelgrom is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle (7th Gen.), Kobo Touch
And similarly update 5.6.1.0.4 is available for the latest basic Kindle (7th Generation) and Paperwhite 2.
jpelgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Anyone figured out what is different?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Apparently mine updated sometimes in the last 1 or 2 days. Going by the last time I checked the version. So far I haven't noticed any difference in usage.
That is a good thing for me considering how a update messed up my PW1 back when. I liked my Voyage just fine the way it was, so I didn't want anything to mess with a good thing.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
I'm guessing mine has updated as a revised User Guide appeared in my book list.

Still no Good Reads integration for the UK
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I woke up this morning, and mine has updated to 5.6.1.0.5. I don't notice anything different, but I haven't really looked. The only reason I noticed was because it was on the home screen when I opened it, rather than inside the book.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Two software updates in less than a week? And again the description is just "general improvements and bug fixes."

5.6.1.0.5 for KV available for download at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201630670
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Two software updates in less than a week? And again the description is just "general improvements and bug fixes."

5.6.1.0.5 for KV available for download at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201630670
I rather have more small updates more frequently than big updates very seldom. The .5 does sound like the .3 gone awry, though.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Curiouser and curiouser...

5.6.1.0.6 now.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Curiouser and curiouser...

5.6.1.0.6 now.
That one is not for the Voyage, but for PW 2nd gen. Makes sense that they seperate the FW version for different readers - this way they don't have to include all code that is device specific (pagepress or lightsensor for example) into the PW code.

5.6.1.0.3 - Voyage
5.6.1.0.5 - Voyage
5.6.1.0.6 - PW2
Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Anyone figured out what is different?
On the pw2 (5.6.1.0.6) the "About this Book" menu entry was added. It works offline and by default (this can be disabled) is shown whenever you open a book for the first time.

cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
On the pw2 (5.6.1.0.6) the "About this Book" menu entry was added. It works offline and by default (this can be disabled) is shown whenever you open a book for the first time.

cu Andreas
Ah, thank you. It is the same on the Voyage with about this book. I didn't notice it wasn't there before, so I thought it is something different in Voyage rather than the update.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsicole View Post
I'm guessing mine has updated as a revised User Guide appeared in my book list.

Still no Good Reads integration for the UK
I really can't believe that they haven't rolled that out yet, regardless of how many might use it or not, it is something that is completely under their control and not something where they would have to deal with a 3rd party to get permission for it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post

cu Andreas
Fascinating -- what does it show? The same info as the Book Description in the Kindle Store, but cached? Or, it sounds more like a view of the embedded metadata.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Fascinating -- what does it show? The same info as the Book Description in the Kindle Store, but cached? Or, it sounds more like a view of the embedded metadata.
It's not either of those. It also varies depending on the book but for a couple of books I bought from Amazon and had delivered directly to the Kindle, the About This Book menu shows:

See in store - Book description, ratings, reviews and... (you need wifi on and it takes you directly to the book in the Amazon store for more detail)

Typical time to read - in hours & minutes plus how many pages the book has

About the series - series no. & lists the previous book in the series (pressing on the link takes you to the book in the Amazon store)

About the author - One paragraph about the author, and lists other books by author with the option to press for more (wifi only needed when you select a particular book)

Popular highlights - how many passages have been highlighted and how often

Mentioned in this book - other book titles mentioned with links to them on Amazon

For books bought from Amazon but sideloaded, you must have wifi on and it just takes you directly to the book in the Amazon store. For books sideloaded using Calibre, it just takes you to the front page of the store (I presume because the id of the book has been changed by Calibre).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-01-2015 at 06:48 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote