Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
garyyoung
garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW1
P.G. Wodehouse not recognized as being English

I bought P.G. Wodehouse's Summer Lightning from Amazon. When I try to look up a word in the New Oxford English Dictionary, I get the following message:

"Dictionary Not Found. There are no dictionaries on your device for this book's language. To download a dictionary, go to the Cloud or purchase one from the Kindle Store."

Very perplexing, as Wodehouse is considered by many to be the very epitome of English prose.

This doesn't happen with other English-language books.

Can I fix this on the kindle, or do I need to contact Amazon to correct the encoding of the book?

Edit: I should have added that this problem occurs on a Kindle Touch (despite what my profile says about having a Kindle 2).

Last edited by garyyoung; 04-17-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added information
garyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What word were you trying to look up? That might be the problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
garyyoung
garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.garyyoung never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What word were you trying to look up? That might be the problem.
It happens with all words. I've moved past the obscure words I looked up earlier, but I just tried "easy," "mattered," and "efficient" and got the same message.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just downloaded samples of Summer Lightning and Blandings Castle and get the same error you do on both. My guess would be that the publisher, W.W. Norton, or their conversion sub-contractor did something that screwed up the encoding so that the Kindle thinks it's in a different language than it is.

Contacting Kindle Support and perhaps contacting the publisher who has an eBook help form at http://books.wwnorton.com/books/help...aspx?tid=10047 might get them to get things fixed so that an updated Kindle version can be downloaded.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
garyyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just downloaded samples of Summer Lightning and Blandings Castle and get the same error you do on both. My guess would be that the publisher, W.W. Norton, or their conversion sub-contractor did something that screwed up the encoding so that the Kindle thinks it's in a different language than it is.

Contacting Kindle Support and perhaps contacting the publisher who has an eBook help form at http://books.wwnorton.com/books/help...aspx?tid=10047 might get them to get things fixed so that an updated Kindle version can be downloaded.
Thank you. I've notified Norton and Amazon.
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
For some odd reason the language code of both books is set to Arabic. Since it might take a while until Norton uploads fixed versions, you could try changing the language code to English with Java Mobi Metadata Editor.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Or get a Kindle Keyboard. It will ignore the language settings and just use whatever dictionary you have set as default.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Or get a Kindle Keyboard. It will ignore the language settings and just use whatever dictionary you have set as default.
Are you sure?

I have a Kindle Keyboard, and it correctly uses an English dictionary for English books and a French dictionary for French books. This is without any settings or changes on my part.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Run it through calibre - and reset the language in the metadata to English.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
garyyoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyyoung View Post
Thank you. I've notified Norton and Amazon.
What a frustrating experience I had with Amazon. I gave a description of the problem on one of their online customer service pages. Amazon emailed me to say that I needed to chat with a phone rep. I spent several minutes repeating all of the details to someone who didn't seem to have even glanced at my initial complaint and who didn't seem to have a clue what metadata is. Finally gave up and told them the process was taking more time than it was worth to me. I have a feeling I was put through a process designed to put obstacles in the way of people seeking a refund, when all I really wanted to do was report a minor problem.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I purchased the same book earlier this year - and decided it was easier to alter the metadata in calibre than to deal with someone on the phone who has never heard of metadata. It's quite simple to change the language on the metadata page - you just have to remember to re-convert the book back to the same file type to make the language change "stick"
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I always like to at least try to report problems to the store and publisher when I find them to hopefully save fellow readers from running into the same issue and also so that if it's a wider problem with that publishers books, like this seems to be, they can potentially put a fix into their workflow for future releases (and of course fix current ones).

That said experiences like the one Gary relates make it hard to continue to bother when it's something I can fix myself and be done with.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I always like to at least try to report problems to the store and publisher when I find them to hopefully save fellow readers from running into the same issue and also so that if it's a wider problem with that publishers books, like this seems to be, they can potentially put a fix into their workflow for future releases (and of course fix current ones).

That said experiences like the one Gary relates make it hard to continue to bother when it's something I can fix myself and be done with.
Reminds me of when I came across a couple of suspicious copies of The White Guard by Bulgakov in the Amazon store. There was little doubt that they were there in breach of copyright, but Amazon's processes don't let me report the issue unless I can prove I am the copyright owner or a legal representative of the copyright owner.

I guess it makes sense in some ways, but it means that the one or two illegal copies of that book on Amazon will continue to sell as I don't have it in me to track down the actual copyright owner and report it to them.

Sorry - bit OT, but it came to mind as I was reading this.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote