Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
Apps for Entourage

Has anyone tried the Appslib Market ?
http://appslib.com/applications/index.html
Several apps here are marked Archos approved, which I assume means they run on large screens.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
I tried to install the AppsLib app on the eDGe, but system wouldn't allow install on this "phone..." The eDGe is an "advanced Android device" n'est pas? With luck, a lot of the install and app access problems will be solved with the upcoming software update - hopefully.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

Disappointing

That is disappointing, however, many of those apps can be located on line and the apk downloaded. Maybe some of them will install correctly.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
enTourage posted on Twitter about its own apps store:

"We’ll be announcing our own app store soon, but we’re also trying to influence Google to open its store to non-phone devices."

Anybody find a decent site with apps that fill eDGe's screen, and not think it's a phone?
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

Trial and error I think

It seems it's all trial and error, it is the developer who decides the screen size support, and no site seems to include that info. Maybe in the future, as more large screen Android devices are released.
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I had posted a number of sites and apps and how they work, here: http://groups.google.com/group/entou...776a8c1caba4c6.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
So, I don't know as much as I'd like about the Android phones - just got around to trying to pull an APK file off my fiance's phone, to try installing on the eDGe, but can't seem to get the phone to show up as a storage device so I can explore the APK files...is there a trick???

I can't even find a way to explore the phone ON the phone - do I need to DL a specific app for that or something?

Thanks in advance.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

Getting the .apk

There are many ways to get the .apk file but the simplest for me was to first install Astro file manager and make a backup to the SD card. That backup will contain the .apk files for all unprotected apps. When you connect the phone to your computer it will need to be mounted, a notification will appear on the phone when it detects it has been plugged into a computer. Now look for your backup file on the SD card and you can find the .apk file you need, copy it to your computer or directly the SD card you will use on your Edge. You can also use Astro to email the backed up .apk to yourself and download it to your Edge.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
mgm1979
Zealot

got as far as looking for the apk files - found some, but not for most of the apps...not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place or what (think the folder was system\apps)...?

Never could get my computer to ask me to "mount" the SD card either...got frustrated and quit...will have to try again later.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur

Mounting

It is the phone that will ask you to mount, the notification will show on the Phone as USB connected - select to copy files to/from your computer. Touch that and it will mount and show as a removable drive on the computer, auto play may open at that point and you can choose to browse or go to my Computer and locate the removable drive. You don't want to look in system files, you want to create a backup using Astro and after it is mounted you will find the backup file on the SD card, which you mounted. When you are done use safely remove on the computer first and then dismount from the phones pull down windowshade notifications.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
mgm1979
Zealot

ahhhh...ok, that makes sense now...I'll have to try that later, thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
This site is very helpful:
http://www.androidfreeware.org/

Apps that work full screen:
Facebook
Google Maps
Twidroid
Dolphin Browser
NewsRob - Google Reader

Apps that work small window:
PaperDroid - RSS Reader

I will edit this as I test other apps.

Last edited by ckole; 04-01-2010 at 02:41 AM.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
miklos.klaar
miklos.klaar is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex Iliad, Entourage eDGe, Sharp Netwalker PC-T1
Talking I've tested over 40 apps and these are the best - full screen

This is also posted in the entourage forums.

This is my list:

Websharing 1.2.2 - login via a nice web interface to the device - music, videos, pictures, data

Executive Assistance+ 1.4.2 - This assembles gmail, gcal, twitter, facebook and google reader in one place - you set the uname/pwords for all accounts - also has a nice widget - this is one of the best apps I've found so far - looks amazing and integrates all your information feeds. An effective solutions for checking gcal events without going to the browser. I really like this.

aCurrency 2.01 - view exchange rates via nice widgets - indispensable for me.

Meebo - Full screen IM application supporting facebook chat as well as all others - DL directly from the meebo site - recommended.

Lastpass - this is secure password application - automatically fills passwords in the browser - the great thing about this is that you can sync with lastpass for just about any device - this is Excellent and looks great full screen.

TasKiller 2.7.0 - A task killer - works widget and full screen

Smart Keyboard Pro 1.17 - this will completely replace the onscreen keyboard for the better - nice feature and actually works properly.

Seesmic - A beautiful twitter client - potentially much nicer then Twidroid

RepliGo Reader 2.1.1 - You might ask me - Why would I want a pdf app that doesn't open on the eInk side - I say to you color and comics! This PDF reader is the business.

PowerTime Widget 1.6.3 - Tells you how much battery you have left based on the past battery performance - very handy

Opera Mini 5.0b - Seems to work - for Opera fans

Weather Widgets v4.1 - A nice selection of weather widgets - some look better then others but all very nice.

MobileWrite 1.1 - On screen handwriting recognition - it's slow but might work with some tweaking and practice.

Genie News and Weather Widget + App - This is a great application for google news and weather - even has image previews in the news list - recommended.

Personal Assistant Premium 1.4 - Pageonce.com is able to assemble all your data (financial, travel, utilities, etc.) from different websites and present it to you on the eDGe

Droidbox Beta 2.0.10 - Dropbox interface on you eDGe - interface looks great in full screen and works a treat

Better Terminal Emulator Pro 3.04 - Want to poke around in the eDGe - this terminal emulator lets you do it - can also use the ssh client after installing the custom shell

BBC - This lets you read BBC news feeds in full screen and have the latest headlines in widget form

aEdict 1.0 - Great Japanese dictionary and kanji recognition program - I am thrilled that this works full screen.

I've confirmed what other have - things lke Aldiko, Astrid, Real Scientific Calc all work.

I've tried to install several Japanese input methods but the keyboards do not show up on the eDGe. :-(

PM me if you would like more information.

Best,

M
miklos.klaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Miklos, thanks a lot for the info -very very helpful! Any chance you could point us to where you found the APK files for these - I can't seem to locate most of them via google.
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Draw and Share is a pretty neat app. It does show the inaccuracies of using the LCD as a drawing tablet though.

http://www.evtgroup.com/products-en.php
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote