Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #196
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post

I'd be interested to see your supporting references for that claim.

I'm opposed to the existence of this type of fiction, and my motivation is that I don't want to read it, I don't want my kids (when I have kids) to read it, I don't want their teachers or scout leaders reading it, I just don't want to live in a society where depictions of this sort of behavior are readily accepted as legitimate erotic stimulants.

I'm not at all bitter that someone makes money creating representations of illegal or perverse acts. Money has nothing to do with it.
So you're saying that no one else is allowed to do things that you don't like?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #197
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I think you miss the point, at least as far as Americans are concerned. First, when it comes to sex, sexuality, and anything related to sex (e.g., discussions about contraception), the American preference is to bury the head in the sand and hope it goes away. If it fails to go away, the next best thing is to ban under the belief that out of sight is out of mind. American attitudes toward sex and sex-related topics are more puritanical than were the Puritans' own attitudes.

Second, Americans, especially evangelical Christian Americans, firmly believe that their moral guidance is needed because no American can possibly be moral who doesn't adhere to the evangelical belief of the day. They are like horses with blinders when it comes to morals and morality.

Third, Americans tend to be gullible to the 30-second negative TV ad. If it is said in less than 30 seconds on TV and in a negative manner, then it must be true and it becomes the gospel of the masses. No matter how much evidence may accumulate to demonstrate the falsity of that ad, Americans are loathe to accept that they may have been wrong and so continue to perpetuate the false as the truth. Consequently, the mere fact that someone sometime declared writing about rape is disgusting and people should be banned from buying it is sufficient for that belief to continue and to grow. After all, if it weren't true it wouldn't have been said in America.

Fourth, a significant number of Americans believe that a woman's place is in the home, barefoot and pregnant, and in servitude to the male members of the household. They believe women are incapable of taking care of themselves and incapable of doing anything absent male guidance. In other words, they have a very byzantine attitude toward women, one that would readily be recognized in places like Afghanistan. As part of this belief, they believe that women need to be morally protected from such outrages as being able to read "racy" romance fiction that includes any type of titillation. Women simply do not have the moral stamina to not be led astray by these types of books and it is the male's duty to protect women from their weaknesses.

And the list goes on. American is not a leader in equal rights at the level of the citizen because of these attitudes, and because of the prevalence of these attitudes, censorship is considered a positive thing by much of the citizenry.
What a load of crap. All you have done here is a bunch of stereotyping. Pathetic.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #198
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
So you're saying that no one else is allowed to do things that you don't like?
Did I say that?
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #199
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I'm opposed to the existence of this type of fiction, and my motivation is that I don't want to read it, I don't want my kids (when I have kids) to read it, I don't want their teachers or scout leaders reading it, I just don't want to live in a society where depictions of this sort of behavior are readily accepted as legitimate erotic stimulants.

I'm not at all bitter that someone makes money creating representations of illegal or perverse acts. Money has nothing to do with it.
Good. Don't buy it. Don't read it. Don't let your kids read it.

As for everyone else you mentioned, mind your own business. If they commit a crime, then punish them for that crime.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #200
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did I say that?
Yes.

You said

Quote:
I'm opposed to the existence of this type of fiction, and my motivation is that I don't want to read it, I don't want my kids (when I have kids) to read it, I don't want their teachers or scout leaders reading it... SNIP
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #201
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes.

You said
So, the answer is actually, "No, I didn't say that." All I said was that I was opposed to certain behaviors. Did I say that those people weren't allowed to do what I opposed? I certainly did not say that.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #202
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have none. I'm not writing a thesis.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #203
djulian
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have none. I'm not writing a thesis.
Ah, simply tossing out ad hominem attacks then. Please don't.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #204
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
So, the answer is actually, "No, I didn't say that." All I said was that I was opposed to certain behaviors. Did I say that those people weren't allowed to do what I opposed? I certainly did not say that.
Nope, I feel that the word is... Yes.

You started a list of people (adults) who shouldn't be allowed to read materials you don't agree with. I'm sure the list goes on and on as you later speak about society. And how you don't want to live in this society.

What else would you call it?

I call shenanigans.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #205
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I suppose Kobo and other retailers that use PayPal will have to pull 'A Game of Thrones' now too since it has both incest (twincest) and underage sex.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #206
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I call shenanigans.
I do too.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #207
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Ah, simply tossing out ad hominem attacks then. Please don't.
??? Exactly who did I attack? You obviously don't fall into the group I described. Rejoice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #208
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
If PayPal says that Lolita is erotica, then that is all that matters. They are looking over your shoulder, judging a legal transaction between the buyer and the seller.
No they aren't.
They are deciding which sellers they want to have as customers.
They are not telling Smashwords that they will process payments for most books, but not some.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #209
djulian
Evangelist

Quote:
Nope, I feel that the word is... Yes.

You started a list of people (adults) who shouldn't be allowed to read materials you don't agree with. I'm sure the list goes on and on as you later speak about society. And how you don't want to live in this society.

What else would you call it?

I call shenanigans.

Fine. Call shenanigans. I don't mind. My actual wording was clear for anyone who cares to read it. It was:

Quote:
I said I am opposed to the existence of this fiction and it's because I don't want people reading it. I said nothing about whether or not they should be allowed to read it, only about whether I wanted them to do so or not. It is entirely possible for a person to wish a certain behavior would not happen and at the same time to recognize that it is inappropriate to force people not to practice that behavior. Like smoking--I don't want people to smoke, but it's not appropriate to forcibly proscribe smoking.

You are failing to recognize nuance.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #210
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I said I am opposed to the existence of this fiction and it's because I don't want people reading it. I said nothing about whether or not they should be allowed to read it, only about whether I wanted them to do so or not. It is entirely possible for a person to wish a certain behavior would not happen and at the same time to recognize that it is inappropriate to force people not to practice that behavior. Like smoking--I don't want people to smoke, but it's not appropriate to forcibly proscribe smoking.

You are failing to recognize nuance.
That's not nuance. If you say you are opposed to the existence of something, any reasonable person would think that you wanted it banned.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 02-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote