Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Using Calibre to convert pdf to epub

I have that misfortune to own many PDF's with tables and different fonts formatting so that when I convert it to ePub format with Calibre 0.7.23, tables and formatting are gone baby gone... all the text in the table becomes a single mangled string, and different fonts are turned into a single one, just like the rest of the text in the book.
Is there anything that user can do to keep the original formatting from pdf's into the new epub book, like set some special settings or something without manual touchup in Sigil (I am talking about books with 400- 2000 pages and hundreds of tables, so manual re- authoring is out of question)?
Previous version of Calibre wouldn't even convert from pdf to epub, 0.7.23 converts but with a steep price.
My Nook also doesn't like tables in PDF's... is there any way to keep the tables and special fonts intact?
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, varelov

You should get getting suggestions soon......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
I have that misfortune to own many PDF's
Having many PDF files isn't a misfortune, I imagine they are all well laid out books on subjects you are interested in.

Quote:
when I convert it to ePub format with Calibre 0.7.23, tables and formatting are gone baby gone... all the text in the table becomes a single mangled string
The results of trying to convert a "print" layout format (PDF) to a reflowable format (epub) are often laughable. You should still be able retain tables. Make sure you have Linearize tables unchecked under Preferences - Common options - Look and Feel.

Quote:
Is there anything that user can do to keep the original formatting from pdf's into the new epub book
No. My first suggestion is don't try to convert any PDF more complicated than a recreational novel. Any PDF more complicated should probably be left as a PDF and viewed using a PDF viewer.

However if you insist on trying I did notice that conversions to LRF have an option to convert tables to images and autorotation of wide images. Converting to LRF then to epub might produce something readable.

Quote:
Previous version of Calibre wouldn't even convert from pdf to epub, 0.7.23 converts but with a steep price.
Virtually every version of calibre has been capable of converting PDF files. There was a bug in 0.7.20 that did break PDF conversions and there possibly have been other hiccups along the way.

Quote:
is there any way to keep the tables and special fonts intact?
I don't think there is any way to accomplish this short of intensive manual intervention.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote