Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #1186
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The usual Libra 2/Nia/Clara 2E EPDC shenanigans?
Oh, well that sucks, but it doesn't really help me, I wish a new real competitor entered the E-Ink ereader world.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #1187
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Do try what I described earlier: if it doesn't crash with WiFi on, that's a pretty strong hint that it's the same issue(s) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2022, 02:00 AM   #1188
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do try what I described earlier: if it doesn't crash with WiFi on, that's a pretty strong hint that it's the same issue(s) .
But you stated that the wifi would fix the known issue.

I appreciate the help, but it's annoying.

When in Nickle and I upload a book it via usb using calibre it usually hangs when rebooting and updating it's database, with a hard reset it's fine in Nickel, but in KO Reader there will always be missing GUI elements that I need to do a dev to stable update to get it fixed. The desired new book does get added too, so it's merely annoying.

I have added the required line to ignore all the ui elements that Nickel picks up, but it still now has those elements in it's database, is there a quick way to remove those from it's database?

I have been able to successfully add books via Wifi with Calibre wirelessly, I'm not sure if that answers your question.

My issue with wirelessly adding books is that they go into the wrong default folder and I'm not sure how to change that in KO Reader, is there an easy way to tell KO Reader the default folder for wifi received books?

Last edited by jasius; 12-19-2022 at 02:03 AM.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:16 AM   #1189
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Ideally, as a wish, KOReader would completely separate its "data" files from its "system" files, so even as things change, all you would have to do is backup one folder and it would (almost always) survive future updates (like the recent defaults.custom.lua change that I only found out about after restoring my old backup and losing my defaults settings). This would mean moving settings.reader.lua, defaults.custom.lua, styletweaks, custom fonts, history, screenshots, patches to the existing "settings" folder, so we can just back up that "settings" folder. The SDR files are fine where they are among the books imo.

My backup script as of today, mostly based on @NiLuJe's script above but updated for the latest KOReader. I run it when the Kindle/Kobo is connected over USB to a Mac. The LIBRARY_ROOT, KOREADER_DIR, and TMPFS_PATH lines are for Kindle right now, but the Kobo alternative is commented out, so you can switch to that version if you use Kobo. Or adapt these 3 paths to whatever computer OS and ereader you have.

Quote:
# Catch failures
set -e
set -o pipefail

# Root directory of the Library
LIBRARY_ROOT="/Volumes/Kindle/books"
#LIBRARY_ROOT="/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.books"

# KOReader install directory
KOREADER_DIR="/Volumes/Kindle/koreader"
#KOREADER_DIR="/Volumes/KOBOeReader/.adds/koreader"

# We'll work in a tmpfs
cd ~/Desktop
TMPFS_PATH="kindle-koreader-$(date +%F)"
#TMPFS_PATH="kobo-koreader-$(date +%F)"
mkdir -p "${TMPFS_PATH}"
cd "${TMPFS_PATH}"

# Start by collecting the list of sidecar directories we'll want to backup...
echo "* Computing sidecar folders list . . ."
find "${LIBRARY_ROOT}" -type d -name '*.sdr' -print0 > sidecar_list
echo

# Then we want to backup KOReader's settings
echo "* Computing KOReader settings list . . ."
KO_FILES="cache/calibre/libraries.lua cache/calibre/books.dat defaults.custom.lua history.lua settings.reader.lua"
KO_FOLDERS="clipboard history settings styletweaks patches screenshots fonts/custom"
# Allow skipping dictionaries...
if [ "$#" -ge 1 ] ; then
KO_DICT_FOLDERS=""
else
KO_DICT_FOLDERS="data/dict data/tessdata"
fi
for path in ${KO_FILES} ${KO_FOLDERS} ${KO_DICT_FOLDERS} ; do
echo -en "${KOREADER_DIR}/${path}\0" >> koreader_list
done
echo

# Compute the final list
cat sidecar_list koreader_list > input_file_list

# Tar it up...
BACKUP_FILE="${TMPFS_PATH}.tar.gz"
echo "* Creating tarball . . ."
bsdtar -cf "${BACKUP_FILE}" --zstd -T input_file_list --null --exclude '*.old' --exclude '*.old_dom*' --exclude '*.old.[0-9]' || true
echo

# Remove lists
rm -f sidecar_list koreader_list input_file_list

# Move tar to Desktop
mv "${BACKUP_FILE}" ~/Desktop/

# Remove temp folder
cd ~/Desktop
rm -rf "${TMPFS_PATH}"

# We're done! Don't actually unmount the tmpfs just yet... ;o)
echo "* Done, backup stored in ~/Desktop/${BACKUP_FILE}"

Last edited by mbrisco; 12-19-2022 at 02:19 AM.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #1190
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
But you stated that the wifi would fix the known issue.
Which was entirely my point: we won't know if it's actually the same issue until you try.

Remember, I have *never* had any of the affected device, so I'm just making extremely shaky assumptions. If everyone gives up without trying stuff, we'll never get anything done on that front.
Advert
Old 12-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #1191
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
When in Nickle and I upload a book it via usb using calibre it usually hangs when rebooting and updating it's database, with a hard reset it's fine in Nickel, but in KO Reader there will always be missing GUI elements that I need to do a dev to stable update to get it fixed. The desired new book does get added too, so it's merely annoying.

I have added the required line to ignore all the ui elements that Nickel picks up, but it still now has those elements in it's database, is there a quick way to remove those from it's database?
It's unclear to me whether this is actually a Nickel DB issue or simply a good old filesystem corruption one .

If the ignore directives takes, nothing makes it to the DB *at all*, so I'd be inclined to vote for "FS corruption" .

(As for why KOReader and not Nickel: KOReader lives in the onboard, USBMS partition: that's FAT32, which is not journalled, and notoriously terrible at recovering from system faults. Nickel, on the other hand, lives in the rootfs, which uses a sane journalled Linux fs).
Old 12-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #1192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
My issue with wirelessly adding books is that they go into the wrong default folder and I'm not sure how to change that in KO Reader, is there an easy way to tell KO Reader the default folder for wifi received books?
[Tools] > Calibre > Wireless settings > Set inbox folder
Old 12-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #1193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mbrisco: I don't actually know why we never moved everything to settings (I suspect because the folder came later than the reader.settings stuff), but it is mildly annoying indeed ;p.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:14 AM   #1194
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Amazon Kindle basic
Hello and greetings to all from Greece!! My aunt just gifted me an amazon kindle basic 3 (2019) unregistered with 5.14.2 fw and S/N G090VB06151209BC.I read the best words about koreader.I want to ask if this pure device supports this awesome app!And if so,the way he/she jailbreaked it!Thanks in advance and sorry for my newbiness,but i really need help here.
kos25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #1195
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k View Post
Hello and greetings to all from Greece!! My aunt just gifted me an amazon kindle basic 3 (2019) unregistered with 5.14.2 fw and S/N G090VB06151209BC.I read the best words about koreader.I want to ask if this pure device supports this awesome app!And if so,the way he/she jailbreaked it!Thanks in advance and sorry for my newbiness,but i really need help here.
Do not turn on wifi, make the jb, install KOReader.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346037
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #1196
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Do not turn on wifi, make the jb, install KOReader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346037
So my model is supported?i searched a lot,but models issue is quite confusing!So the process is at first of this topic right?
Old 01-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #1197
kos25k
Connoisseur

Guys i finally installed koreader.But now E-books doesnt appear on home screen when i transfer them with copying to kindle folder (but i can read them only with koreader) and they appear on homescreen when i transfer them with calibre (but i can read them only with stock reader) Is there any way to can read them with both ways?

Last edited by kos25k; 01-29-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:50 AM   #1198
kos25k
Connoisseur

Guys i finally made to get some satisfying results on my kindle basic.Only thing is,can i somehow reduce the big gap between paragraphs?Its really big..
Old 02-05-2023, 05:53 AM   #1199
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You can look for style tweaks in the user guide: http://koreader.rocks/koreader-user-guide.pdf
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #1200
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Things to check are class “p” and its margin properties, as well as class “empty-line”.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch