Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
siegy
siegy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD/Kindle 4
Moon+ Reader - is there a book "limit"?

I have used Moon for several years and Caliber as a manager on my PC even longer. I have a Hauwei mediapad 3 (2 months now) and finally got to updating the library on the tablet over Caliber. I am an avid and fast reader and collect a lot of books. When I have read books, as a rule I delete them from the tablet, and from time to time I clear out books that I think I probably won't read after all.

After the update on the the Hauwei I have about 450 - 500 books on it. (I had a similar number on my Galaxy A Tab using Moon without problems)
But the problem is, now Moon disappears as soon as it tries to open and load the covers. The app is actually still there, but if I try to open the window again the same thing happens: i see the "Bookcase" sand then . . . .nothing.
Any suggestions. I'd rather keep Moon, but I may have to switch readers.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by siegy; 03-01-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Smilie doesn't work
siegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I don't believe Moon+ imposes a hard limit. I had ~1000 books on my 1st gen Moto G (Jelly Bean then updated to KitKat).

It sounds to me like Moon is just crashing. Maybe try deleting data and uninstalling the app then reinstalling? Could just be a corrupted file/setting somewhere.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by siegy View Post
After the update on the the Hauwei I have about 450 - 500 books on it. (I had a similar number on my Galaxy A Tab using Moon without problems)
It may have an upper limit but 4-500 books certainly isn't close to the limit. First I would power down the device and bring it back up. Then I would do as ilovejedd said, "try deleting data and uninstalling the app then reinstalling" If after trying that you still have issues something else might be going on with your device.

Personally I use Calibre Companion app to manage / sort / launch my books. I still open the books in Moon+ Reader Pro, but CC is so much nicer for managing my books with calibre.

Good luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
siegy

Thank you both for your advice. I'm glad that 500 books isn't seen as nearing any kind of limit.

In the meantime, frustrated and impatient (did I wait 5 minutes? Or maybe 10?) I started looking at other readers and ended up installing three others, none of which was satisfying, one because the system was impossible, or (for the other two) they only loaded about 240 from 500+ into the bookshelves.

I ended up doing what you have suggested and what I should have done first: shut down and reopened, then I uninstalled Moon Reader, shut down again, reopened and reinstalled. Voila! Everything OK again. I didn't BTW delete the books, I left them there and it worked.

I'm actually thinking of laying out the money for the Pro version, but I'm unsure if it offers me anything better than the free (except no ads, of course).
Thanks again for taking the time
Old 03-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I ended up doing what you have suggested and what I should have done first: shut down and reopened, then I uninstalled Moon Reader, shut down again, reopened and reinstalled. Voila! Everything OK again. I didn't BTW delete the books, I left them there and it worked.
That's good.

By the way, when I mentioned deleting data, I didn't mean the books. I was referring to going to Settings - Storage & USB - Apps. From there, you can clear cache or app data. That's typically my first step if an app is misbehaving and thus far, it's always managed to fix things without needing to reinstall.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I'm actually thinking of laying out the money for the Pro version, but I'm unsure if it offers me anything better than the free (except no ads, of course).
Thanks again for taking the time
According to their web site:

Ad-free (the main difference)
Shake the phone to speak (Text-to-speech, TTS engine support)
PDF multiple annotations support, fast & speech compatible
More beautiful themes, background images and fonts
Customize reader bar function
Headset & Bluetooth keys control
Multi-point touch support
Option for password protection at startup
Book to home screen shortcut
Widget shelf support, group your favorite books, put them to desktop as widget
Customer email support

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
robilarocn
Enthusiast
robilarocn began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2 8"
I have (currently) 11976 books in moon reader pro on my android tablet. Runs like a charm as long as you have a fast device....
robilarocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
siegy

robilarocn

Wow! I'll never doubt again. It's obvious now there are no library size limits. And I thank you all for your help & suggestions.

Tags
closes, crashes, moon+, number of books