Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
reader1738
reader1738 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to sync non-Amazon ebooks

I purchased an ebook in Mobi format from a seller other than Amazon. I used the Send to Kindle application on my PC to send it to my Kindle device (strangely, by Kindle for PC was not on the list of options - more on this later). It was delivered to my device right away, and I happily read it. I made many highlights (as I often do), and I wanted to see those highlights on my PC to prepare some teaching notes. However, I discovered that the book did not appear on my Kindle for PC. I also checked my history of highlights at https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights and they were not there either. I started to worry at this point, thinking that I will only ever have access to my highlights on the Kindle device itself.

I called Amazon support and here's what we learned: we went to Manage Your Content and Devices and clicked on Your Content. The book did not appear under Books, but DID appear under Docs. I then clicked on the action button next to my book and clicked the Deliver to: Others link. This brought up a window with a drop-down list of all my devices - except that my Kindle for PC or the Amazon Cloud Reader were greyed out. I picked my iPhone, and sure enough the book appeared there with my highlights (yay!). I then went to my iPad (without sending the book there explicitly using the Amazon site) and it was there with my highlights again.

Short version: If you send a third-party mobi book to your kindle, it will sync between Kindle apps, but only if they are on a Kindle, iOS or Android device; the cloud reader and PC applications (maybe Mac, too?) will not have the book or its associated notes/highlights.
reader1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader1738 View Post
Short version: If you send a third-party mobi book to your kindle, it will sync between Kindle apps, but only if they are on a Kindle, iOS or Android device; the cloud reader and PC applications (maybe Mac, too?) will not have the book or its associated notes/highlights.
Yep. It's been discussed here quite a bit.

It would be nice if Amazon would get all features working on all devices & apps across the board, but they don't seem to be worried much about making that happen.

Welcome to MR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader1738 View Post
Copy your mobi book to Documents\My Kindle Content on your Windows PC.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Copy your mobi book to Documents\My Kindle Content on your Windows PC.
Copying just the book may not (probably won't) bring the highlights and notes.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, non-amazon ebook, sync