Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #196
MrAkai
MrAkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
I am having an interesting aspect ratio issue with Calibre and comics input.

I have a PRS-950 replacing a PRS-600.

On the PRS-600 I left "keep aspect ratio" unchecked since I wanted maximum readability. With the slightly larger screen on the 950, I did some test conversions with "Keep aspect ratio" checked. I also changed my page setup to Sony Reader 900 (assuming it matches the 950 as well) for both input and output profiles.

My original images were 823x1200 or roughly 0.685 aspect ratio

Math tells me the new ones should be 600x875 to match. Instead Calibre (CBZ to EPUB) converts them into 600x999 images.

They seem slightly "stretched" vertically to me, but that could just be me used to the stretched horizontal results on the prs-600.

So long story long, is Calibre not keeping aspect as requested? Is it padding to reach 999 pixels, or is it trimming whitespace off the size and scaling correctly? Or something else I'm just too dumb to figure out?

Thanks!
MrAkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #197
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre adds a border to images when the aspect ratio of the input image is different from the aspect ratio of the target screen
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #198
MrAkai
MrAkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
Thanks! Loving Calibre, keep up the excellent work!
MrAkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #199
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
I was hoping to ask before making the CBC file which is the zip file of cbz does that mean in the comics.txt I need to write one.cbz etc? Or do I rename the "comics" to the name of the comic or manga e.g. Naruto V1.txt
comics.txt
one.cbz
two.cbz
three.cbz
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #200
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ok-collections
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #201
sl33p3r
sl33p3r began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
ok i'll increase the width by 10px as well
I just installed and tried 0.7.32 and the conversion works. The converted pages fit perfect now.

Thank You.
sl33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #202
Erikku
Erikku began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
I just installed and tried 0.7.32 and the conversion works. The converted pages fit perfect now.

Thank You.
Are you just using the default settings for the Nook Color profile? I can't seem to get the pages to fit correctly. There's always significant space available above the image :/
Erikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #203
sl33p3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikku View Post
Are you just using the default settings for the Nook Color profile? I can't seem to get the pages to fit correctly. There's always significant space available above the image :/
The only thing I changed/checked was:
Disable conversion of images to black and white & Disable trimming

With that the page fills the screen, except for about 3/4" of the top, which after looking at some text books from B&N, I believe is reserved space for the page header.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #204
sl33p3r

JPG Compression

Is there a way to adjust the amount of compression when using JPG?

When I use PNG the images look good, but the epub file is twice the size as the cbz file.

when I use JPG the file size is about the same as the cbz file, but the affects from the compression are pretty noticeable. If I can play with the amount of compression, I could find the happy medium between size and image quality.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #205
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you can run calibre from source and play with it to your hearts content. Instructions in the User Manual, comic code in calibre/ebooks/comic/input.py
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #206
spaldingclan
spaldingclan began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
new Iview 700eb

any chance we could add a profile for the iview 700e? it's a 480x800 ereader.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #207
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think it's better to just add a setting to comic input to specify an optional screen size to override the profile settings.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #208
spaldingclan
spaldingclan began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I think it's better to just add a setting to comic input to specify an optional screen size to override the profile settings.
How do I do that?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #209
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you cannot do that (unless you're willing to hack on the code).
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #210
matthewsackmann
matthewsackmann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Hey all,
I am completely in love with Calibre and hardly use Sony Reader software at all (only for my standby screens) for my new 950.
I have a few questions regarding cbr and cbz files and Calibre:
#1: It seems when I import the files only the cbz's have covers. All of the cbr's I input are defaulted to Calibre's generic cover. Which is then changed to a metadata cover when I convert the file to epub. Is it possible to get Calibre to read the first image of the cbr? Or do I manually have to add it to the metadata before converting?
#2: I have found that with some bad scans, the margins are not trimmed in the conversion as well as I would like them. Is there a way to manually set the amount trimmed from the borders of the images in the conversion process? Or should I resort to cropping the files in a separate program before importing them?

Many thanks for the program, Kovidgoyal! And thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me in my plight.
-Matt
matthewsackmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, comic